Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know how you feel. I will not frequent a grocery store which has visible detectors at the entrance/exits. Why do they want my business, if they assume I'm a thief?
I have also turned around and left a few antique shops, and a mall fur outlet, which required me to lock my purse and the coat I wore in a locker in order to come in to their store. No way.
I know that theft is a real, expensive problem for merchants, but when you blatently offend me, I won't stand for it.
I would love to avoid Sam's Club forever, but darned if I don't enjoy their meat and the fact that some of their prepared foods are a nice change from the things I get at my usual store.
+1. Fry's, an electronic store in our area, insists on checking customer's receipts at the door. I refuse to go along with this policy, so I don't shop there anymore. Considering these stores have security cameras, electronic theft ID tags, and loss prevention employees, I'm not going to stand there while they also check my receipt, assuming I'm a thief. Besides, the majority of company thefts occur internally by employees, not customers.

The last time I was at Fry's, the person insisted she check my receipt. I told her no; I had paid for my merchandise. If she didn't believe me, she could look at the surveillance tapes. That was the end of that, and my business with that company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's not the point of a receipt check...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You don't get it.
I thought the point was to make sure people wont steal. Another thought was that one "non-member" couldn't go and buy random stuff without a membership.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:02 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Another thought was that one "non-member" couldn't go and buy random stuff without a membership.
Not possible.
You need a membership card to check out... without membership, you won't get that receipt!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:25 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm not sure why I did it. I just simply told the old codger that I was not a thief and pay for everything that I own. That wasn't enough. Another security guard in a truck came by and asked me for my receipt and my name. I told him that I would not be branded a potential criminal when shopping at their store. Again, I refused. He then threatened to take my car's license plate #. I left. I still don't understand why they don't use hidden cameras and two way mirrors like everyone else. If they already do, why isn't that already enough? I don't like Sams very much.

Showing the receipt seems like a very "sheeple" thing to do, in my opinion. I'm anything but a sheeple.

Just another fool looking for attention. He just has to "buck the system" lest he think he's a "sheeple", even though the membership HE AGREED TO clearly states that you must show your receipt upon exiting the store.

It's called a THEFT DETERRENT. Anyone can walk into a warehouse club, fill their cart, and walk out the door. That's why they do receipt checks.

Don't like it? Don't shop there ---- or at Costco, BJs, or any of the other warehouse clubs!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
What the hell is wrong with the OP? It's a standard policy in these clubs. Just don't buy a membership or go there.

He needs attention and needs to show what a big man he is by refusing to show his receipt (at a store that he bought a membership to and agreed to show the receipt every time he shops there).

He got his wish.... he was a big shot, telling the minimum wage, part time, Social Security recipient worker that he refuses to show his receipt and got a bonus by having a security guard roll up on him. It must have made his day! I'm sure he's STILL telling this story at the local coffee shop!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Me, I'm still trying to figure out what paradise some people live in where apparently none of the stores have a theft problem, or at least the thieves are so obvious looking that there is no need to ever suspect the other patrons.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,421 times
Just keep walking. No need to stop unless you like people looking at your stuff. It became your stuff when you paid for it. They no longer have any right or probable cause to search you or your belongings without your permission. Worst case, in my experience, is they yell "Sir!, Sir!" a few times and maybe send somebody to follow you and jot down your tag number. That's it though. No big deal at all. I've got more valuable things to do in my life than stand in line waiting on someone to "check" my stuff at a Sam's Club. Just ignore them and keep right on out the door. Over the years I've saved many hours of my life by not standing in a line at the door on the way out. On the business/consumer relationship side though...I would appreciate a "thank you" for spending my money at the business...nothing more is needed.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,421 times
No thanks. I don't show strangers my purchases. That's a right I have that trumps their membership "rules".

Old 01-19-2015, 02:29 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob2002 View Post
I would appreciate a "thank you" for spending my money at the business...
They say "thank you" when they check your receipt!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:32 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm not sure why I did it. I just simply told the old codger that I was not a thief and pay for everything that I own. That wasn't enough. Another security guard in a truck came by and asked me for my receipt and my name. I told him that I would not be branded a potential criminal when shopping at their store. Again, I refused. He then threatened to take my car's license plate #. I left. I still don't understand why they don't use hidden cameras and two way mirrors like everyone else. If they already do, why isn't that already enough? I don't like Sams very much.

Showing the receipt seems like a very "sheeple" thing to do, in my opinion. I'm anything but a sheeple.
Quite the rebel you! What's next... Ripping the labels off your pillows and mattress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products