Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 04:55 AM

290 posts, read 250,536 times

Advertisements

It depends on how you define "off-grid". I've lived 6 months as part of an isolated crew, with no TV, radio, phone, or news beyond weeks-old newspapers and occasional mail-drops. But we had our own water-makers, generators and power grid, along with regular supply ships for food. During a really bad storm, we managed for two weeks with no resupply, but we weren't really self-sufficient. I think one month was the outside limit of our supplies.

So answering the OP's question, I've lived more than 6 months off-grid from the outside world, but it was more like living in a big dorm with great cafeterias and no beer (as far as they knew).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 02:27 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,829,273 times
Apparently living off grid is something most have never done. I personally thought we'd have 'more' individuals who actually have some real life experiences, struggles and stories. Hmmmm....

Well all I can say is if that time ever comes ... it'll be baptism by fire.

Old 12-20-2022, 02:34 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Who has lived off grid for over 6 months?
Yeah. When I was a kid we lived a a house with no electricity. Lived there a couple of years until a huge water oak dang near killed us when it fell on the house during a tornado.
We moved to town after that.

I wouldn't do it again unless I had the money to provide the full array of creature comforts. I don't require all that much, mind you, but it gets hot down where I live. And this week it's going down below 10 degrees.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:00 PM

457 posts, read 308,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Apparently living off grid is something most have never done. I personally thought we'd have 'more' individuals who actually have some real life experiences, struggles and stories. Hmmmm....

It always is.
It's too convenient to just flip a switch and never even think about where it comes from, until it doesn't.

Of course these days you have to consciously make the decision to be off grid because it's everywhere.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:12 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,915,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

I think it depends on how you define "living" off grid. I'm sure most people have at one point at least gone camping for a few nights "off grid". In some ways that can be more "off grid" than somebody in a cabin with solar power and a lot of modern conveniences. In my younger days I spent a lot of time backpacking in the wilderness. No phone, no radio, no electronics of any kind except a flashlight, maybe only running into other people a few times per day. Harvesting and boiling water along the way, rationing the food I packed.

I wouldn't consider short excursions like that as "living" off grid, but was a lot more off grid than my off-grid neighbors.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:04 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,829,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I think it depends on how you define "living" off grid. I'm sure most people have at one point at least gone camping for a few nights "off grid". In some ways that can be more "off grid" than somebody in a cabin with solar power and a lot of modern conveniences. In my younger days I spent a lot of time backpacking in the wilderness. No phone, no radio, no electronics of any kind except a flashlight, maybe only running into other people a few times per day. Harvesting and boiling water along the way, rationing the food I packed.

I wouldn't consider short excursions like that as "living" off grid, but was a lot more off grid than my off-grid neighbors.
Well I did say "who has lived off grid for over 6 months" so that would rule out most 'camping' trips. However it's probably also safe to say, most off grid experiences do not involve living in caves or mud huts.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:39 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
For the first 7 years of my life, we didn't have indoor plumbing, and no phone, and no TV until I was 5 or 6, no internet, no cell phone signal.

We did have electricity, though.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:36 PM

583 posts, read 306,998 times
Closest I’ve been I 3 month job with forest service in a tent camp 25 miles from pierce idaho bymdirtmroad. We were fed in. Tent with food cooked in. Tent on wood burning together. We spent ll day alone urceying and spraying white pines on forest service land. We had agenarator from dark to 9 each night. Pretty country for sure and hiking al over with 15 gales of spray got us in good shape. I enjoyed it.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:16 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,703,567 times
I backpacked for 4 months, but not six. Enjoyed the time on the Appalachian Trail. Never wanted for anything other than a hot shower.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:29 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,905,036 times
I lived in my truck for 6 years but I lived in a trailer on an acre for about a year and a half while I was saving for electricity. I had a propane heater that I put on a couple hours a day in winter and used a battery-powered camping lamp for light. The stove and oven were propane.

It was OK, but once I got electricity, I never looked back.

Today I have electric heat, inside running water (only when it's above freezing outside and no hot water yet) and a septic system. But I still turn the heat off at night and there are enough times when the power goes out that I'm reminded of how I used to live. I have to say, electricity rocks and I would never voluntarily go back to living off grid unless I had solar power that did for me what electricity does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness