Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 07:12 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times

Advertisements

Every time I turn around one of the products I use on a regular basis disappears from the shelves at Walmart. It either goes into online only limbo or they just stop carrying it completely. The charcoal filters for my coffee pot(they still sell the coffee pot itself in store, just not the replacement filters which makes it even better), specific variations of frozen foods, my preferred creamer, and now my preferred body wash has disappeared and isn't even available online. And this isn't the first time my preferred scent of body wash has been kicked to the curb. I just don't get it, and I'm to the point where if my wife wasn't an employee I'd probably stop shopping there altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Its not only Walmart, its other retailers too. Retail is so tight right now that if a product doesn't turn (time taken before replenishment needed) enough they simply drop it. All retailers are looking for the perfect mix to increase the amount of turns. Walmart is having serious problems with turns as it loses customers. Walk into a Walmart and look for clearance. What used to be a section is now multiple aisles. Online is no better. A few years ago when I ordered an item, it arrived within a few business days. Now its taking upwards of ten business days and their websites are not revealing that it's not is in stock.
And what is Walmarts fix for this? Open more stores.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And what is Walmarts fix for this? Open more stores.
Yep I am within driving distance of 4 or 5 Walmarts (that I know of!) and they all carry different things! I'm not sure this is based on demographics, but perhaps. When I find that a Walmart doesn't carry something I like/need I can often find in at another Walmart. I am not sure if this will work where you are located, but we practically have a Walmart on every block.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Product life cycles are amazingly short these days, and even with established products there are enough changes to make people pull out their hair. With some products, it can be practical to stock up. Others just have to be bid farewell and remembered.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We have had that issue with Costco, too. For example, they stopped carrying the parchment paper used for baking. We stopped by and got some at the Vancouver, BC Costco where they still have it though with the label in French and English.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I have told people for years that "if I like it, it WILL be discontinued"

Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Walmart buys tons of an items at one time and when they sell out they move on to something else without replacing the sold out items. They will also price the same item differently at different stores in different areas in the same region. It's all demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products