Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,331,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We have a regional chain of convenience stores on the east coast called Wawa. They are a huge chain now with thousands of stores and gas stations, but not publicly traded, still family owned. They give all their employees profit sharing and opportunities to grow. One of the gas attendants (it's NJ) told me they give them free soup and coffee when it's cold. Not surprisingly, I always have excellent service at Wawa. Being good for employees is good for the business is good for all of us.

Profit sharing to me seems like the perfect solution, but the 1% is not going to loosen their grip enough to share the wealth with those who help them create it, apparently, and Costcos and Wawas and few others remain the exception.
That ^ is exactly what I'm talking about! I never heard of WaWa but if I run across one I will make sure that I stop by and spend some money there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Maybe you should worry about your own speed and taxes and let the police and the IRS handle the hoodlums who don't comply.
I'm not worried about what other people do, but when someone posts false information (like sales tax being optional), I am going to correct their false statement.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But the real question is, who should be paying for the social service benefits of Walmart workers? Paying low wages is a decision that Walmart made on their own, no one forced them to do it, and since that was their decision, should I be responsible for subsidizing that?
How about those who made the decision to award welfare have to pay for it? Walmart didn't make the decision to give out welfare. If I decide to give the beggars on the corner a bunch of money, am I entitled to bill you for it?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How about those who made the decision to award welfare have to pay for it? Walmart didn't make the decision to give out welfare. If I decide to give the beggars on the corner a bunch of money, am I entitled to bill you for it?
Huh? The people we elected to office decide who should get welfare and how much they should get. I am surprised I have to tell you that. And as I said, Walmart made the decision to pay low wages, and they need to own that.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Huh? The people we elected to office decide who should get welfare and how much they should get. I am surprised I have to tell you that. And as I said, Walmart made the decision to pay low wages, and they need to own that.
I do know that. That's my point. The people we elected to office that decided who should get welfare are the ones who should have to pay for it.

Walmart had a job to be performed and they offered an amount they were willing to pay for it. The person had the choice to accept or not. If Walmart paid the agreed amount of money for the agreed amount of work then Walmart did own that.

If I need my lawn mowed and I am willing to pay $25 to have it mowed, a person has the choice to mow it for $25 or not. If they do, it's not my responsibility if they don't make enough to pay their bills.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I do know that. That's my point. The people we elected to office that decided who should get welfare are the ones who should have to pay for it.
Then by all means, send the bill to your congressional reps, but please let me know how that goes.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Then by all means, send the bill to your congressional reps, but please let me know how that goes.
Meanwhile, you let me know how it goes getting Walmart to reimburse the welfare.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Meanwhile, you let me know how it goes getting Walmart to reimburse the welfare.
I'm not delusional, they won't pay a penny and the right will continue defending them, I am a realist.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:00 PM

147 posts, read 268,924 times
Its pretty simple. Do you buy enough to make the 99 bucks worth it? Ive started watching their video section, and this alone is worth 9 bucks a month. Not just this, their pricing is usually BETTER than walmart....I compare all the time, and stuff I get on amazon is 8 bucks....go to walmart, identical item is 16(if it is in stock). And it is delivered to my door. Yes, I found one item I bought I overpaid....but for most, its a no brainer. Fees are higher on Ebay, so they are usually out....but very occasionally there is something I can save an extra dollar. I bought my Bravia on Prime(prices were at least 3400 and up, I found it for 2388 including ship....... and literally saved 1000 bucks, and it was delivered in 3 days to my door. I buy about 75 to 85 items a year.....and almost always I will pay the buck extra for the prime item to get it in 2 days vs being shipped from say....China? Not all, but most items it makes sense for me to shop with amazon. I just do a google search on the items, and almost always amazon is one of the top 2 in price(as in least expensive), and I get it shipped to me. My time is worth quite a bit.....so it also depends on how much you value your time. My time is worth at least 40 bucks and hour....if your time is 10.....and you have extra time, then maybe just going to the store is a better value? But, If I have to drive half an hour just to look? Forget it.....Amazon wins for me. And yes, the 99 bucks is a deal for me. It depends on your values and how much you shop.......plus time.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,779,807 times
Quote:
But the real question is, who should be paying for the social service benefits of Walmart workers? Paying low wages is a decision that Walmart made on their own, no one forced them to do it, and since that was their decision, should I be responsible for subsidizing that?
Actually Walmart pays higher wages that the majority of other chain stores. And big box stores, pay higher wages than mom and pop stores can afford to pay.

Actually Walmart and some other big box stores, pay higher wages than a lot of fancy named upscale department stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products