Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:52 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times

Advertisements

I am not a big fan of the whole tracking of my purchases. Drives me insane. I get so tired of it. I like when stores don't have these stupid cards. I also don't like the fact that when the machine prints coupons it is always for something random that I don't need or won't be able to use. Why do I need a coupon for infant formula. I am a single male with no children, WTF? So random. This is all just more big brother watching us all. Big Government + Big Business working hand in hand to control us all through shopper cards. I have heard too other stores are able to track your purchases through your credit card swipe. Not sure how it works but still don't want my purchases tracked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 08:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
CVS is really the only one I use. It is nice to get extrabucks quarterly that I can use to help purchase any items in the store. If one doesn't have their card, one can use the phone number that one gave when the card was issued.
CVS is the card I hate the most. For one thing, they are more persistent about the shopper using it, in my experience. For another, their prices are quite high. I shopped there at my old neighborhood which was quite remote very frequently, but stopped when I moved. Now I rarely shop there, because even with the card I'll only shop there when my arm is falling off, I'm losing blood rapidly, and I need my girlfriend to buy me a tourniquet pronto. OTOH, the cashiers got tired of people being pissed about always getting hit up for their card long ago, so when they don't have it, they always scan a blank one.

A while back at my neighborhood CVS the management apparently caught wind of shoppers not using their old CVS cards and cashiers always scanning new ones. So they set up a kiosk that printed out coupons for whatever was on sale that the shopper wanted to buy. In order for the shopper to receive the coupon, the customer had to scan his/her CVS card that they had owned for at least two weeks in order to receive the special. What a headache for the customer that was! That gimmick didn't go over well either, because customers ended up just not buying any items at all. About a month later, they removed the kiosk

Old 09-08-2014, 11:06 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
My local stores are bypassing the reward card by having you upload their ap on your cell phone to get the coupons. Or you have to use a FB, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest account. Well I don't have a cell (yes I'm living without mine well thank you) and I don't want to "have to have" a FB, be a Tweeter, Instagram or Pinterest just to buy groceries with a discount.

To add to that they own a chain of gas stations so we get those cents off per gallon as well. The kicker is these gas stations are ran by folks who get to come over here set up a business & not have to pay sales tax for a set period of time. That isn't fair to the businesses that have been here for years then these other ran stores undercut prices to draw in customers. I refuse to shop at one so I lose the cents off per gallon.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
My local stores are bypassing the reward card by having you upload their ap on your cell phone to get the coupons. Or you have to use a FB, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest account. Well I don't have a cell (yes I'm living without mine well thank you) and I don't want to "have to have" a FB, be a Tweeter, Instagram or Pinterest just to buy groceries with a discount.

To add to that they own a chain of gas stations so we get those cents off per gallon as well. The kicker is these gas stations are ran by folks who get to come over here set up a business & not have to pay sales tax for a set period of time. That isn't fair to the businesses that have been here for years then these other ran stores undercut prices to draw in customers. I refuse to shop at one so I lose the cents off per gallon.
How does one get an exemption from paying sales tax?

Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But, that's the thing. I AM getting a discount. This week, by using my shopper's card, I got packages of Purdue chicken breast, buy one, get one free. The price per pound was the same $4.99 it usually is, not marked up to give faux savings. So, instead of paying $40.00 for 4 packs, I paid $20. And, I have enough chicken in the freezer to last me until the next time it goes on sale.

If you don't want to take advantage of the savings, fine. More for me.
$4.99 a pound for chicken, your getting hosed.....

Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
$4.99 a pound for chicken, your getting hosed.....
It's $5.99 down the block at Publix. I can get cheaper chicken, one brand or another is always on sale, but if I can get a deal on Purdue, I'm going to take it.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 PM

81 posts, read 106,476 times
Most of the time you can tell the cashier your phone number, use your area code and the number 867-5309. It works almost everywhere. Just try not to sing it.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:15 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I have the CVS app and I love it.
They can collect all the data they want if I get my toilet paper 30% off and avoid the horrors of Walmart. :P

Old 09-21-2014, 07:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
My Kroger card saves me tons of money. A lot of stuff at my local Kroger is cheaper than it is at Target and is competitive with Wal-Mart (usually a few cents more). I comparison-shop and I do not do all my shopping at Kroger; for example, laundry detergent is MUCH more expensive there as are personal care items, so I buy those elsewhere. Since Kroger does fuel points for gift cards, I buy Target gift cards there for the 2x fuel points then save money by buying shampoo and stuff at Target. Win/win.

And when they do the 4x fuel points promo....hooooooooooo boy, I rack up my Amazon.com gift card credit balance! And I get $1 off per gallon on gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products