Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why is it sad? people are allowed to shop whenever they want... you guys do realize you do not have to go to WalMart at 6pm right? that is just when it opens...

I will for sure be there at Thanksgiving and am happy that i don't have to stay up till midnight.

Gonna get my Xbox One, play my game for a couple hours and i'll be in bed well before midnight
It's not sad that they have the freedom to shop. It's the greed and consumerism that is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
What I think should be illegal are all of the products that are only available on Black Friday! Why did we ever buy into this sales gimmick that allows retailers to sell specially manufactured products? There is virtually no way to really compare item for item to know if we are actually saving money. I just feel, that to be fair, any products sold on Black Friday should be available all year round.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What I think should be illegal are all of the products that are only available on Black Friday! Why did we ever buy into this sales gimmick that allows retailers to sell specially manufactured products? There is virtually no way to really compare item for item to know if we are actually saving money. I just feel, that to be fair, any products sold on Black Friday should be available all year round.
You do realize that those door buster items do not yield a high profit margin right? They are there to just get you in the door. You go to buy that 200 dollar TV and when you get there, they are gone. So, you still wander around the store and end up picking something else. Or, say you do get the TV. Now you need accessories. Maybe a new Blu Ray player to go with that new TV. They get you to buy a new power strip and don't forget the HDMI cable. Those items are the high profit items and that is where they truly make their money.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
You do realize that those door buster items do not yield a high profit margin right? They are there to just get you in the door. You go to buy that 200 dollar TV and when you get there, they are gone. So, you still wander around the store and end up picking something else. Or, say you do get the TV. Now you need accessories. Maybe a new Blu Ray player to go with that new TV. They get you to buy a new power strip and don't forget the HDMI cable. Those items are the high profit items and that is where they truly make their money.
Yes...these are called "loss leaders" and businesses do this every day of the year. There are some products businesses consistently lose money on, or make such an absurdly low profit on, that the only reason they are even offered is to entice people into the store where hopefully they'll spend more money.

If you see a super-awesome sale at the supermarket where you think to yourself "HOLY CRAP I GOTTA GET THERE NOW!", the store's probably taking a bath on it profit-wise. But while you're there loading up on $.98/lb strawberries, they hope you'll buy some high-margin items while you're at it. It obviously works, since stores keep doing it.

BF is no different.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:55 PM

9 posts, read 10,201 times
I'm just holding out for a 40inch HDTV for my father in law. He's got bad eyesight and could really use the upgrade from the 20 something inch standard definition TV he has now.

Other than that I'm hoping for some Christmas gifts that I could grab up.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
This makes no sense. Where's the logic in that?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This makes no sense. Where's the logic in that?
I just feel that the consumers should be able to buy the same products all year long. Having 'special' products, only on Black Friday, does not allow consumers to really compare/price shop.

I love a deal. Years ago, when we shopped on Black Friday, we bought the same products that we could find all year long. Recently, in the last decade, we have purchased electronics that have not held up for what I consider a 'normal' lifetime. I'm to the point that I feel that these 'deals' are not really deals.

As far as the poor stores loosing money on Black Friday items: I don't set the price - they do. Of course it is a calculated risk; that is why some store make it and others do not. Life is a gamble.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I just feel that the consumers should be able to buy the same products all year long. Having 'special' products, only on Black Friday, does not allow consumers to really compare/price shop.

I love a deal. Years ago, when we shopped on Black Friday, we bought the same products that we could find all year long. Recently, in the last decade, we have purchased electronics that have not held up for what I consider a 'normal' lifetime. I'm to the point that I feel that these 'deals' are not really deals.

As far as the poor stores loosing money on Black Friday items: I don't set the price - they do. Of course it is a calculated risk; that is why some store make it and others do not. Life is a gamble.
But why are you against free commerce and general freedom in America? There are already plenty of goods available all-year-round. Nothing stopping you from purchasing those. It's not like the opportunity to shop today has been taken away.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But why are you against free commerce and general freedom in America? There are already plenty of goods available all-year-round. Nothing stopping you from purchasing those. It's not like the opportunity to shop today has been taken away.
It appears deceptive. If you buy a house and the owner does not disclose water problems, leaking underground fuel tanks, leaking roof, lead paint, or whatever; you would be the first to try and get your money back. Just because the big screen TV looks like another, similar, model; does not mean that the insides are the same.

I had my own shop and I know that these choices are not easy. Being in business is not easy. Being a consumer isn't easy either. Many consumers have serious financial problems and do not need to make a mistake. Special, promo, merchandise that appears to be the same as 'normal' merchandise; does not help consumers make up their minds.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Default Walmart Black Friday WEEK??

Walmart is doing a pre Black Friday sale all week. Signs all over the store on deals. We are busy. lol On top of that starting Black Friday at 5 PM Thanksgiving Day... Well, what next? lol I got my schedule and was only going to work 9:30 to 2:00. Then I was asked if I'd work 5:00 to 9:00 as well and I said yes. I'll go home at 2:00, eat dinner with my mom and go back at 5:00. Hey, it's money and I'll take it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products