Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:43 AM

810 posts, read 667,992 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical situation so play along with this scenario:

Somewhere in the near future and after some very strong rhetoric by Russia, Iran, N Korea, and/or China our power grid suddenly goes down. Cellular communication and the internet are down too for those who have generators. There's chaos in the streets and word of mouth is that DC and NY have been completely destroyed by nuclear weapons. Highways are backed up with bumper to bumper traffic, there's reports of riots and looting, and word is gas stations and grocery stores are becoming depleted. Enemy aircraft is seen flying high overhead and the distant sound of explosions can be heard.

What do you do in the first 24 hours? How would you prepare? What is your plan for after that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 09:44 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Pray!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Pray!
That's a pretty good plan! I think the teenagers would be the first to keel over after learning that there's no more itunes or snapchat

Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,005 times
Sit back and watch any invading force be gutted by a well armed populace.

Gangs in the cities, rednecks in the country and well heeled/supplied suburbs...

Like herding explosive cats.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:29 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
I don't see how our power grid problem wouldn't impact other countries as well, however the only way we (the civilian) population would stand a chance against invading armies is guriella warfare.

We would be a well armed populace.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:53 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
Before Japan bombed Pearl Harbor their were several generals and admiral that said Japan could defeat the pacific navy but could never defeat the United Sates because any invasion would be suicide for them because of the 2nd amendment and the quantity of firearms in private hands. Their invasion force would slowly be picked to death.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:58 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
I have a question for the scenario. If I have solar panels on my roof and they feed surplus to the grid, would I still have electricity?

First step is to get the family together. Wife works next to a water store and could buy them out of water containers to haul home. I work in a solar company and could grab panels to augment local power grid. I think both of us would be smart enough to do that before we left. We pick up the child from school and make sure we're together.

First step is to fill every container with fresh water while I check the stores for anything left. The advantage of the city is that we have 4 large supermarkets, Costco, CVS, Walgreens and numerous small stores in a 4 block radius. Water, Medicine, Food, Batteries, Seeds. The goal is to convert all liquid cash into commodities and then go to the bank to see what we can pull out. Until an actual invasion, I think law and order will maintain for a few days in my part of town but things will stock out quickly. There's also a couple food warehouses for restaurants in nearby industrial parks. I have no way of storing gas, but do have 4 vehicles, a full tank in the hybrid will last a month as is. Using those only for hauling items is key. Hopefully I will have an electric car soon that I can plug in.

If I have even intermittent electricity (from the solar panels), my assumption is the emergency broadcast network will get messages out for some modicum of news that can be picked up by radio. We're bugging in, at least at first. Assuming we aren't conquered first, we wait for news on how the occupation works. Using the perspective of the Germans getting conquered, those getting taken by the Americans were treated much differently than those from the Soviets. If the military is treating people like the Americans, we stay in place and try to work with the new rules. With most of our wealth in real estate and local business, getting the ownership validated under the new guard is important.

If the military is treating people like the Soviets, we need to make our way to the local (not international) airport and make a deal to get to a bug out location in the Midwest. We lose everything except our gold, but have a few not obvious hiding spots for impracticable valuables. They'll stay in separate troves in the hopes of being reclaimed someday. If not available, we need to make our way to the harbor and make our way to Mexico by boat. Overland across the Rockies with so few roads is a deathtrap.

Only if there is no way to run and the enemy is ruthless, do I take up arms. I have no illusions of greatness. A military strong enough to land and establish on US soil is not going to be stopped by me no matter what weaponry I and my neighbors possess. At best we could form some sort of organized crime syndicate for an asymmetrical war, but we have no obvious safe-house and the city always has surveillance.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Hypothetical situation so play along with this scenario:

Somewhere in the near future and after some very strong rhetoric by Russia, Iran, N Korea, and/or China our power grid suddenly goes down. Cellular communication and the internet are down too for those who have generators. There's chaos in the streets and word of mouth is that DC and NY have been completely destroyed by nuclear weapons. Highways are backed up with bumper to bumper traffic, there's reports of riots and looting, and word is gas stations and grocery stores are becoming depleted. Enemy aircraft is seen flying high overhead and the distant sound of explosions can be heard.

What do you do in the first 24 hours? How would you prepare? What is your plan for after that?
I've already prepared. It would be a real shame to lose the Smithsonian, the Met, and some other cultural institutions, but otherwise it would be fine.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I have a question for the scenario. If I have solar panels on my roof and they feed surplus to the grid, would I still have electricity?

First step is to get the family together. Wife works next to a water store and could buy them out of water containers to haul home. I work in a solar company and could grab panels to augment local power grid. I think both of us would be smart enough to do that before we left. We pick up the child from school and make sure we're together.

First step is to fill every container with fresh water while I check the stores for anything left. The advantage of the city is that we have 4 large supermarkets, Costco, CVS, Walgreens and numerous small stores in a 4 block radius. Water, Medicine, Food, Batteries, Seeds. The goal is to convert all liquid cash into commodities and then go to the bank to see what we can pull out. Until an actual invasion, I think law and order will maintain for a few days in my part of town but things will stock out quickly. There's also a couple food warehouses for restaurants in nearby industrial parks. I have no way of storing gas, but do have 4 vehicles, a full tank in the hybrid will last a month as is. Using those only for hauling items is key. Hopefully I will have an electric car soon that I can plug in.

If I have even intermittent electricity (from the solar panels), my assumption is the emergency broadcast network will get messages out for some modicum of news that can be picked up by radio. We're bugging in, at least at first. Assuming we aren't conquered first, we wait for news on how the occupation works. Using the perspective of the Germans getting conquered, those getting taken by the Americans were treated much differently than those from the Soviets. If the military is treating people like the Americans, we stay in place and try to work with the new rules. With most of our wealth in real estate and local business, getting the ownership validated under the new guard is important.

If the military is treating people like the Soviets, we need to make our way to the local (not international) airport and make a deal to get to a bug out location in the Midwest. We lose everything except our gold, but have a few not obvious hiding spots for impracticable valuables. They'll stay in separate troves in the hopes of being reclaimed someday. If not available, we need to make our way to the harbor and make our way to Mexico by boat. Overland across the Rockies with so few roads is a deathtrap.

Only if there is no way to run and the enemy is ruthless, do I take up arms. I have no illusions of greatness. A military strong enough to land and establish on US soil is not going to be stopped by me no matter what weaponry I and my neighbors possess. At best we could form some sort of organized crime syndicate for an asymmetrical war, but we have no obvious safe-house and the city always has surveillance.
This was the kind of response I was hoping for. To answer your question we'll assume your solar panels worked and generated power.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:38 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
If you haven't already prepared you are going to be out of luck. Best thing to do is make sure you get home where your supplies are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness