Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 09:35 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty108 View Post
You must be joking. They've already taken over Portland. The city has changed overnight into North Boston. I've seen several people already flee Portland to get away from it. And the rich urban yuppies from New York City are buying up houses all up the coast at least to Bar Harbor to live in year-round. This stuff moves farther north every year and there is no end in sight.
Portland has been a 'bedroom community' of Boston for decades. With the 'DownEaster' Amtrak passenger train a person could live in Portland and commute into Boston every day. I think they have extended it all the way up into Brunswick Maine. I have seen rumblings afoot of extending it up into Bangor someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 09:43 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Portland has been a 'bedroom community' of Boston for decades. With the 'DownEaster' Amtrak passenger train a person could live in Portland and commute into Boston every day. I think they have extended it all the way up into Brunswick Maine. I have seen rumblings afoot of extending it up into Bangor someday.
Same in Montana. In Bozeman, (Aspen North), the teleworkers only have to attend one meeting a week, so they live in Bozeman and fly out to their meeting and back usually in one day. Lots of airline pilots do the same since they only fly once a week or so.

We get tons of refugees fleeing the hordes of californians invading their home states, and some of the californians too. Our bad weather and low pay sends most of them back, but not enough.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:01 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I know my schtick is getting old.
But I’m very prejudice against city people.
They basically destroyed the quality of life where I came from.
I had to flee from the country to the deeper country. It just got to be too much for me, and many others as well.
So I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but every time I see or hear about this urban flight it boils my blood over. I just have such contempt for these people it’s hard to turn it off sometimes.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:59 PM

119 posts, read 117,267 times
I feel you on that one

Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I know my schtick is getting old.
But I’m very prejudice against city people.
They basically destroyed the quality of life where I came from.
I had to flee from the country to the deeper country. It just got to be too much for me, and many others as well.
So I apologize if I sound like a broken record, but every time I see or hear about this urban flight it boils my blood over. I just have such contempt for these people it’s hard to turn it off sometimes.
While I get what you're saying... is there something specific about them? or is it their habits and behaviors?

For instance there were some people who started a hydroponic business by me who knew nothing about growing things and more importantly how to sell what they grow. They now have made it a successful business and seem like good people. They went all in and made a go of it. I'm OK with that.

What I don't like is the (in town) folks who keep their horses at a local stable... hunter/jumper people. They actually called the Sherriff on me for shooting on my own property and don't like the idea of my dogs running loose... well I'm down to one dog now, but you get the point. My dogs don't get after their horses and stay inside my fence line. These are part timers who board their high dollar horses and **** me off.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:57 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
While I get what you're saying... is there something specific about them? or is it their habits and behaviors?

For instance there were some people who started a hydroponic business by me who knew nothing about growing things and more importantly how to sell what they grow. They now have made it a successful business and seem like good people. They went all in and made a go of it. I'm OK with that.

What I don't like is the (in town) folks who keep their horses at a local stable... hunter/jumper people. They actually called the Sherriff on me for shooting on my own property and don't like the idea of my dogs running loose... well I'm down to one dog now, but you get the point. My dogs don't get after their horses and stay inside my fence line. These are part timers who board their high dollar horses and **** me off.
It’s basically they bring their city/suburb lifestyle with them.
They come in to escape the hustle and bustle and such, then proceed to try to change our way of life to suit their needs. They move to a rural small town and then encourage development, “we need a 24 hour convenience store” “we need a traffic light” “we need more streetlights” etc…
Then they do other things like call the cops on (legal) atv riders, they call the cops every time they hear gunshots because they are in dreadful fear of their life and how irresponsible it is to be shooting guns. Really? You live in the country, this is what “we” do. They complain about the farmers who work at all hours of the night which has been going on for generations. And, every last one of them drives like a complete *******.
Then there’s just some nitpick stuff like clear cutting their land(because they’re afraid of trees and don’t want to clean up all the leaves)and putting up vinyl fencing, I know it’s kinda petty, but it’s really the whole package.
Many are of different political beliefs and try to push it on the community.

To be fair, there are those that are transplants who are genuinely good people, who ASSIMILATE into the community and lifestyle. No problem there. But they really are the exception.
The majority just come in like a tornado and turn our lives upside down.

And that’s my story.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:01 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
One thing for sure, once they pave the roads... there goes the neighborhood. True statement even if it sounds funny.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:07 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
One thing for sure, once they pave the roads... there goes the neighborhood. True statement even if it sounds funny.
I agree.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:55 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’s basically they bring their city/suburb lifestyle with them.
They come in to escape the hustle and bustle and such, then proceed to try to change our way of life to suit their needs. They move to a rural small town and then encourage development, “we need a 24 hour convenience store” “we need a traffic light” “we need more streetlights” etc…
Then they do other things like call the cops on (legal) atv riders, they call the cops every time they hear gunshots because they are in dreadful fear of their life and how irresponsible it is to be shooting guns. Really? You live in the country, this is what “we” do. They complain about the farmers who work at all hours of the night which has been going on for generations. And, every last one of them drives like a complete *******.
Then there’s just some nitpick stuff like clear cutting their land(because they’re afraid of trees and don’t want to clean up all the leaves)and putting up vinyl fencing, I know it’s kinda petty, but it’s really the whole package.
Many are of different political beliefs and try to push it on the community.

To be fair, there are those that are transplants who are genuinely good people, who ASSIMILATE into the community and lifestyle. No problem there. But they really are the exception.
The majority just come in like a tornado and turn our lives upside down.

And that’s my story.
Quote:
I agree. Both of you seem to have a good understanding of things.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:34 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,276,136 times
I like dirt or gravel roads. If a pothole develops, just fill it and keep going. When I lived on a gravel road, everyone kept a bucket of a gravel/clay mix that we used on potholes. When the county paved the roads, we were told to promptly report any problems since they had a waiting list for road repairs.

Also, we never had anyone speed down our gravel road. They did on the paved road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness