Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
You must love Mattress stores too, since those are being built all over the place. There are 4 within the same city block on Rivers Avenue.
Heard this story about mattress stores on NPR recently. You may enjoy it.

Why are there so many mattress stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 AM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
I actually like Starbucks, but......we've got four of them within my direct area, if you count the two that are inside big-box stores.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
How about sub-way? There's one on every corner around here...(though I've been known to eat some subs...).

Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
W A L M A R T !!

Magnet of the doomed.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 AM

706 posts, read 758,181 times
Beyond a doubt, my least favorite store is Walmart. I won't step foot in one unless I have no choice in the matter (like when I visit my disabled mom in her little town and she asks me to get something for her from there). They are one of the main reasons why small family businesses go under. They cheat their employees. They demand their manufacturers to cheapen their products so they can get those "low low prices". Almost everything is junk from China. Oh, and they're trying to downgrade organic standards so that they can profit from this new market.

All sorts of reasons to avoid Wallyworld, IMO.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:05 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC
For me, the most worthless stores are dollar stores and mattress stores. They're everywhere and they serve no purpose for me.
Well for me Aldi's is fast approaching the top of my LEAST FAVOURITE!! (Ever since they started having the same garbage in there that is in reg stores (Lower sodium,lower sugar,skim milk (Instead of reg),etc))

But besides them I would say DOLLAR STORES........

Old 06-28-2016, 03:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
IKEA-I've been there two or three times, and I can't stand the place. Our location is a two story store, the biggest store I've ever been to hands down (a noteworthy accomplishment among retail stores here in Houston), and the times I went in there, I felt like a rat searching for that elusive piece of cheese. It's a giant maze of a place, too big to be useful or practical, and it is impossible to locate anything.

I also had a constant lingering anxiety in the back of my mind: if the place caught on fire, would I be able to escape? I seriously doubted it. After all, I was unable to even locate the restroom, much less the fire exits in the event of a mass panic such as a huge inferno. With that logical, if unlikely scenario firmly planted in my head, I decided not to go back. Amazingly enough, I've survived just fine without do-it-yourself faux knock-off Swedish Lego furniture that's actually Chinese
I forgot about Ikea. I went there twice. The first time, they were raffling off a house - all you had to do was walk through the maze and get to the cash register to enter. When we left I told my wife that if we won the house, it would almost have been worth it - almost. We did not win the house. I swore I would never go back.

I was kind of forced to go back. My wife's parents sent money to buy our kids a bunk bed that they had picked out at Ikea. It was impractical to ship it so they asked us to just run over and pick it up for them as a gift to our kids. We could nto just go get some other bunk bed because they had gone to the trouble to pick this one out and had selected it as the one they wanted to give our kids. They would see it when the came to visit. I did not make it through the maze. Before we found the bunk bed, the place was making me crazy so I had to find a "Can I help you?" person to get me out and I sat in the car until it was time to load the bunk bed.

Later, we needed a large piece of butcher block for a counter. the only place we could find that had it was Ikea. I decided to spring for the hugely more expensive option of soapstone, when my wife said she would enter the bowels of hell (Ikea) and buy the butcher block.

My family makes joke about my terror of Ikea. Of course I waffle between whether Ikea, Disneyland or root canals are worse. Thinking about it, I think maybe root canals are not so bad in comparison.

I am also not a fan of their furniture with 2500 parts and directions consisting of a one page cartoon that says, "Assemble top bunk, assemble bottom bunk, connect top bunk to bottom bunk." It took us three days to assemble that #()& %$*#$* bunk bed, and only one day for the kid to start breaking it.

Oh then I was really ticked when I learned the bunk bed needed a mattress in an odd size that was not included and only sold at Ikea. Then it needed odd sized sheets, also only available at Ikea. I wanted to throw the bunk bed away and just tell the inlaws it was stolen, but my wife did not believe the bunk bed thief ring would fly, so she went on her own to buy the mattresses, and then again for the sheets. I felt so ashamed, but I just did nto have the courage to return to the torment that is shopping at Ikea.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:43 PM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
Starbucks - I have nothing against the store itself, but it's getting to be too many of them in the same area. For example - there are three of them within two blocks from where I work. (one store is stand-alone, the other two are inside big box retailers)

Wal-Mart - The one closest to me is an enjoyable shopping experience if you enjoy being around people who confuse pushing shopping carts with playing bumper cars, let their kids run around/scream/play tag in the aisles,.....etc.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Target. Absolutely nothing there for men. Especially tall men, like me.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
I get mac and cheese there myself........ (Spirals) they are very good... (Well they used to be.... The 1s with an expiration date AFTER FEB 2017 have not been the same and its sad..... (Im hopefull its just a bad bunch of them)

I really love the stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products