Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:28 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

L.A. prosecutors are accusing four big retailers — JC Penney, Sears, Kohl’s and Macy’s — of tricking shoppers, read more...
L.A. prosecutors are accusing four big retailers — JC Penney, Sears, Kohl’s and Macy’s — of tricking shoppers - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 06:06 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
"Tricking" shoppers? Are they kidding?

Old 12-09-2016, 06:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I'm surprised they haven't sued Amazon for this. I'm not sure if they can, but I suspected Amazon has been using false reference pricing for years. As for Kohl's it's obvious they use false reference pricing. Any Kohl's customer with three brain cells to klink together would know that. Kohl's says all their items are on sale all the time, which is impossible. They obviously jack up the starting price of their stuff to make it seem like the customer is getting a great deal. Sure it's misleading. As with all purchases, buyer beware.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:49 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Only JC Penney, Sears, Kohl’s and Macy’s ? Might as well expand it to all chain retailers that exist as B&Ms and online as they all use manufacturers MSRP as reference pricing. Some even use the MSRP it had when it hit the market rather than it's current MSRP. Best Buy does this heavily.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Many on-line retailers use tricks in their pricing.

I shop a bit online at Chico's. They will run a sale and jack up the prices. You have to really watch an item to see it-big discount, the price goes up. Minimal discount, the price is moderated.

Coldwater Creek did the same thing. I guess those who are stalking a certain item will jump no matter what the price. I wait them out.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:42 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Only JC Penney, Sears, Kohl’s and Macy’s ?
Exactly!

Old 12-13-2016, 10:08 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Actually, a company can use List or MSRP so long as they identify that as the basis. What these retailers are accused of is showing a "regular" price as if that is their normal selling price. Reality is, they sell they normally sell that item for a lot less or an always on sale price. So, advertising 25% off sale but using the MSRP or List price isn't the same as a 25% off sale using the retailers actual lower normal selling price. Additionally, even when they use their high selling price, if they raised it for 1 day just to claim that price to use for markdowns, it's deceptive.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Everyone does this.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:44 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm surprised they haven't sued Amazon for this. I'm not sure if they can, but I suspected Amazon has been using false reference pricing for years. As for Kohl's it's obvious they use false reference pricing. Any Kohl's customer with three brain cells to klink together would know that. Kohl's says all their items are on sale all the time, which is impossible. They obviously jack up the starting price of their stuff to make it seem like the customer is getting a great deal. Sure it's misleading. As with all purchases, buyer beware.
For the clothes that I buy I very rarely see them selling at MSRP except on rare occasions (usually when the product is first released). Once the product is available on a general scale the MSRP is never shown again on Amazon, not even as a strikethrough price. Usually strikethrough prices for the clothes that I buy are the normal selling price in Amazon, and if Amazon is selling it for less than their normal selling price, the normal selling price will be shown as the strikethrough price.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:18 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
For the clothes that I buy I very rarely see them selling at MSRP except on rare occasions (usually when the product is first released). Once the product is available on a general scale the MSRP is never shown again on Amazon, not even as a strikethrough price. Usually strikethrough prices for the clothes that I buy are the normal selling price in Amazon, and if Amazon is selling it for less than their normal selling price, the normal selling price will be shown as the strikethrough price.
Amazon is slippery.

They'll give you a range. Like I'm into Perry Ellis heavy. They'll list a product and say that it sells anywhere between $6 to $199. I click on the product and I see a small selling for like $6. By the time I click on my size, the price is like $35, the color is different, and the style may be slim instead of regular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products