Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Pictures 1 and 2 are amber (orangish) - the last picture is lighter - guess it depends on lighting, monitors, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
It does look different enough that I would be unhappy too. But it's really going to depend on the shipping and return policy of the company you purchased it from. I recently bought a dresser online, because it was less expensive than I could buy locally by about $500 (for a dresser I paid just under $1000 on a Black Friday sale). The policy of the place I bought it from required me to refuse the delivery if there were any issues with it. Fortunately, aside from several delays in the delivery process, the piece itself was as expected.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
Thanks for all the replies.

Thankfully I purchased this item from Cymax through Amazon Smile (which actually allows part of the sale price to go to a non-profit of your choice. So had we kept the dining set the animal shelter that I picked would have received 5% of the price I paid. It's a pretty neat thing Amazon offers).

Anyhow, I e-mailed Cymax and so far they have been apologetic. They haven't stated who will be responsible for return shipping but they requested pictures to support my claim which I sent to them. We'll see what happens.

(The picture that I posted here of the actual color is accurate. Definitely not what I had been expecting)
Attached Thumbnails
Furniture color different from description - who pays for return?-minmax.ms1.jpg   Furniture color different from description - who pays for return?-1.jpg  

Old 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Thankfully I purchased this item from Cymax through Amazon Smile (which actually allows part of the sale price to go to a non-profit of your choice. So had we kept the dining set the animal shelter that I picked would have received 5% of the price I paid. It's a pretty neat thing Amazon offers).
Its actually 0.5% of the purchase price (minus shipping and handling charges).

Old 03-24-2015, 06:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I looked up the set on Wayfair and part of the description was:

"The Amber finish has a warm overtone with subtle dark burnished accents that make the natural, soft distressing show through."

http://www.wayfair.com/Grand-Isle-Di...01-WW2928.html
Just wondering, how did you know it was from Wayfair? Wow, I hadn't read the whole thread before I posted! The pic you posted is the same and I see where the OP named the online shop. I've always guessed that there was some type of "secret" furniture source and it looks like there is!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Just wondering, how did you know it was from Wayfair?
I never assumed the OP got her furniture from Wayfair, I just used it as an example for the furniture's description.

You can do a reverse image search on Google to find where else an image has been used. Mayfair was just one of many sites that sold that dinning room set. But since its a well known site, I used their description of the set.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:42 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
I never assumed the OP got her furniture from Wayfair, I just used it as an example for the furniture's description.

You can do a reverse image search on Google to find where else an image has been used. Mayfair was just one of many sites that sold that dinning room set. But since its a well known site, I used their description of the set.
Hi thanks. I'm not familiar with a reverse image search. What do you do, copy and paste the image into google search?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi thanks. I'm not familiar with a reverse image search. What do you do, copy and paste the image into google search?
When you go to search images on Google there will be a camera icon in the search box, if you click on it you can put in the pictures url. You can also drag the picture and drop it into the images search box.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
When you go to search images on Google there will be a camera icon in the search box, if you click on it you can put in the pictures url. You can also drag the picture and drop it into the images search box.
You can also just right click on the image, and then there is an option to image search that image. That's using the Chrome browser, that may not be the case with other browsers.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:19 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Folks,

I bought a [very expensive] dining room set and the description said that the color is maple and the photo looked really nice.

Got it delivered today- super heavy stuff, shipped from across the country. The actual color is much darker and is more like a cherry color.

The seller's website doesn't specify what the return policy is in this kind of scenario and I suspect they'll want me to pay for return freight which is probably as much as the dining set.

What do I do? Should they technically pay for return shipping or not? If they refuse, can I try a small claims court? I'm so disappointed especially since it's a huge purchase and I was looking forward to it
The buyer pays for return.
Before purchasing something online you should inform yourself that photos in catalogs/photos online look slightly different from actual item in terms of color due to the lighting during photo shooting or the monitor's display.
You cannot assume that the color you see on your monitor is exactly the same as the color of the ware.
Here is explained why:
How to Match Colors From Photos to Real Life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products