Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,884 times

Advertisements

How much do you think you spend getting to various local stores for their sales items which are often very limited in stock so you have to get a rain check and go back?

I think people have to do what works for them. I'm in no condition to bounce from store to store looking for sales items. I have a large fridge in my kitchen and an upright freezer in my garage. I like being able to go once every several months and have what I need. Now, that I'm using a walker, just getting from a parking lot to a store takes all I have. I don't have a close-by Costco here but wouldn't hesitate to go back if I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,685 times
I've gone one close by. We go probably 3x a year. I mainly get my large items paper products there in bulk. I also like their sausage section so we stock up on that too. I buy lean hamburger in bult there to freeze and the frozen small shrimp. I never buy produce or dairy item there.

It's also a good place for all those frozen snacks I love (but eat only so often)

And I just love the samples.

ETA: I do also get my bulk canned items there as well and olive oils.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
How much do you think you spend getting to various local stores for their sales items which are often very limited in stock so you have to get a rain check and go back?

I think people have to do what works for them. I'm in no condition to bounce from store to store looking for sales items. I have a large fridge in my kitchen and an upright freezer in my garage. I like being able to go once every several months and have what I need. Now, that I'm using a walker, just getting from a parking lot to a store takes all I have. I don't have a close-by Costco here but wouldn't hesitate to go back if I did.
In my case the local stores are 1/2 mile away, and they always have the stuff. Costco is 20 minutes away. Just not worth it.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
In my case the local stores are 1/2 mile away, and they always have the stuff. Costco is 20 minutes away. Just not worth it.
It makes sense in your case. I lived near a Costco when I was in the Chicago area. It was just as close as any of the grocery stores and it was nice to stock-up on things I knew I would need at some point. I had the space for the extra items so it wasn't an issue.

Now, I'm in a new location and Costco is about 45 minutes away. I still like the products and prefer them over BJs and Sams but it's too far. However, I don't the ability to run out to the store for a quick item here and there. It wouldn't matter if a store was walking distance because I can't walk without a walker and a bunch of pain.

My father shops like you suggest. He goes to where the sales are and buys various items at different locations. They are all within five miles or less to his house but it still takes gas and time to get to each store. He is not injured so it's not a problem for him to do that. I just wonder how much he is really saving by driving here to there to chase sale items. Gas is expensive too.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM

346 posts, read 498,187 times
Most often:

Toilet paper
Paper towels
Kleenex
Trash bags
Laundry detergent
Dish detergent
Cat litter
Cat food
Coffee
Sugar
Nicorette
Advil
Shampoo
Mozzarella cheese

Sometimes:
Clam chowder or other pre-made soups
King crab legs at Christmas time
Frozen pesto ravioli
Various goodies they are handing out samples for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products