Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times

Advertisements

Gift bags and tissue paper!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Gift bags and tissue paper!!!!!
Agree on the gift bags and tissue paper. I buy those items there all the time when needed!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I agree also, I buy gift bags, greeting cards, platters, bowls, etc. that I'm taking somewhere and don't have to worry about getting back. (Also bought a bunch of "old folks" stuff as gag gifts for a friends' 60th b/d party)

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM

18 posts, read 57,551 times
Not everything at the dollar store is made in china. Quite a few items I buy at the Dollar Tree are made in the U.S or Canada.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Some one I know lucked out last spring, and found racks of small children's new, but past-season colorful jackets on sale for $2 apiece at the Family Dollar Store. She bought them out and shipped them off to a charity serving a special needs orphanage for ages three to seven in Eastern Europe. Even with postage, it was quite a deal, as she spent around $200 total and wound up with merchandise originally priced at over $1,000 - and the kids now have much-needed jackets. It was even a better deal than sending the same money to be spent in-country!

The recipient, who delivered the jackets to the orphanage, reported back that the little ones said "See! How I am beautiful!" when they donned their new coats (that probably would be more like "Look at me! I look cute!" in English).

So if you're at the right dollar store at the right time and know what can be done with what they have on sale, you can luck out - and can pass the "luck" along.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I am a dollar store shopper. We have two in our town...lots of decent products at our chain. Hey, you get what you pay for. Don't like em, don't go there....not sure where the bashing comes in.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,575 times
Buy cards, gift wrap, balloons, some cleaners and yes candy never had a problem with it. Do not buy the stickers there, I teach preschool and bought a bunch of cute Xmas stickers for the kids to decorate a paper tree. None of them stuck we ended up having to glue them on which defeated the purpose of a quick craft.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 AM

589 posts, read 1,348,055 times
I do a LOT of shopping at the dollar store. There are some items I use that I won't buy anywhere else.

The OP's article listed as the first item on the 'don't buy' list - batteries. I totally disagree. Yes, batteries from the dollar store aren't as strong as name brand. Yes, they don't last as long. Yes, you aren't getting value for your money. But, when my kids were toddlers with lots of obnoxiously loud toys, I would only use dollar store batteries for them. They weren't as strong - meant the toys weren't as loud and bright. They didn't last as long - meant the toys had more downtime than uptime, which was a good thing in my book. I didn't get value for my money, but I did get more quiet, which was well worth the extra pennies!

Sometimes it's not getting value, it's not getting quality, it's getting the right product for your immediate need.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I discovered a soap at the Dollar Tree that I just love. It's a big bar called Skin Milk and it has a subtle smell of vanilla. It's very creamy and reminds me of what Dove soap used to be like. And it appears to be lasting a long time. Not knowing how long it will be on the shelf, I went back and bought two more bars.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
I purchase Double Q canned salmon at dollar gen. that I make salmon patties from, it's Alaska salmon and good. I also purchase canned mushrooms as long as it's not from China, and we buy our candles, toilet paper, paper towels, and some dog treats too.

Some things from dollar stores are ok, but some of their stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products