Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 03:16 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
Ahhh! Now we're seing the true face of these people.
Finally somebody threw the "love it or leave it" equivalent.
He, he, he,
when cornered by somebody with better argument, just tell them to get the hell out of here, whether it's your country or a forum.
Got it. End of discussion
Good bye clinging to your religion and guns and enjoy the fan.
Ah yes, by George, you've got us, Einstein. Feel better now?

Here's a bit of logic that has served me well on the internet: if I have absolutely no interest in a topic or subject, logic dictates that I don't waste my (or anyone else's) time there. Seem reasonable?

Or from another perspective, how would you feel if a group of strangers started hovering around you to belittle you for your interests simply because they had no interest in whatever it is that interests you? Would it seem rational to you from that perspective? For instance, I have no interest in bicycling as a sport. If you were a sport cyclist, would it make much sense to you if I trolled the cycling forums you hung out on and started trashing the discussions there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
Ahhh! Now we're seing the true face of these people.
Finally somebody threw the "love it or leave it" equivalent.
He, he, he,
when cornered by somebody with better argument, just tell them to get the hell out of here, whether it's your country or a forum.
Got it. End of discussion
Good bye clinging to your religion and guns and enjoy the fan.
Where exactly did I mention religion or even guns for that matter?

Obfuscate and misdirect without addressing the issue. You are probably pretty accomplished on the politics boards, but here you come across as petty and irrelevent. You make absolutely no arguments or points, simply innuendos about the motivations of the people who enjoy taking care of themselves.

If your only pleasure is trying to start arguments over something you obviously have no knowledge of, it seems to me you need to find a new hobby.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM

181 posts, read 305,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Let me guess, you are going to Big Bend and will live like the Apache, drink water from the cacti, move at night and eat sotol roots?

Big Bend is nice but I won't be there . I'll be living pretty damn good. A whole lot better than the most of the population left unprepared.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 PM

537 posts, read 740,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Where exactly did I mention religion or even guns for that matter?

Obfuscate and misdirect without addressing the issue. You are probably pretty accomplished on the politics boards, but here you come across as petty and irrelevent. You make absolutely no arguments or points, simply innuendos about the motivations of the people who enjoy taking care of themselves.

If your only pleasure is trying to start arguments over something you obviously have no knowledge of, it seems to me you need to find a new hobby.
Ignore the troll. Phoreskin is just trying to validate whatever crappy lifestyle he's not coping with.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
With the pending collapse of our country about a year or two away, I thought I would begin a survival guide for West Virginian's.
Hmm, a post from 2009 predicting the end of the world by 2011. It's now 2013 yet the nutjobs continue to declare the end is just around the corner and will refuse any logic and fact based assessment which says other wise. It would be interesting to hear just one of our chicken littles admit they were wrong, their thinking was lacking in intellectual rigger, and not based on reality.

It will never happen though because one thing the nutjobs will never do is admit they're crazy or weren't thinking in a logical manner. Instead they usually just double down on the same nonsense no matter how often their claims are proven to not pan out. Enjoy.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
[quote=Think4Yourself;30991041
It will never happen though because one thing the nutjobs will never do is admit they're crazy or weren't thinking in a logical manner. Instead they usually just double down on the same nonsense no matter how often their claims are proven to not pan out. Enjoy.[/quote]

That is the best explination I have ever heard for how Jerry Brown was re-elected to be governor of California.

Excellent! Thank you for that insight!!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Hmm, a post from 2009 predicting the end of the world by 2011. It's now 2013 yet the nutjobs continue to declare the end is just around the corner and will refuse any logic and fact based assessment which says other wise. It would be interesting to hear just one of our chicken littles admit they were wrong, their thinking was lacking in intellectual rigger, and not based on reality.

It will never happen though because one thing the nutjobs will never do is admit they're crazy or weren't thinking in a logical manner. Instead they usually just double down on the same nonsense no matter how often their claims are proven to not pan out. Enjoy.
Why not explain what intellectual rigor is...provided that you can spell it? Knowing the correct spelling always helps when someone is trying to find a definition or explanation. Reading is necessary as well.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:59 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

I've got an honest question for you. Why do you care? How is any of this hurting you?

I suspect the honest answer to this is it makes you feel superior to another group of people.

If that is the case, I feel sorry for you.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:45 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I've got an honest question for you. Why do you care? How is any of this hurting you?

I suspect the honest answer to this is it makes you feel superior to another group of people.
Of course that's the case! 99.9% of the time it is.

Even those types know that just because Event A hasn't happened, it doesn't mean it can't. With a change of probability, it would be similar to me playing Russian Roulette. I spin the cylinder. I pull the trigger. Snap. No shot. I then look at my buddies, smiling, and say smugly, "See there, you idiots! I told you nothing would happen, you tin foil hat brigadiers!" And you know, I potentially could spin that cylinder a hundred times, put the muzzle to my temple, and pull the trigger, and still have nothing happen. But that doesn't mean it's a very smart thing to do. And it doesn't mean it won't go bang one of those times. So, yeah, it's the smug, superior, "see I told you so." Thing is, it's not going to change any minds here if the guy pulls that trigger for the next fifty years. It still won't be smart. And it will still be an told-you-so exercise in ego to brag about the lack of a loud bang each time.

As for why such people care: in some cases, I don't think they do; they just want to pick on someone. In other cases, I think it gets under their skin that everyone is not a carbon copy of their superior selves. Because when we get down to the brass tacks it makes absolutely, positively, incontrovertibly, irrefutably, NO difference in their lives the least bit. They have to boost their illusions of superiority by finding someone to single out in our politically correct world that won't tolerate the typical "isms" out of them, so they find new "isms" and construct an Other to browbeat, just as humankind always has.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
FWIW Phorlan made a hit and run on the peak oil thread as well, with a statement that was just as nonsensical. Ah well, someday they'll learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness