Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I don't have that black and white mentality that all stuff from out of the country is bad. If I can get a generic antihistamine for $1 that is made in China or India instead of paying $12 for the same thing U.S. made, I'm NOT thinking that there are U.S. jobs at stake. Pill making is automated. What IS at stake is an obscene profit that is going straight to the pockets of high paid executives who scheme and connive to limit access to cheaper alternatives. In a choice between the two, my dollar is voting. I don't want those high paid executives to get any more complacent and raise other prices even higher.
The manufacturing process may be "automated" but the rest of the process is not. There are a lot of hands that touch a product before and after it's produced beginning with packaging and ending with delivery to the store. You're eliminating a few American jobs along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 AM

861 posts, read 1,250,303 times
Dollar Store is the antithesis of Whole Foods. What's left to know?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I just bought some oven mitts from Dollar Tree. They're nice and thick, and better than the $10 oven mitts I bought at a kitchen specialty store.

And no doubt both were made overseas.

I'll buy food at dollar stores or places like Big Lots as well. Check the labels, no big deal. Not to mention that most dates stamped on food items, especially nonperishable foods, have no relation to how fresh or safe the food inside is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
If I had the money, I'd rather pay for it if it was produced locally and did not come from the other side of the world. How much goes into manufacturing this item?
How much manufacturing goes on "locally"? How wide is your "local" net? 100 miles? 1,000 miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
Dollar Store is the antithesis of Whole Foods. What's left to know?
That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The manufacturing process may be "automated" but the rest of the process is not. There are a lot of hands that touch a product before and after it's produced beginning with packaging and ending with delivery to the store. You're eliminating a few American jobs along the way.
BS. Name those hands.

Dollar stores use Chinese labor to deliver boxes to the store?
Wake up and smell the coffee. BTW, did you know that coffee is NOT a product of the U.S.? Go to Starbucks much? Traitor!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,665 times
I'll never buy anything edible at dollar stores. I'm not even sure if I should buy cosmetics as well. But work gloves...interesting

Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM

142 posts, read 252,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I disagree I NEVER got bad candy at $ stores! As for any products No Matter what store you buy in Check Exp Dates! Some clerks dont bother rotating the stock & can be pushing dated products to the back! IF its expired tell the mgr!
This is good advice. I bought a few canned goods awhile back. Most of the items I buy now are soaps and detergents, a few towels, picked up great curtains, too.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 PM

297 posts, read 502,899 times
How about a pregnancy test, LOL! Yes, I saw them at the Dollar store!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
I know what you CAN buy --- reading glasses (which I get for $1). I'm wearing them now.

They seem as good as the ones from a drugstore that cost $20, let alone what you pay at an eyeglass store (I wonder what the markup is on eyeglass frames at those places?)

Also:
-- cosmetic cotton squares, I get a pile for $2, they are so big I can cut them into quarters. They're thicker than the ones at the drugstore and 100 % cotton so I don't think quality is an issue. Here in Canada just one stack of 100 cotton squares are $4.99.

-- candy bars at the dollar store where I shop are half the price of the grocery store and the same size and always fresh.

-- flip-flops

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,160,835 times
The dollar store near me is a really good one. I don't know how others compare, but this one is consistently good. I have bought many pairs of white ankle socks there for myself and my daughter. They are actually good quality (not too thin, falling apart, etc). Considering how much we go through socks, it's a steal. They also have a really good selection of frozen veggies. I also get Dermasil lotion there. I get some canned goods there. I don't buy the boxed foods. As other mentioned, seasonal decoration, gift bags, bows and greeting cards are a really good buy. Also gum! That's pretty much it for me. I used to buy all my sandwich/frozen ziploc/aluminum foil there until I discovered Costco.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,935,404 times
I prefer fruit in glass jars instead of cans.
I purchase fruit in glass jars at the dollar tree.

Of course I mostly eat fresh fruit.

Even the jars are cute which I use for other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products