Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times

Advertisements

I recently moved; all but 5 boxes fit into my uncle's truck, so I UPS'ed these 5 boxes. Two of the 5 boxes were visibly crushed on one corner. Turns out several items were broken, and I had wrapped them very carefully and packed the boxes fully. I am really bummed out. I filled out claims online for the 2 boxes, and I still have the boxes and the broken items, but I have no proof of what their worth was. Do you think I will get any sort of money back, has anyone done this before? When I shipped the boxes I put down that each one was worth $50; the broken items' worth is about double that, but I would be happy to get just $50 per box, at least. One was a pretty Lenox beverage dispenser, I never thought in a million years it would get broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
I am former UPS.

You can try filing damage claims. Save all the packaging, contents, and boxes. Take photos of all those materials.

It is unlikely that they will honor your claim. If they even bother to reply and investigate, there's a 99% chance they will find you responsible for the damages due to impoper packing, substandard boxes, insufficient insulation around the contents.

About the only way UPS will honor a damage claim is if the package was shipped directly through a UPS customer counter, or was packed and shipped through a UPS franchise package store.

Sorry your stuff was wrecked. But don't feel alone, look at this website: United Package Smashers - The Truth about United Parcel Service and the Big, Brown Turd!

Old 09-14-2008, 02:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
P.S. When I ship stuff, I send it through the Post Office.....

Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I used to have to ship computer equipment via UPS. IIRC, the standard amount of minimum insurance was $100, so you may find your claim for $50 passes the legitimacy test and gets paid (if you didn't double box breakables, you may not), but be prepared to wait for a while and get a call from UPS and possible inspection of the boxes. I had a couple successful claims, but my stuff was shipped according to their specs, I opted for extra insurance regularly, and my packing was always verified at the counter until the clerks new me and how I packed equipment. I shipped a fair amount of equipment, and although almost all of it would arrive without visible damage, there was about 10% of the time that the electronics wouldn't work on arrival.

Electronics and glassware packing is best done with double boxes, three inches of filled space between inner and outer box, stuff in the inner box suitably padded. I found that 24" cubes and 18" cubes were less likely to get crushed, perhaps because it was obvious to the loaders that if they didn't fit one way, they couldn't be crammed in another way. They usually would end up being on the bottom of stacks, and the outer box dented in some, but the structure of the inner box was always fine. Corner crushing is normal shipping damage, and nothing breakable should ever be packed near a corner.

FWIW, I generally found that 3 day shipping was safer than ground shipping, and 2 day or faster was always perfect on arrival. YMMV

Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
Default Does anyone know if UPS reimburses at all?

Oh wow, are things really SO bad?

I've been doing research on the topic because the UPS guy who is responsible for my street doesn't give a damn about the parcels at all. My home security camera app has caught him flinging parcels at my porch several times. Sooner or later something IS going to be damaged. I just want to know if they will reimburse at all. In case you are curious, here is how he (man)handled my parcel the other day:

[url]https://alfred.camera/tv/8yfqfhGs16AD1[/url]

Trying not to buy from sellers who ship via UPS from now on...

Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherie_clayton View Post

I've been doing research on the topic because the UPS guy who is responsible for my street doesn't give a damn about the parcels at all. My home security camera app has caught him flinging parcels at my porch several times. Sooner or later something IS going to be damaged. I just want to know if they will reimburse at all. In case you are curious, here is how he (man)handled my parcel the other day:

https://alfred.camera/tv/8yfqfhGs16AD1

OfferPetesake. This is an easy one. If you are getting regular problems, send an actual letter with photos from your clip to UPS corporate. S--- flows downhill. One deliveryman does not make the company. Without feedback, employers are limited in their perceptions of how work is being done.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I recently moved; all but 5 boxes fit into my uncle's truck, so I UPS'ed these 5 boxes. Two of the 5 boxes were visibly crushed on one corner. Turns out several items were broken, and I had wrapped them very carefully and packed the boxes fully. I am really bummed out. I filled out claims online for the 2 boxes, and I still have the boxes and the broken items, but I have no proof of what their worth was. Do you think I will get any sort of money back, has anyone done this before? When I shipped the boxes I put down that each one was worth $50; the broken items' worth is about double that, but I would be happy to get just $50 per box, at least. One was a pretty Lenox beverage dispenser, I never thought in a million years it would get broken.
Had a box missing once, and for 3 years UPS required an adult to sign for delivery. Odd as we get nearly daily delivery. Claim was for $119 from an online retailer.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherie_clayton View Post

https://alfred.camera/tv/8yfqfhGs16AD1

Blue shirt, small white truck in the background? That's USPS delivering it and not UPS.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Blue shirt, small white truck in the background? That's USPS delivering it and not UPS.
Could also be FedEx. Too bad the OP didn't let the video run long enough to see the truck drive past so we could see the big logo on it. But, that video clearly shows it is Absolutely Not UPS.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Could also be FedEx. Too bad the OP didn't let the video run long enough to see the truck drive past so we could see the big logo on it. But, that video clearly shows it is Absolutely Not UPS.
Look closely and you can see it's a small USPS enclosed jeep (you'll see the stripes) and he walked to the passenger door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products