Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM

43 posts, read 32,999 times

Advertisements

I was stunned when I read this. Apparently some door to door vacuum salesmen will push their way into your house and then refuse to leave for hours.

Why do so many people put up with this?

'Aggressive' door-to-door tactics examined
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
In my part of the south, they'd be treated as home invaders. Worst case scenario is that they'd get shot.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 PM

24,475 posts, read 26,012,991 times
We haven't seen a vacuum cleaner salesman since the late 1950's.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
Hello 911 ? There is a unwanted person in my home, send a patrol car , right away, please. Yes he is under control, my dog has him cornered in the basement. Is he breathing, yes, quite quickly, in fact.

Does he need EMS ? No , unless the dog gets a bit more excited......Yes that is him screaming, in the background. No I don't think he is on drugs, but maybe later he will need some. His name ? I don't know, he seems to have forgotten why he wanted to be in my house. Is he armed? No, but he seems to be pleading for mercy, right now. Hold on a minute...........Rex, leave the guy alone, you ate all ready to day.

There is some one at the door, oh its the Police, I guess I can hang up now ? You are going to save this tape for the annual training session for new dispatchers ? Sure I guess that's OK.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Hello 911 ? There is a unwanted person in my home, send a patrol car , right away, please. Yes he is under control, my dog has him cornered in the basement. Is he breathing, yes, quite quickly, in fact.

Does he need EMS ? No , unless the dog gets a bit more excited......Yes that is him screaming, in the background. No I don't think he is on drugs, but maybe later he will need some. His name ? I don't know, he seems to have forgotten why he wanted to be in my house. Is he armed? No, but he seems to be pleading for mercy, right now. Hold on a minute...........Rex, leave the guy alone, you ate all ready to day.

There is some one at the door, oh its the Police, I guess I can hang up now ? You are going to save this tape for the annual training session for new dispatchers ? Sure I guess that's OK.

Jim B

Toronto.
Ahhh. North of the border they are so nice. Probably gave 'em a coupon to the Pickle Barrel on the way out.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Around here, the phrase is SSS.

"You seen a pushy salesman around here?"

"Nope. Garden is growing good this year though."

Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
We haven't seen a vacuum cleaner salesman since the late 1950's.
Same here, and also the Fuller Brush Man...long gone era.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiller594 View Post
I was stunned when I read this. Apparently some door to door vacuum salesmen will push their way into your house and then refuse to leave for hours.

Why do so many people put up with this?

'Aggressive' door-to-door tactics examined
He would not push his way into MY house. I don't see it happen through CLOSED door...

When someone knocks on the door, I first look who is this, and then decide to open/talk or not.
Who is in change of my home, salesman or me, huh?

People act stupid and then complain. No common sense at all?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,761 times
They wouldn't like me, as they were attempting the demonstration of their vacuums on my carpet, I would be demonstrating the effects of a katana on a vacuum hose.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
A little old lady answered a knock on the door one day, only to be confronted by a well-dressed young man carrying a vacuum cleaner.

Good morning, " said the young man. "If I could take a couple of minutes of your time, I would like to demonstrate the very latest in high-powered vacuum cleaners. "

"Go away!" said the old lady. "I haven't got any money!" and she proceeded to close the door.

Quick as a flash, the young man wedged his foot in the door and pushed wide open. "Don't be too hasty!" he said. "Not until you have at least seen my demonstration." And with that, he emptied a bucket of horse manure onto her hallway carpet.

"If this vacuum cleaner does not remove all traces of this horse manure from your carpet, Madam, I will personally eat the remainder."

The old lady stepped back and said, "Well I hope you've got a darn good appetite, because they cut off my electricity this morning."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products