Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times

Advertisements

The problem with online shopping and return policies is that sometimes you find in the package of your order that certain items are actually used and returned by previous customers. If the condition is still almost perfect except for sign of use/wear, and is sold out after your order, would you keep or return it--e.g. in case they are shoes? How many people simply would never accept anything tried/used by other customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
The problem with online shopping and return policies is that sometimes you find in the package of your order that certain items are actually used and returned by previous customers. If the condition is still almost perfect except for sign of use/wear, and is sold out after your order, would you keep or return it--e.g. in case they are shoes? How many people simply would never accept anything tried/used by other customers?
Contact the seller - "almost perfect, showing signs of wear/use" - isn't new - ask for a discount/credit if they sold the item as New.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
That is not just a problem with online shopping, it happens all the time at retail stores too. Beware of the bubble package that has tape around it.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
If I pay for new and it's not new, it goes back, that includes prostitutes

Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
If it is really worn, I'd consider returning it.

If there is only negligible wear and tear and it looks like it still has over 90% of its useful life left, I just let it go - life's too short.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 PM

551 posts, read 583,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If it is really worn, I'd consider returning it.

If there is only negligible wear and tear and it looks like it still has over 90% of its useful life left, I just let it go - life's too short.
Today I received a replacement pair of Nine West heels (sooo cute, but run small apparently) and it is evident that someone had previously owned them. I mean the original pair I received carefully placed in the shoe box with a thin strip of cardboard between the shoes, the ankles straps were wrapped with foam, and there was a "stick" inside each shoe to maintain it's shape. Obviously never worn.

The pair I got today however had the straps undone, none of the nice wrapping and had been tossed into the box. NOW. They are not worn, as in, scuffed or dirty (There was a bit of sediment on the soles). But I could see, clearly, that they were not a brand spanking new pair. I won't be returning them since they fit perfectly and are super adorable and were the last ones in the size I need! But- I had read this thread earlier and just wanted to add my anecdote. It is kind of annoying to receive them (and paying the same price) not packaged as nicely as brand new and knowing that someone else's feet were shoved in there...although going to the shoe store may result in the same. Well, I am happy they are not scuffed or yucky

Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
What makes you know they have been used? If the soles are scuffed, I would probably return them, but if they had simply appeared to be purchased, tried on and then returned, no big deal. The same as I would not hesitate to buy a display model of something. Some people would be bothered by this, I am just not one to get to upset over things like this. We once bought a computer that had really been used. No, it wasn't on line, it was from the computer store. It took us awhile to realize it: seems there was more stuff stored in it than we could have stored in 5 years. Now, that really ticked us off but it was too late to do much about it.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM

208 posts, read 604,183 times
It doesn't phase me that an item has been used by others before. I shop at thrift stores often, and one would be hard-pressed to find brand new items. That said, I understand there is a difference if you're buying something marked as new, but the item is not exactly new. This has happened to me before - I ordered a really cute sweater online, and it was absolutely the last one left of my size. It came to me wrapped, but I can tell it had been returned. Given that I had really wanted it, that it was the last one, and that in the grand scheme of things it was only $15, I kept it. The time I would've spent trying to return the sweater and the discount I might or might not have received weren't worth it to me.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
If I paid for new then I expect new. If I want used I go to a resale store.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:23 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Opened & returned != Used

not every new item you buy will be factory sealed with the China smog still trapped in the box. Sometimes someone will have opened that box before you did, but that doesn't render the item "used."

When you shop for a new car, do you refuse to buy the car you test drove because it is now "used"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products