Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 01:47 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

I buy a lot online from Macy's, and I especially like that I can return to the local Macy's for an immediate refund instead of waiting for a refund to post to my account if the item doesn't fit, etc.

However, I've noticed, Macy's tends to "play games" with their prices, colors, and availability. I'm not talking about periodic sales, but changing the price, style, color and availability several times a day

For example, a purse I really, really wanted was on sale, marked down from $298 to $125 Wow, what a bargain, I must buy! But every time I tried to purchase it, it was not available in the color I wanted. It would be available in denim and cement for $125, but luggage, which was the color I wanted, was not available. Then, luggage became available, but marked down from $298 to $233. Then, luggage was no longer available even at that price!

Then, denim and cement went up to $233, and luggage still not available. Then, I happened to find---luggage offered at the $125 price! I clicked it in my bag, but by the time I tried to order, it was unavailable again But, denim was available at $125 So, I figured denim would be nice, and perhaps I could take it back to the local Macy's to exchange later for luggage. So, denim is on the way, at $125! Now, however, denim is back to $298

Then, I finally got it! I found luggage for $125! With hands shaking---I clicked through the purchase process---and got it! It went through! I even got an email with a confirmation number, luggage is mine, mine,mine----for $125 About 10 minutes later, I just checked the online status and luggage was again out of stock!

I mean, all this went back and forth in the period of a few days! I don't get it! I mean, I can understand a sale item being out of stock (and I asked--Macy's doesn't give rainchecks), but when the availability an price varies by color several times a day----what gives? Either their inventory control is all screwed up, or they are playing games with prices, for what purpose I can't understand

Well, denim and luggage are now on their way----but cement is starting to look good, should I stalk that, too? I feel more like I'm sniping something on Ebay than buying from a website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:59 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Pricing games by the major retailers is a primary reason people abandon them and seek alternative online sources for items. I have little patience for such nonsense. Set a fair price, have it available, and I'll buy. Try to play games with me to get a few extra bucks out of me and I'm gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products