Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 02:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

I saw an old thread on BOLS popped up again. Reading my old comments made during the first covid lockdown was interesting.

But now we are (or are we?) faced with new threats. Traditional bug out locations in the west are running out of water, or burning down. Entire towns. Entire forests. Heck they just barely saved So. Lake Tahoe, and that fire is still burning. I live in the desert and even we have been smoked out several times this summer.

Places like the PNW, the Idaho "Redoubt" north of Boisie, the Bitterroot Valley of Montana, the Colorado Rockies, are drying up, heating up (115 deg in CANADA!) and burning up!

Other areas like coastal Maine may (will) be impacted by sea rise. So much for escaping to an atol in the south seas, they are already starting evacuations. Hurricaines are getting worse, flooding in places (PA) that haven't been previously affected.

Many rural areas are being "discovered" by "Zoomers" working at home, bringing Silicone Valley incomes to previously lower cost areas. I read Boisie is the fastest growing/appreciating city in the country. This is impacting the ability of people to afford second homes (BOLs).

People are moving into cheap RV's and vans and living (often illegally) in our forests and BLM lands - often trashing places, leaving sewage, starting forest fires, and causing a wild land crime wave. I reported six stolen cars last winter dumped in my local area. In Moab, UT a grisly double murder of two women camping (van life nomads) just occurred. In SW CO a guy who has had numerous arrests was found to have all sorts of swords and weapons at a campsite near Telluride. It's becoming a "new" Wild West.

In many places "newcomers" are distinctly unwelcome. Just the physical ability to reach some places was in in jeprody last year. What if things do get worse? Will it even BE possible to bug out?

What are your opinions? How do we counter or work around these trends? Where do we go now?

Last edited by jamies; 09-10-2021 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 04:31 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Anyone who has a good location is not going to post that on a website that goes out world-wide.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:51 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Yeah, I would definitely say it's terrible here and folks should stay someplace safe, like California maybe, or Chicago........

Old 09-10-2021, 06:50 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Up here we just push 'em back downstate into "greater Boston". No smoke, no drought, and no steenkin climate change in the north woods. Stay in Boston, boys, ain't nuthin up here but moose, bears, and bigfoot.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:51 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Ugh these damn cidiots. They’re like a cancer.
It’d be one thing if they assimilate but they don’t.
They just leave a path of destruction.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:50 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
People are moving into cheap RV's and vans and living (often illegally) in our forests and BLM lands - often trashing places, leaving sewage, starting forest fires, and causing a wild land crime wave. I reported six stolen cars last winter dumped in my local area. In Moab, UT a grisly double murder of two women camping (van life nomads) just occurred. In SW CO a guy who has had numerous arrests was found to have all sorts of swords and weapons at a campsite near Telluride. It's becoming a "new" Wild West.
I recently watched that movie "Nomadland" and thought it painted a little too rosy and romanticized of a picture of that lifestyle, living nomadically in vans and campers, often women alone, with little to no mention of the possibility of violence or crime.

That may have been a viable or even attractive option for living and escaping the cities several years ago; probably not so safe anymore. Too many nuts out there, even in the wilderness and back country spaces.

It's unfortunate. but a reality of the times we are in.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:39 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Anyone who has a good location is not going to post that on a website that goes out world-wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItY97aye53A

Old 09-11-2021, 08:32 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I recently watched that movie "Nomadland" and thought it painted a little too rosy and romanticized of a picture of that lifestyle, living nomadically in vans and campers, often women alone, with little to no mention of the possibility of violence or crime.

That may have been a viable or even attractive option for living and escaping the cities several years ago; probably not so safe anymore. Too many nuts out there, even in the wilderness and back country spaces.

I don't know....
I used to have a job recently that took me all over the country and in almost every type of place imaginable.
Sure there are dangers, but I also think people can be a bit overly cautious as well.

To me, Nomadland didn't romanticize anything. It simply pointed out that some people prefer to live that way. I can relate to some extent. I'd probably want a cheap piece of land somewhere that doesn't require excessive maintenance while I'm travelling about but still have something to go to when the world gets crazy.

As for the OP's premise, sure many places out west are being overrun with people who have more dollars than sense. Even in those states, cheap land can still be attained for the time being.
I don't see the Ozarks or many part of Appalachia becoming too expensive anytime soon, just a bit more crowded in places.

As for climate change, it's just a moment in time. Droughts end. Floods subside. Our window is too small for wild speculations.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:16 PM

140 posts, read 166,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Up here we just push 'em back downstate into "greater Boston". No smoke, no drought, and no steenkin climate change in the north woods. Stay in Boston, boys, ain't nuthin up here but moose, bears, and bigfoot.
You must be joking. They've already taken over Portland. The city has changed overnight into North Boston. I've seen several people already flee Portland to get away from it. And the rich urban yuppies from New York City are buying up houses all up the coast at least to Bar Harbor to live in year-round. This stuff moves farther north every year and there is no end in sight.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:45 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

It was ok only several years ago but not now? Things changed that much in that little time outside the cities? How so?

I only read up to the post above before commenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness