Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 06:19 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in my Retirement post, smashed a finger between the garage door panels yesterday. I could have opened up the first aid kit but the mind had shifted to getting in phone range to call and then I remembered the location of an urgent care.

The kit was on my mind for as I was driving, the bandana got soaked a little bit, dripped a little blood, but I figured immediate travel was more important.

So, a few things. Do we ever open up our first aid kits and know our way around them so we instantly know what to do, especially when we are one handed, trying to let muscle memory help us, and not get blinded by shock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 06:52 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
First aid is just that...FIRST aid. A temporary fix until better treatment can be received.

Without specifics on what a "smashed finger" is, you probably did the right thing. Dripping blood can be frightening.

I've had plenty of smashed fingers and even cut off a finger tip while cooking once. They were all disinfected and wrapped up by me and healed without medical attention. A sprained finger led to a doctor visit and x-rays, then a splint. Realistically, I could have done that myself without medical intervention.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:28 PM

Well, I just rebandaged the wound and one of the things I am thinking about is dedicating a kitchen island drawer to the first aid drawer, a space where the kit can be laid out....and had a nice big counter for work. Trying to work it out on the sofa wasn't the most ideal. It worked and there were some lessons learned.

On a side note, to have such a drawer goes a step further than what Mom taught me. She taught me, back in pre island kitchens, to dedicate one of my kitchen drawers as the power outage/emergency drawer.

Need (more) trauma shears. The home and office scissors weren't the best and while the Amazon inventory says they are in this kit or that, really didn't want to go searching. Next, open up a first aid resupply kit, put the next one on order.

As far as whether to seek medical or not for this or that, that is up to the individual. One thing in my case, though, is that when they found out I am a diabetic, they put me on antibiotics. I went because even though it didn't look serious, I had crushed a finger between two garage door sections and that's no laughing matter. Further, I am not a doctor so do I really know what damage I have done just by looking at it?

Old 02-18-2024, 08:02 PM

I don't have a kitchen island, but one of my kitchen drawers is the "emergency" drawer: flashlights, lighters, candles, batteries, etc.

First aid kits are in the bug out bags or under the bathroom sink. My lights go out far more often than needing to access first aid supplies...almost never. My last "crisis" was 12+ years ago when I stepped on metal wire and it punched through the sole of my boot and deep into my foot.

Use every experience as a lesson for what works the best in your situation and lifestyle, there is no right or wrong practice.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I don't have a kitchen island, but one of my kitchen drawers is the "emergency" drawer: flashlights, lighters, candles, batteries, etc.

First aid kits are in the bug out bags or under the bathroom sink. My lights go out far more often than needing to access first aid supplies...almost never. My last "crisis" was 12+ years ago when I stepped on metal wire and it punched through the sole of my boot and deep into my foot.

Use every experience as a lesson for what works the best in your situation and lifestyle, there is no right or wrong practice.
Thank you! It is all learning. As things go yesterday, before the accident, when I was loading up the truck, I had to make a conscious decision to put the bail out bag in the truck and then, a first aid kit since they had all been pulled for "aspirin reissue".

Funny you should mention that incident! At the end of the year, I was helping a friend move when I felt a sharp pain in my foot. Thinking it was a rock, found a hob nail had gone right through the soul into my foot, shallowly. Unbooting (did tell my friend what I was going to do so she didn't think odd of me taking off my boots and socks in her new house) and with my field first aid kit out, I cleaned it up, antibiotic ointment it, bandaged it, removed the nail with my Leatherman Micra (imitation) that I always carry. It had bled some and my tetnus shots are up to date (scorpion sting in the ten year window).

As our conversation here goes, though, I see that as very minor, routine, and most importantly, I had full capacity (two hands) to take care of it. STILL, every little incident can be used as an antishock measure such as "Remember that time? You handled that, you can handle this.".

Old 02-18-2024, 08:29 PM

Often when I read "survival" books or instructions I roll my eyes. They're written at armchair level, as if a crisis incident is predictable and resolved with a simple solution. Usually it's live & learn, anything can go wrong, or not.

However, having knowledge of live saving skills is probably the most valuable. How to stop bleeding, CPR, Heimlich maneuver, etc.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:05 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Our first aid supplies are a little more in depth than what can be bought in a "kit" and recently I had to get into them. What I needed was in a 5 gallon bucket sealed with a gamma lid. Removing the lid was a two-handed operation because I closed it too tight. Hard to do when one of my hands was the one needing first aid. I got it open, and learned a lesson at the same time.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Our first aid supplies are a little more in depth than what can be bought in a "kit" and recently I had to get into them. What I needed was in a 5 gallon bucket sealed with a gamma lid. Removing the lid was a two-handed operation because I closed it too tight. Hard to do when one of my hands was the one needing first aid. I got it open, and learned a lesson at the same time.
We-ll, that was one of the thoughts before they splinted me up, was to get my car keys out of the pocket on the affected side. That worked out pretty well but then, after......

......that particular key has a snap D ring on it for the critical keys but not for all the keys when the critical keys are on the lanyard around my throat. So I dug out another snap D ring at home, put it on that key ring and hung it from a belt loop. It doesn't solve all the contents of the right pocket that might have to be dug out with one lame hand but it handles the most important one.

Which comes to two non medical things to put in the kits, small snap D rings and on that thought, safety pins (shades of Richard Burton in The Longest Day anyone?)

Different question: what is that clingy ace bandage stuff called so I know what to order?

Old 02-19-2024, 02:34 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Different question: what is that clingy ace bandage stuff called so I know what to order?

You mean vet wrap?

Old 02-19-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You mean vet wrap?
They wrapped my finger splint up in what looks like an ace bandage but it sticks to itself. I think my Vet uses similar for my cats when he has to knock them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness