Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 10:09 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,369 times

Advertisements

I do my grocery shopping online and our groceries are delivered every week. The bill usually comes to about $200. How much should I be tipping the delivery guy? He doesn't do the shopping, he just delivers them. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
ooo this is a good one you got me stump and I like to tip. Where Emily Post when I need her. I was going to say probably 10 percent but wow on 200 grocery bill that 20 bucks and I dont mean to sound frugal but that seems high. I would be ok with that if he actually grab all the items needed, bag them then put them away for me lol.

I probably tip him about same amount I tip the pizza delivery guy but I do pizza delivery on 10 percent scale too, and I never order 200 dollar worth of pizza. So me saying that I probably give 4 to 5 bucks lol

Old 04-29-2007, 03:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
what is the base charge for delivery??
first of all, unlike a waitress that NEED tips,,(they are usually at minimum wage or less) the delivery folks, are paid an hourly wage,,,not depending on tips, AND YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR HIS WAGES, BY MARGINS ON THE PRODUCT AND DELIVERY FEE.

dont be guilted into tips,,!!!! im no prude,,,but your paying enough for the groceries!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:32 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I do my grocery shopping online and our groceries are delivered every week. The bill usually comes to about $200. How much should I be tipping the delivery guy? He doesn't do the shopping, he just delivers them. Any suggestions?
Is it the same guy that delivers every week?
Does he deliver a bunch of orders during the same trip.

If so, I would tip for a simple reason.
The place we order pizza from will deliver ours first because he knows we tip well
Our pizza is always nice and hot.
So I would think the same theory would work with groceries especially during the summer with your cold stuff. I wouldn't have a problem handing him $10 on a $200 bill to "encourage" him to make sure my ice cream is still frozen
Plus with gas prices so high I am sure it is affecting their income.
But then again I am a firm believer in "a couple bucks really makes a difference"
I tip our garbarge folks at christmas and offer them soda or water when I see them out front picking up.
A couple of times I have had quite a bit of trash and they have said "don't worry we will take everything you took care of us we will take care of you"

When I moved down here from NJ I got a couple of funny looks when I tipped for different deliveries, tipping could be a regional thing.

karla

Old 04-29-2007, 05:16 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
Does he bring them in for you and place them on the counter?

And, it really makes a difference if it is the same guy. If it is...I would say no less than $10.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Wish we had online grocery shopping- it would make my life so much simpler. Had it in south Florida for a bit, but they stopped it.

I'm guessing $200= 10 bags (paper). Unless there are many stairs or they can't park near the door, I think I'd go with $5-$10 bucks depending on the service. More if you get the same person every time or there are extenuating circumstances.

For more than two decades, until I moved here, I would give three or four bucks to the Publix staff who would put the bags in my car. If they said that they couldn't take it, I would tell them to donate it to a charity. Publix's service in Jax the two stores in Mandarin, anyway, isn't that great, so now I just thank them.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Does he bring them in for you and place them on the counter?

And, it really makes a difference if it is the same guy. If it is...I would say no less than $10.
damn,,,mrs,, you are generous, wish i were your delivery man!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Is it the same guy that delivers every week?
Does he deliver a bunch of orders during the same trip.

If so, I would tip for a simple reason.
The place we order pizza from will deliver ours first because he knows we tip well
Our pizza is always nice and hot.
So I would think the same theory would work with groceries especially during the summer with your cold stuff. I wouldn't have a problem handing him $10 on a $200 bill to "encourage" him to make sure my ice cream is still frozen
Plus with gas prices so high I am sure it is affecting their income.
But then again I am a firm believer in "a couple bucks really makes a difference"
I tip our garbarge folks at christmas and offer them soda or water when I see them out front picking up.
A couple of times I have had quite a bit of trash and they have said "don't worry we will take everything you took care of us we will take care of you"

When I moved down here from NJ I got a couple of funny looks when I tipped for different deliveries, tipping could be a regional thing.

karla

karla,,,now arent you the sweetest thing!!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 AM

489 posts, read 2,014,845 times
I second that . . . Karla's post and the fact that Karla is VERY SWEET.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:39 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,585 times
I figure if I could afford to have it delivered 10%.
I would tip $20,we tip well anyways.I know Pizza Hut here charges $1.50 delivery fee and the driver doesn't get that .Base pay around minimum and tips and you pay for your own gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products