Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,966 times

Advertisements

When I was in the process of cleaning out my late mother's house, the Dollar Store's "LA's Totally Awesome cleaner (either the yellow or the orange) was the only cleaning product that took off years of nicotine from walls and cabinets. Some of the other products I used would run clear when spraying them, making it seem like all the nicotine was off. However, when I sprayed the cheap cleaner, it would still run brown.

The downside is that it made me almost hack up a lung! I ended up wearing a respirator, but it worked! It was similar to Greased Lightening, but $1 bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
I learned never to buy tools at the DS..From the screwdriver that broke after a few uses and the head of the hammer that flew off, I'll stick with a name brand from now on

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Of course there are things one shouldn't buy at a dollar store. That doesn't mean there is nothing worthwhile in the dollar store. It means that a couple of look-see trips will tell you what the good stuff is and what to avoid.

Toothbrushes. Brand name. For a buck. Cost upwards of 2.50 in the Not-a-Dollar stores. GOOP hand cleaner, a tubful for a dollar. Goo-Gone, takes off the gummy residue from labels. Paper plates. Brown paper lunch sacks. Dish liquid - brand name. Greeting cards. Gift wrap and gift bags. Notebook paper. Giant desk calendars. White-out. Post-It notes. Dish towels. Steel wool soap pads. I could go on.

Is there crap? Sure. There's crap in every store, dollar or otherwise. (Son paid over 300.00 for a name-brand lawn mower at a big building supply store and it malfunctioned the second time out) You have to be selective. But for saving a bit on stuff you need every day, the dollar store has much that's worthwhile. And in my experience, if you buy something and it breaks, they'll give you a store credit.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,499,221 times
Don't buy anything over a dollar.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Yesterday I bought a pkg of 8 pocket kleenex for .99 cents at other stores they are 1.98 and an appliance 40 watt light bulb pkg of 2 for .99 cents reg 2.97 at other stores.
So if you really know your products and pricing those cheap stores can save you money. But like certain tools and other items you're just throwing your money away.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,231,228 times
In college I worked as a cashier at a dollar store, a nice 'upscale' one, lol, where they'd get some really cute things, and I had soo much junk from there. I'd always be buying something. Regular brand-name candy and drinks - they'd always be delivered fresh, no stale stuff lying around. Stationery, writing supplies, picture frames, candleholders, baskets, kitchen stuff, seasonal decor, hair accessories, fridge magnets - you name it! Gift bags, wrap, cards, bows, party supplies, paper dishes, balloons, favors. Souvenirs for out-of-towners - we had an amazing souvenir collection, great quality keychains and magnets that sold for $10 at souvenir stores. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a dollar store nearly as good where I live now, here it's all the basic depressing plastic containers and generic food...
And yea, like others said, I'd never ever buy food, medication, cosmetics or body products from a dollar store. I'm also very wary of anything plastic like food containers and kids' toys, after all the lead/melamine/bpa scandals. I'm surprised the article recommended body washes and such - they tend to have a horrible chemical smell and who knows what goes in them, it's something you're putting on your skin...I stay away from the cleaning products too, especially with a young child at home, I tend to think they're going to be much harsher and possibly more toxic, I prefer natural-based cleaners; though I have picked up some convenient items before like glass cleaner wipes, a version of windex wipes, that are good in a pinch. Cleaning tools though - sponges, brushes, microfiber cloths, dish towels - are great to buy from there, also things like rubber gloves, spray bottles, etc.

Last edited by EvilCookie; 11-16-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
I shop at the Dollar Tree quite a bit.

I've gotten a lot of puzzles, coloring books, activity books and school supplies for my son.
Great for cards and wrapping paper. We get a lot of arts and crafts stuff from there. The glitter glue actually works better than the crayola glitter glue.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 AM

747 posts, read 1,683,290 times
I use the dollar store for a lot of general items gloves, dust cloths (because I always throw mine away after 1 use) gift bags (if I can find a pretty one), tissue paper and similar items. I never buy food there unless it's candy and unless it's name brand items. I would also never buy meds, beauty products, pet food or batteries there.

Shockingly enough I read news story about $1 pregnancy tests at dollar stores, and they said that not only do they work but they are accurate. I know i'd never buy anything like that from the dollar store and trust it.

$1 pregnancy test accuracy results - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
I don't know about vitamins, but "dry" medicines remain good long after expiration date (as told by my doctor and I believe it).

Most stuff I've bought at the dollar stores have been fine. Haven't purchased any canned foods but I've bought spices, snacks, Propel Drinks, and candy.

I'm partial to a foot file sold at the local Dollar Trees, so I've stocked up on those. Have bought cheap platters and other servingware for one-time-only use at picnics. Certain cleaning agents, although the laundry detergents come in such small boxes. I also buy their cheap sponge mops, because with the tiny amount of linoleum in my house doesn't need much of one.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:09 PM

70 posts, read 104,251 times
Books! I love to read and collect them!

I have mold allergies and many of the non-fiction books I would love to buy at a thrift store I can't read.

With the Dollar Store I often find new close-out hardback books from publishers for non-fiction books. If you've ever checked out what hardback books cost in a regular bookstore, this really is a deal for me!

The book may have a black magic marker slash at the bottom of the book pages to mark it as a close-out or a sticker on the dustcover covering the ISBN numbers, but I am so happy to be able to read a nice clean book. If I enjoy the book I will add it to my personal library or trade it with other book swappers who also have mold allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products