Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times

Advertisements

Just wondering . I understand about older folks who are used to writing checks, and they don't like a debit card. But what about everyone else? It puzzles me whenever I see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Because they can. It IS legal, you know!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,175,499 times
Why not?
Most places you don't have to even fill them out, just sign at the bottom.they scan it, the total is printed on it and it gets returned to you.

It's just like cash, no payments or interest.

Or should you go to the bank get out $100 then go to the store or just go to the store and write our a check.

It's even less of a hassle than a dept card.
You have to buy the debt card and fill it.
Sounds like a extra steep and how is it more covenant?

Everyone need a checking account anyway.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Well, well!! Yes, I know they can. I wasn't speaking of the type of debit card that you buy, I have no experience with that. It's just that I thought most checking accounts came with a debit card and it seems like a hassle to have to write out a check. And yes, I have definitely seen people writing out their checks then the clerk slides it through a machine. Of course you need a checking account I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Just wondering is all because it seems like extra work for the buyer. And of course, I'm being a bit nosy. But that's why I'm asking anonymously on the boards and not hasseling perfect strangers about their financial business .

Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Because it's a legal way to pay for purchases?

Filling out a check takes me less time than sliding the debit card, punching in my PIN, answering questions like do I want cash back? do I want to donate to xxx charity? do I want the entire amount on the card? is the amount OK? and then waiting for approval and waiting for the cashier to punch all the appropriate buttons on the register.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Alright, alright. Thanks for explaining . Ohio, you are probably a fast writer. I seem to get behind the disorganized check writer fumbling through her checkbook.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Because it's a legal way to pay for purchases?

Filling out a check takes me less time than sliding the debit card, punching in my PIN, answering questions like do I want cash back? do I want to donate to xxx charity? do I want the entire amount on the card? is the amount OK? and then waiting for approval and waiting for the cashier to punch all the appropriate buttons on the register.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Why not?
Most places you don't have to even fill them out, just sign at the bottom.they scan it, the total is printed on it and it gets returned to you.

It's just like cash, no payments or interest.

Or should you go to the bank get out $100 then go to the store or just go to the store and write our a check.

It's even less of a hassle than a dept card.
You have to buy the debt card and fill it.
Sounds like a extra steep and how is it more covenant?

Everyone need a checking account anyway.
Everyone does NOT NEED a checking account, I went 10 years without having one and I would love to be able to go back to not having one. It was much easier, less hassle, no keeping track of what check went to whom and when I was out of cash I was out of cash and my spending was done until next time I had cash. I only have a checking account because I have my own business that involves a lot of travel and it is safer and easier to use a debit card instead of having so much cash in hand. Otherwise I would NOT have a checking account again.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Everyone does NOT NEED a checking account
I do, as I have bills to pay.

How do you pay your bills?

Old 11-17-2012, 02:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,809 times
It is actually much safer than using your Debit/Credit Cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products