Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 05:06 AM

81 posts, read 77,803 times

Advertisements

It's not easy to tell what I am going to tell but here we go...

I come from a country with very high unemployment and I have been unemployed almost all my life. My parents helped me to survive during all these times. In my home country you only have a job if have contacts or you are very good with outstanding resume to get a permanent job. Unemployment is usually above 15% and structural. During the time I was unemployed I have been studying hard. I have 2 degrees and a master's degree in an engineering field, which cost me a lot of years, and also several courses.

With my very little experience, education and language skills I finally got a job abroad in a known and big company, but in a country with very low salaries, but at least here unemployment is average which is far easier to get a job than in my home country. Now things are different, I have a small kid and I earn around 990 euro per month but I have to pay for rent 650 euro per month (including utilities) which makes things very difficult for me. I am loosing money every month, I only purchase very basic things, I have no TV, no car, we always go everywhere by walk not even transport, only eventually using uber which is roughly 3 or 4 euro for trip. Fortunately I saved money during all my life for situations like this, but in the long term I will run out of money.

I would like to ask you how can I earn some extra money, just to purchase food and cover other necessary costs as for now is impossible to return my home country as there I will be homeless and unemployed as seems I am not qualified to get a job there. Also my parents are retired, they help me with 100 euro per month and definitely helps, but I have to pay now for mandatory legal migration services that is expensive for me, and also cover other costs.

Please do not judge me so hard. Unfortunately not all the people is lucky enough to born in a country with possibilities to grow and have a normal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 05:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
You are not alone in struggling to make ends meet.
what country are you from and what country are you in now?
You can consider selling online on Ebay.AMZN,Etsy,Facebook,look around where you are and see if there is something you can source locally,go to those sites and see what sells/

Old 07-31-2022, 05:23 AM

Home country: Spain, Country where Im living: Slovakia

Old 07-31-2022, 05:46 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,150,939 times
I checked umemployment statistics for both countries. You are correct, Spain has a high unemployment rate. I'm surprised its at that level. Slovakia is around 6%. Do you work in the engineering field? I checked Spain's employment stats by region. Some areas of Spain are comparable to Slovakia.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-by-province/

Old 07-31-2022, 07:47 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,069,433 times
In addition to the above question, do you have any other skills that are marketable?.
And make a list of all your expenditures(bills), what can you eliminate?
Also, if you are able to; use Euros to pay for things; it is proven that using cash causes one to hesitate more than using plastic.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I checked umemployment statistics for both countries. You are correct, Spain has a high unemployment rate. I'm surprised its at that level. Slovakia is around 6%. Do you work in the engineering field? I checked Spain's employment stats by region. Some areas of Spain are comparable to Slovakia.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-by-province/
Overall there are very few permanent contracts, most of them, even in engineering firms are temporary contracts, I got calls to work for 6 months, 3 months, even 1 month and then I am again unemployed, is impossible to make money like this way. Also these regions are crowded with people from other regions with high unemployment rates and also to consider most of the jobs are in tourism and temporary with very low salaries that can not afford to live. That's the reason lots of people had to go to other countries.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
In addition to the above question, do you have any other skills that are marketable?.
And make a list of all your expenditures(bills), what can you eliminate?
Also, if you are able to; use Euros to pay for things; it is proven that using cash causes one to hesitate more than using plastic.
I worked as project engineer and data analyst, I have some programming skills I am now developing in my current job, I also have some experience as commercial. Besides that, I also volunteered several years ago as equipment operator and also as customer service in McDonalds.

I already spend very few money: cleaning accesories, food and rent is all my expenditures. I can cut in antivirus which is 30 euro per year and maybe cut completely order food once a week which in my situation I guess is a luxury I can not afford. I am not purchasing clothes, even considering this is a cold country in winter.

Also in my very few free time I only read books from an ebook I purchased some years ago, that's all my hobbies.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:19 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,069,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
I worked as project engineer and data analyst, I have some programming skills I am now developing in my current job, I also have some experience as commercial. Besides that, I also volunteered several years ago as equipment operator and also as customer service in McDonalds.

I already spend very few money: cleaning accesories, food and rent is all my expenditures. I can cut in antivirus which is 30 euro per year and maybe cut completely order food once a week which in my situation I guess is a luxury I can not afford. I am not purchasing clothes, even considering this is a cold country in winter.

Also in my very few free time I only read books from an ebook I purchased some years ago, that's all my hobbies.

Can you learn, or do you know how to write computer code?.
I see you have some related skills already.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:18 AM

7,376 posts, read 4,162,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post

Last year, my daughter finished grad school living on a student loan. She is the queen of thriftiness.

1). She prepares her meals on Sunday and has a full week of dinners made - it cuts out ordering fast food or takeout meals. She makes high protein pancakes and freezes them. Every morning, she makes coffee and toasts the pancakes (in a toaster). She brings lunch to work. She never purchases wine or beer.

2). She purchases her clothing a second hand store - mainly Goodwill which is charity shop and has many brand name clothing. She once got a $1,500 French coat for $15. She has Ann Taylor clothing which was only $8 per item.

3) My daughter cut her rent in half with a roommate.

Quote:
Now things are different, I have a small kid
Do you have a spouse? Are you a single parent?

When my Polish cousin came over in 1991, the biggest stock for her was the cost of daycare. In Poland, daycare was free. She couldn't afford the USA daycare. So she sent her son back to Poland to live with her mother.

If you are married, you or your spouse should get a part-time job.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Can you learn, or do you know how to write computer code?.
I see you have some related skills already.
I am learning how to code in this job as analyst and I am starting to automate my processes saving time in regular tasks, I had to evolve to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness