Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 11:09 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
What am I doing to prepare? Well, I recycle my plastic bottles, metal cans, and card board. Have been for at least 30 years. And when I retired I moved to Central Florida instead of either coast. So I'm good for now, and at my age, that's all i need to worry about.
I looked at the maps for el Nino and la Nina. Looked at how they affect the weather patterns.

I am in a location that is barely effected by climate change.

Now, if only we can keep the political climate in check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 05:59 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,214,139 times
After living in NW Arkansas for a little over two years I got hit by a storm that knocked out my power for about 4 hours along with a widespread area. I got my generator out and run the snakes all through the house to power up my smoker, TV, lamp, coffee pot (most important one in my wife's opinion) and internet. The power came back on before I plugged in the two freezers and two refrigerator.
I will be getting a transfer switch put in soon. In fact I have already scheduled an electrician to come out to look this week.

With the storms getting stronger I want to be better prepared a little. The storm also put a hurt on my wife's tomato plants. She had a lot of tomatoes on the ground with a lot of broke/bent tomato stalks.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After living in NW Arkansas for a little over two years I got hit by a storm that knocked out my power for about 4 hours along with a widespread area. I got my generator out and run the snakes all through the house to power up my smoker, TV, lamp, coffee pot (most important one in my wife's opinion) and internet. The power came back on before I plugged in the two freezers and two refrigerator.
I will be getting a transfer switch put in soon. In fact I have already scheduled an electrician to come out to look this week.

With the storms getting stronger I want to be better prepared a little. The storm also put a hurt on my wife's tomato plants. She had a lot of tomatoes on the ground with a lot of broke/bent tomato stalks.
I can't remember the last time I ran one of our generators for a power outage. Usually the outages aren't long enough to be worth the hassle and noise. I do try to run them periodically for maintenance but honestly I'm behind schedule on that too.

For short power outages where it's simply a matter of convenience I use a cheap 300 watt Ryobi inverter that runs off of one our lawn mower batteries. It can power the entire living room including large flat screen TV for just over 2 hours per battery.

One of the best cheap investments I made for power outages are those LED light bulbs with a built-in battery so the lights stay on when the power goes out. I've tried a few brands and they are all very similar. This is the last type I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Old 06-20-2023, 05:23 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,214,139 times
I had one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that worked pretty good. These kicked on as soon as the power went off. I may get a few more. I also had two Worx lights/batteries that I used.

I have had brief power outages in the past, but this one seemed like it would be off for a while. I checked the power company outage app and there was over 3,000 people without power in my area. I figured I needed to get my meat on my smoker, so I pulled the generator out. I have run in several times to keep it in good condition and it was already full of gas. It only took me about 20 minutes to get everything up and running.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:24 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,182,525 times
I am doing nothing.

The Democrats are playing on peoples fears of storms and losing their homes to get more money from them. They make investments in products that are forced on the consumer, taxpayer by using fear mongering.

I know it's good to cut down on emissions and all that but this constant changing things around to force people to pay more money on products and replace large appliances or spend extra for fluids no long permitted to use is really just another rip off.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:54 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I am doing nothing.

The Democrats are playing on peoples fears of storms and losing their homes to get more money from them. They make investments in products that are forced on the consumer, taxpayer by using fear mongering.

I know it's good to cut down on emissions and all that but this constant changing things around to force people to pay more money on products and replace large appliances or spend extra for fluids no long permitted to use is really just another rip off.
I agree with you, on all of that. Except maybe the emissions thing: I think we are already at the rational limits of emissions reductions.

Climate change is real, it just isn't man made. It has changed before, and it will change again. Man's efforts are like a kid running up and down the center isle of a bus: no noticeable effect on the bus's operation.

I am a bit concerned about a possible Carrington Event (thus the generator) and the possibility that Putin might do something to mess with us. So I got myself near water and have some food, cash and gas set aside.

Stationing myself near the eye of the storm (of climate change) was almost an afterthought.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:15 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,182,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I agree with you, on all of that. Except maybe the emissions thing: I think we are already at the rational limits of emissions reductions.

Climate change is real, it just isn't man made. It has changed before, and it will change again. Man's efforts are like a kid running up and down the center isle of a bus: no noticeable effect on the bus's operation.

I am a bit concerned about a possible Carrington Event (thus the generator) and the possibility that Putin might do something to mess with us. So I got myself near water and have some food, cash and gas set aside.

Stationing myself near the eye of the storm (of climate change) was almost an afterthought.
It won't do us any good to cut down on emissions with EV vehicles when China is worse than the US and since they became rich from the US buying their sold goods I believe they contribute double emissions/pollution than the US. The only worry I have is knowing how stupid our Government is so much so that we the people will end up paying for their grand scheme to get China on board using our tax dollars to do it.

It's good that you set yourself up to hopefully survive a SHTF that will eventually happen in this country. Thing is Putin could bomb the crap out of us just he is doing with Ukraine. All those bombs from him in Ukraine and Kim Jong Un using his missiles I venture to say it's not just our transportation creating the pollution, although it is a large part of it here just not enough to cause climate change. I agree its not from us it is a natural for the earth to change and go through cycles.

Geez next time Hawaii has multiple volcanic eruptions I bet they say that is climate change and the emissions are causing them to happen.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times
Well...I was born and grew up in California- I can remember one point where I could count on one hand how many times we had an actual good rain in , literally, 20 years. Bigtime drought- but it did like the climate usually does, it ended- after a very long time, but end it did. I personally believe that weather patterns come and go, that it's perfectly normal- good years/decades, bad years/decades, and that's the way of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness