Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

I've been on the "do not call" lists since they've been invented. Even when those e-mails went around saying we all had to re-sign-up for the do not call lists, and most of us "Snopesed" it and believed it was just a rumor, I signed up again anyway.

I have always hated telemarketers, and I have no clue who on earth actually buys from them. Someone must be buying, or they wouldn't be doing it. And it really annoys me when charities do cold-calling. They are exempt from the do not call rules, so they aren't doing anything wrong per se. But I politely tell them "I do not respond to any telephone solicitation. I give a lot to charities, but not to any who call me."

Lately I've noticed two new phenomena:
  • the return of door-to-door salepeople
  • telemarketers pretending we had a previous business relationship
At least once or twice a week now, I get some joker knocking on my door selling something. It's often landscaping services, window/door people, gutter or siding people, and even a septic system services, when I don't even have a septic system.

I tell them that even if I was in the market for a service or product like theirs I certainly would not do business with a company who bothers people in their homes at 8:30 at night.

Then there are the teenagers who are "selling magazine subscriptions for a college scholarship." I sold all kinds of stuff as a kid, and I'll buy cookies, candy, raffle tickets, etc from any honest kid. But this magazines-for-college scholarship thing is a scam. When I ask the kids details about the company/organization they are selling for, and how exactly it leads to a college scholarship, they can't answer. Slam.

Do they still sell "no solicitation" signs? Though, I'm afraid these morons would not even know what "solicitation" meant. My parents used to tell me about how there were lots of door-to-door salesmen in the 50s and 60s, but in 2010??? Hmm, A person selling "No Solicitation" signs door-to-door might actually get my business.

The other exception to the do not call rules is companies with whom you have a prior business relationship. So I have an Amex card; Amex can call me and offer me new products or services, etc. Fine, I accept that.

But lately I've gotten cold calls from companies like chimney sweeps, lawn services, and window installers, saying "hey, we're going to be in your neighborhood next week-- are you interrested in having your (chimney cleaned, lawn treated, or an estimate for new windows)?"

I say, "hey I'm on the Do Not Call list and you seem to violating that." They say, "oh, no, we did your (chimney, lawn, windows) in the past, and we're just checking in. I save every receipt for things like that, and I'm quite certain I've never used your company.

After hanging up, I've even had a particularly zealous chimney cleaner call me back just to say "thanks for hanging up on me, ******."

Similar thing at work: we get calls from a copy machine service saying "hey, we've worked with you before. We're calling to see if you need updates/repairs/cartridges for your machine." We're in a one-story building and so we say "the machine on the second floor or the third?" They say "the third?" We hang up.

Anyone else notice this crap? I know some businesses are facing hard times, but why not stick to marketing strategies that actually work, and not those that annoy people into deciding to NEVER do business with you ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 03:48 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I tell them "Hold on while I get my credit card" and then leave the phone hanging by the cord until it makes that honking sound.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:47 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
For the techie types...

Asterisk Telemarketer Torture - voip-info.org

Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
With that number of door-to-door "salesmen", you may want to verify the people actually work for the businesses. You could be being scoped out for a robbery. Your township may have ordinances against such house calls as well.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Harry is right, check local laws. Where I live, door to door can knock between 9am and 4 pm only but if you post a No Soliciting sign, they can't knock at all.

telemarketing at home follows FTC rules. All you need to do is report it. They get away with it because no body bothers to file a complain. If people started doing it, it will stop. If you let it go, you are adding to the problem.

Business is not under do=not=call so little you can do.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
With that number of door-to-door "salesmen", you may want to verify the people actually work for the businesses. You could be being scoped out for a robbery. Your township may have ordinances against such house calls as well.
This.

My city requires door to door salesmen to have a permit.

I make exceptions for children fundraising for schools or for Boy/Girl Scouts. I will usually buy something from them. I know how much it stank when I had to go door to door in school so I feel for them. And they are usually polite and very grateful to sell something!

As for others...if I don't recognize you, I'm not opening the door for you. Last year a guy was at my door, I ignored him; he knocked and held a Time Warner badge up to my window. I continued to ignore him because I don't have Time Warner service. He rang the bell a few more times before giving up. I was about to fetch the pistol from the closet and call the cops if he didn't get off my porch, but he did. The following morning, three houses on my street were burglarized. Coincidence? Probably not. It hasn't happened again since then.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Harry is right, check local laws. Where I live, door to door can knock between 9am and 4 pm only but if you post a No Soliciting sign, they can't knock at all.

telemarketing at home follows FTC rules. All you need to do is report it. They get away with it because no body bothers to file a complain. If people started doing it, it will stop. If you let it go, you are adding to the problem.

Business is not under do=not=call so little you can do.
Huh????????

Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
I didn't read all the comments here. However, I have an unlisted number so when I get marketing calls, I get livid and let them know it with sincere honesty.

I have an unlisted number, and I'm not interested so do not call this number every again or I'll file a complaint.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:33 PM

112 posts, read 363,512 times
Its not just in America that you get annoying people calling/knock on the door. Here in Oz we have the do not call register only charities and political parties (the gov made sure of that one) to be exempt. The other really annoying people is those in shopping centres who have those kiosks in the middle of the centre walkways "excuse me excuse me hello how are you today" but in a really condesending way I just avoid eye contact and keep walking if they step in front of me I just push them out of the way! The door to door people our local member has the do not call stickers which we have on our door with more info that says this includes salespeople, religious, charity and catalogues on our door step.
One time a guy came to the door in late afternoon wanting us to change electricity providers. I said to him "hang on I go and get my bill so we can compare savings" I explained that i have a toddler (which I do and was with me so no lie) so I need to close the door. So I closed the door and watched him through the window. He was there for a whole half an hour then he walked away - it was hilarious!!!! Here in oz we mostly get either electricity/gas companies or cable tv!
I dont get any telemarketers anymore because we no longer have landline only mobiles!!!

Last edited by coming2america; 09-11-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: added extra

Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
I realize my approach is unorthodox and won't work for many people in your annoying position.

For in-person solicitation, this sign is posted on my front door:

"Knock all you want -- we don't answer the door unless you're expected."

For telephone solicitation, I always let all my calls go to voice mail and thus never have to take a call like that. My family and friends know I check my messages all day long and will get back to them.

I, too, hate solicitation of any kind. Americans, unfortunately, have been conditioned since the cradle to RESPOND, whether it's the doorbell or the phone. Trust me, no one's standing there giving you a failing mark if you ignore the bell or the ring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products