Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Unless one processes the deer themselves and makes their own sausage, it gets very expensive.

Why do you think many busy profitable locker plants in MN will shut down doing pork or beef processing /slaughter during the month of November?

Because processing deer is so darn profitable for them $$$$$$$$$$$$$ !
Yes sir it is!!

We do our own......but, it is a lot of work....and we have good equipment.

We have made sausage.......it is just not our thing......we will send some meat out for sausage every few years.

Last edited by Driller1; 03-04-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Unless one processes the deer themselves and makes their own sausage, it gets very expensive.

Why do you think many busy profitable locker plants in MN will shut down doing pork or beef processing /slaughter during the month of November?

Because processing deer is so darn profitable for them $$$$$$$$$$$$$ !
"Locker plants"?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
"Locker plants"?

That's what they are called in rural MN.

Places that slaughter/ process/ and rent out freezer lockers.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
That's what they are called in rural MN.

Places that slaughter/ process/ and rent out freezer lockers.
i remember going to a locker place as a kid, in the late 1950s. Didn't know they still had them. We have a 20 cubic foot freezer that we use to store food that we buy when on sale, at Costco, or that we freeze when the garden yields more than we can eat. If we see something like Pork Shoulder on sale we will by 2-3 and freeze them. We love artichokes and avocados, but if they are not on sale they are expensive here so we just do without. We buy flour by the 25 lb. bag at Costco and make much of our own bread, and other things from scratch. You would be surprised at how much you save making scratch pancake batter rather than boxes of Krusteaz or Bisquick, and it tastes better too.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
Dang , I forget the middle of the country may not have access to waters that contain healthy , easy to get
and or plentiful fish .
Is the hunting / trapping of birds and game also too much trouble ?
I wonder how ppl did it without guns or fancy equipment way back when ---- nevermind the cost of hunt / fishing licenses

On a side note , does anybody here ever trap / hunt smaller game and birds like squirrel or pigeon ? I hear it's pretty good esp squirrel , which my dad an gran dad ate much of in hard times .
If you are in a rural area and don't have a 22 odds are one of your neighbors will. That being said if you are on friendly terms if you ask and they are hunters they will be more than be happy to shoot some wild game for you, providing they have the time.

As an aside note ***for eating squirrels they must be killed when there has been a very, very cold season***. The reason being, if not you will get parasites can you say worms in your intestines and that is not a pleasant ordeal to endure! When cooking wild game especially squirrel don't hurry the cooking process, you want the meat well cooked!

This is just one of numerous squirrel recipes you can find on the WWW. Most all wild game is low in fat and far more tasty than commercially grown meat.

Rabbit is another wonderful choice but the same applies they carry parasites too. I think rabbit tastes better than chicken imo.

Boiled Squirrels and Dumplings | Duck Commander

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
If you are in a rural area and don't have a 22 odds are one of your neighbors will. That being said if you are on friendly terms if you ask and they are hunters they will be more than be happy to shoot some wild game for you, providing they have the time.

As an aside note ***for eating squirrels they must be killed when there has been a very, very cold season***. The reason being, if not you will get parasites can you say worms in your intestines and that is not a pleasant ordeal to endure! When cooking wild game especially squirrel don't hurry the cooking process, you want the meat well cooked!

This is just one of numerous squirrel recipes you can find on the WWW. Most all wild game is low in fat and far more tasty than commercially grown meat.

Rabbit is another wonderful choice but the same applies they carry parasites too. I think rabbit tastes better than chicken imo.

Boiled Squirrels and Dumplings | Duck Commander
Be careful with this.

I know in Michigan it is not legal to kill a deer to fill a license for someone else......and shooting one without a license can get you a big fine.....and maybe jail.

Small game has the same rules.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7...724---,00.html

Of couse, all states are different.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
As of right now hunting is still more expensive than buying meat.

That might change in the future.

Venison is our main meat but cheap it is not.

Fishing also is a pricey sport in our area.....now to get walleye the guys have to go 4 to 5 miles out on the bay.

Then they can just take 5 fish.

That takes good equipment.......but, the fish was great last night.
See the bolding I added to your post,

If you are a disabled( 60%) Veteran you can get a free hunting and fishing license, for sure in Texas. And! free state park admission, just take your paperwork the first time you go.

Texas State Veteran's Benefits | Military.com

As of Feb 5 this year, The disabled veteran license is now available to residents and non-residents, if they meet the requirements, which are listed below.

- See more at: FREE Hunting & Fishing License! | TexVet

I hope this post can help a few of you out there!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
See the bolding I added to your post,

If you are a disabled( 60%) Veteran you can get a free hunting and fishing license, for sure in Texas. And! free state park admission, just take your paperwork the first time you go.

Texas State Veteran's Benefits | Military.com

As of Feb 5 this year, The disabled veteran license is now available to residents and non-residents, if they meet the requirements, which are listed below.

- See more at: FREE Hunting & Fishing License! | TexVet

I hope this post can help a few of you out there!
The cost of the license is a small part.

Hunting gear expensive.....along with many other costs.

Right now the guys are hunting coyotes....just to run the dogs....not for our food.....they use $30 to $50 in gas a day.....and the dogs are not cheap.

If anyone is interested I could post what deer hunting really costs.

Example....the new scope on hubby bow was a little over $700.

This after noon the will likely go fishing.....to get out on the bay takes a quad (not cheap) a shany...that is a $400 and up....GPS system...underwater camera and other gear.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Beans.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Beans.
I LOVE bean soup!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products