Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,037 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I bought a [very expensive] dining room set and the description said that the color is maple and the photo looked really nice.

Got it delivered today- super heavy stuff, shipped from across the country. The actual color is much darker and is more like a cherry color.

The seller's website doesn't specify what the return policy is in this kind of scenario and I suspect they'll want me to pay for return freight which is probably as much as the dining set.

What do I do? Should they technically pay for return shipping or not? If they refuse, can I try a small claims court? I'm so disappointed especially since it's a huge purchase and I was looking forward to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,037 times
Here are the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Furniture color different from description - who pays for return?-photo-3-.jpg   Furniture color different from description - who pays for return?-photo-4-.jpg   Furniture color different from description - who pays for return?-111.jpg  

Last edited by Flavia84; 03-19-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Folks,

I bought a [very expensive] dining room set and the description said that the color is maple and the photo looked really nice.

Got it delivered today- super heavy stuff, shipped from across the country. The actual color is much darker and is more like a cherry color.

The seller's website doesn't specify what the return policy is in this kind of scenario and I suspect they'll want me to pay for return freight which is probably as much as the dining set.

What do I do? Should they technically pay for return shipping or not? If they refuse, can I try a small claims court? I'm so disappointed especially since it's a huge purchase and I was looking forward to it
I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you an unknown companies return policy. Do they have a customer service number or email to get in touch with them and ask?

Maybe they sent you the wrong set? In which case they would pay for return shipping and send you the correct color that you wanted. I would at least get in contact with them first before thinking about small claims court.

I don't think I could ever make an expensive purchase like that without seeing the items in person, especially if I wanted a very specific color. Colors can vary depending on your computer, so its not going to be an exact match. They might have even had a disclaimer about color differences, I know a lot of websites do so that they are not responsible in instances such as this. Taking them to small claims court will do you no good, as they'll just be able to say you knew the color might not be exactly as it was online.

In the future, if its a good price online, I would at least see if a local store carried it to see the color and the quality of the furniture before committing to an expensive online purchase.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
What you haven't included in your post is how the finish was described on the site.
Your saying it looks like cherry, for instance, means nothing for comparison purposes since all woods are more describing the grain and hardness/softness, not a color and could be stained many different tones.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What you haven't included in your post is how the finish was described on the site.
Your saying it looks like cherry, for instance, means nothing for comparison purposes since all woods are more describing the grain and hardness/softness, not a color and could be stained many different tones.
I looked up the set on Wayfair and part of the description was:

"The Amber finish has a warm overtone with subtle dark burnished accents that make the natural, soft distressing show through."

http://www.wayfair.com/Grand-Isle-Di...01-WW2928.html

Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
This is one of the big problems with ordering over the internet real sight unseen products. Photos and pictures can vary immensely. You need to call the customer service number and ask about their return policy.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I looked up the set on Wayfair and part of the description was:

"The Amber finish has a warm overtone with subtle dark burnished accents that make the natural, soft distressing show through."

http://www.wayfair.com/Grand-Isle-Di...01-WW2928.html
I guess I would expect Amber to be a orangey/yellow shade but in the same way their internet pictures can't be totally trusted for accuracy, neither can yours so won't offer any opinions, even though it does look quite a bit different.
In the long run, your only option is to contact them express your displeasure and see what is offered.
Let us know.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:30 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
You may return an item for a refund of the merchandise total within 30 days of delivery; all you need to do is ship the item back to us. Return credits are issued within 24 hours once the item is received and inspected. Please note, if you return an item the return shipping costs will be deducted from your total refund amount.

^^^^^^
If you purchased from wayfair, the above is copied and pasted from their web site return policy.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:30 PM

7,635 posts, read 8,705,627 times
I once bought a chair online stated to be "leather". Upon receiving, it didn't look like leather at all. After contacting the seller, they said it's made of "split leather". I repacked the chair and hauled it to the post office and sent it back (the largest, heaviest package I've ever mailed by post). I paid return shipping. Don't remember if they charged restocking fee or not, but I bought another chair from them with a coupon code. The OP may be able to negotiate with the seller to make a settlement.

Another time bought a rocker from Home Depot. The arm was broken. Contacted them for return to be picked up by UPS. They didn't have it picked up until maybe almost a month later!

Really sucks when buying furniture online and your expectation is too high, especially with stingy sellers.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Even though the description says amber, the pics on the website don't look anything close to any shade of amber I've ever seen. Agree that maple is just a description of the type of wood and not a reference to the color of the finish. Doubt much that the company will pick up the shipping cost of a return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products