Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,882 times

Advertisements

If it gets really bad like some of us think it will ' especially after amnesty is given to the worlds poor ' ,how will you protect what you have from being taken ?

In the last Depression , Dust Bowl and other desasters most people here were Americans who assimulated into the culture . They were more civilized than most third worlders are who are use to fighting to survive .

Our leaders have proven they will protect their future voters at all cost, so who will proect you ? You can't fight the gov and win, especially now that your own children voted for them .

i say live for today because tomorrows looking hopeless no matter what you do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 07:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
If it gets really bad like some of us think it will ' especially after amnesty is given to the worlds poor ' ,how will you protect what you have from being taken ?

In the last Depression , Dust Bowl and other desasters most people here were Americans who assimulated into the culture . They were more civilized than most third worlders are who are use to fighting to survive .

Our leaders have proven they will protect their future voters at all cost, so who will proect you ? You can't fight the gov and win, especially now that your own children voted for them .

i say live for today because tomorrows looking hopeless no matter what you do .

my home and 2nd home are both paid for, meaning I have no mortgages on either. I have most of my shtf equipment at my 2nd home and currently belong to a group like minded individuals who are also preparing.

better to do something than nothing at all.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. Spread things around a bit.If your home is broken into or taken, don't have it all there. Have a back-up plan or two in place.

As monkeywrenching indicated, have a network of like minded people and evaluate very carefully who you should trust. When it comes to your SHTF planning, silence is golden. No one needs to know what you have and where you have it except that one or two people with whome you trust your life completely.

Amnesty will be bad but I think economic collaps, if it happens, will be what causes societal unrest.

Live for today but keep storing your nuts as though winter is coming on fast. It is liable to be a long winter.

We live in interesting times.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Live for today and PLAN for tomorrow.

I have 2 places as well each with small mortgages that I can pay off if need be to own outright..that's my only debt.

I have my scenarios planned out:
1) If TSHTF then I'm off to my second home and will pay it off right away.
2) If we continue on this slow decline then I sell the first home (too near urban city) and take early retirement to my second home. Pay off the second home and invest in some solar for the well and wood stove for the house.
3) If we return to "good times" I still take early retirement, do everything in #2 and power down and feel richer for it because I live more frugally.

Either way, I'm powering down because I'm tired of playing the game....I want to be as least connected to the system as possible. I don't need the latest toys and folks out in the country don't seem to be so consumer oriented.

My second home is a 45 acre ranch already set up for cattle, 2 ponds stocked and about 15 acres of woods, good sandy loam for growing.

I have my family in mind as I'm prepping and only a select few know. I've met my new neighbors out at the 2nd place and these are definitely the type of folks I'd want to live around should TSHTF.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. During the Depression farm folks who had no debt lived ok. Not great but ok because they had food, ready labor and a good community.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Another thing to consider is if something like that does happen, even if your home is paid for, the government (or any other power) will have no qualms about seizing or commandeering your property or assets if it's something they can use. It's happened before, it will happen again.

My notion is to go somewhere that, even if they knew where you were in general, you aren't worth the trouble to find. You have nothing of interest to them. Of course, if you are way out in the boonies and 'under the radar,' you will then be on your own in defending yourself against the 'hungry hoards' from the cities. Again, perhaps being in a place where nobody wants to bother to find you--a hermit in the desert sort of thing. If you are in the middle of the wastelands 300 miles from any significant population, you may have a chance. Maybe.

At the very least, I think you need to be in a really small town with a tight-knit population far away from any major city--again, in an area that is of no strategic importance to the 'powers that be.'

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Some of my rules.

1) Tell no one what you have.

2) When you make an unusually large purchase at a place where you may be remembered, casually say something like, "I ran out when we had the big snow. Never again."

3) Don't have a lot of small, heavy packages delivered.

4) Pay cash whenever possible.

5) Buy your guns privately. No exceptions. Under no circumstances, get a carry permit or C&R license.

6) Live in an area of low crime, preferably small town, or better still, rural.

7) Live in a monoracial area. Life has enough problems without inviting an attack because of your race.

8) Be friendly and helpful to your neighbors, always willing to do a favor. But never be a friend. No deep conversations.

9) Never have people in your home. But use plausible excuses.

10) If survivalism ever comes up in conversation, shut up. If someone asks you what you think, tell them you have food for three or four days. If someone asks you about TEOTWAWKI, etc., say it will never happen, that the government has plans. This is true. The government does have plans.

11) Have a home and vehicles that are relatively normal for your particular area.

12) Look at your stuff; play with your stuff. But ALWAYS resist the urge to show it.

13) Loose lips sink ships.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
Live for Today, Plan for Tommorow.
Hope for the Best, Plan for the Worst.
You can't fix the system, but you can protect yourself from it.

I find that living somewhere totally inconvenient and "off-the-radar" works quite nicely. Even if the gov't, the hoardes of city dwellers, or marauding zombies ever decide to rampage toward my place... they'll freeze to death in winter and be eaten by bears & wolves in summer LOL. There's only one road in and out... easily destroyed/blockaded, forcing people to go over land (or over mountain, river, and muskeg in most cases). You could come by river, but you have to plan pretty carefully to navigate that wide, freezing, silty fast torrent... then you run into the one-road/over-land issues once you get here. Travel by air isn't so easy either... unless you like landing/dropping into miles and miles of needle-sharp spruce trees... clearings aren't usually clearings, they're normally boggy muskeg that'll suck you down faster than snot.

So, yeah, look at the (free!) natural defenses that your location provides for you and capitalize on them. Any easily secured and defensible position with a good water supply and food (either grown or stored) is probably the biggest key to surviving any invasion, regardless of it's actual location. And always remember that defenders have 4:1 odds, 10:1 if they have the high-ground or are entrenched. With those odds, adding in natural defenses like we have, it would take a small army to successfully invade our place... and that's not counting if any of our neighbors pitched in to the defense effort or talking about whether our firepower may or may not be superior.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
I won't be doing anything, I am not already doing. I am plain mean and ugly now, and that isn't going to change. I even give my friends a bad time, so why wouldn't I do the same for strangers?

It didn;'t take real long to finfd out I am not exactly Mr. PopUlar around here either! Live and Squirm I always say.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
my home and 2nd home are both paid for, meaning I have no mortgages on either. I have most of my shtf equipment at my 2nd home and currently belong to a group like minded individuals who are also preparing.

Its those like minded people you have to worry about in survival. Anyone beyond family and trust should be suspected when it comes down to survival. Never forget human anture.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:21 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post

I agree it's better to prepare than do nothing . Before long it will be against the law to' horde ' as they are already insulting those who do . Also trying to make us tag eery animal we have . Check into " Substainable Communities " . I think this is what they call it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness