Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 PM

93 posts, read 84,464 times

Advertisements

First of all, I love Costco. I've been a member for almost 20 years. But...a couple of pet peeves:

Price Matching Their Online Items: I've had this happen a couple of times. I buy something on their site, then it goes on sale afterward. So I take the item to the store, and they will refund my purchase and then I can order it again at the lower price. That's all well and good. But they won't simply give you the difference and let you return home with the original item. That is SO inefficient on their part.

The original item is now used and can't go back into the inventory, and another item has to be shipped out. I realize that Costco would have a corporate account with the shipper, so a second shipping doesn't really cost them what it would you or I, but it's still a waste.

Self-Service Checkout: Loved it, but they discontinued them. For single people like me that never really fill up our cart, they were great to get through quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 PM

132 posts, read 107,987 times
I agree with you on both counts.

We've never had self check out in our stores. Sam's Club has an app where you can scan & pay for your items on the app with your credit card and never go through the checkout. I'm waiting for Costco to offer that. Even better than self checkout.

Supply smaller carts alongside their jumbo ones.

Offer two smaller pies/cakes instead of one that feeds 12+ people!

Have fries at all their snack bars. Farther store has them, hometown store doesn't.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 PM

93 posts, read 84,464 times
Those sound like good ideas.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,655,564 times
My super pet-peeve is that they did away with the Polish Dog and now have a hot dog with chillie and drink for $1.50. I will NOT eat a hot dog.

This is totally ruined my Costco-shopping date experience. #firstworldproblems

Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
My problems with Costco:
  • There aren't enough of them around here so they're always mobbed
  • The people who shop at Costco around here tend to be from other countries, and apparently those countries' cultures are rude and pushy when shopping
  • Costco is pricier than Sam's both for membership and for merchandise
  • Costco does not have as many fresh fruit/vegetable offerings as Sam's does, and those they do have are unreliable
  • Costco frequently stops selling an item out of the blue with no warning; it's unusual to see this at Sam's
  • Costco employees here have ranged from mediocre to rude and surly
  • The checkout lines are excruciating and there's no scan & go app like Sam's has

In a nutshell...Costco kind of sucks. I let my membership expire two years ago and haven't been back since.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My problems with Costco:
  • There aren't enough of them around here so they're always mobbed
  • The people who shop at Costco around here tend to be from other countries, and apparently those countries' cultures are rude and pushy when shopping
  • Costco is pricier than Sam's both for membership and for merchandise
  • Costco does not have as many fresh fruit/vegetable offerings as Sam's does, and those they do have are unreliable
  • Costco frequently stops selling an item out of the blue with no warning; it's unusual to see this at Sam's
  • Costco employees here have ranged from mediocre to rude and surly
  • The checkout lines are excruciating and there's no scan & go app like Sam's has

In a nutshell...Costco kind of sucks. I let my membership expire two years ago and haven't been back since.
We have had a very different experience here, though we are only 6 miles from Costco corporate headquarters which could affect it. We have 3 within 20 minutes, in Issaquah, Kirkland, and the newest in Redmond. Since that new one opened Issaquah is not nearly as crowded, but Redmond never has more than 2-3 people in line at each checkout, and we have never had to wait for gas, since there are 4 sets of 4 pumps, 2-side so 32 cars can fill at once. We gave up our Sam's membership when they quit carrying several of our favorite items, and because the nearest is 45 minutes away. All of our Costco employees have been friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The Redmond store customers are probably 50% from India, so they carry a lot of Indian foods we have never heard of, and reminds me of the one in Vancouver, B.C. They still have all the usual stuff, it's just a bigger store, well planned based on area demographics.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 PM

19,561 posts, read 9,570,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
I agree with you on both counts.

We've never had self check out in our stores. Sam's Club has an app where you can scan & pay for your items on the app with your credit card and never go through the checkout. I'm waiting for Costco to offer that. Even better than self checkout.

Supply smaller carts alongside their jumbo ones.

Offer two smaller pies/cakes instead of one that feeds 12+ people!

Have fries at all their snack bars. Farther store has them, hometown store doesn't.
Yes!!! I wish they would do that as well. Some of our local Walmarts have done that. I'm surprised I can't find them at Sam's Clubs though. Sam's used to have movie DVDs but since some people thought they could do a five fingered take away, us honest folks take the brunt of that. I thought they would have those theft devices attached or they could leave the cardboard pic of the movie and you take the paper to cashier, they scan, you pay and then pick up the item from their locked storage room.

Also wish they would provide salt and pepper packets. Mr C and I ofteN get their turkey provolone and like pepper on it. I just save a couple of pepper packets from a previous meal and when we stop at Costco and feel like splitting a sandwich, we'll have some pepper.

One more thing: when we're shopping, sometimes have the urge to use the rest room but it's difficult on a busy day to get between the shopping side to the bathroom side.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,591,402 times
My only complaint is that you can't get a regular cup of coffee, only a latte.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:21 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
I just hate going to Costco any more.

The parking lot is always full. We need a bigger store and more parking spaces but with land at a premium here, that's not going to happen.

The snack bar workers will never give me a berry sundae that is only half-full, even though I state specifically that's what I want. "Full" is way too much for me to eat and it's started melting and dripping down the sides of the cup before I even get to the car. Then I have a sloppy mess to clean up. It would be different if one could actually get a seat in the store. But no. Seems like everybody in this town has a Costco membership.

About half the time the optical department gets my prescription wrong. They blame the ophthalmologist.

The sweet spot for going to Costco is between 3 and 3:30 pm. Earlier or later than that and you're going to be caught in the Night of the Living Dead People Looking to Score Lots of Free Food Samples. They clog aisles to get a tiny bite of a tortilla.

It's just not worth the effort any more. I find myself shopping at Whole Foods more these days.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:22 AM

10,245 posts, read 6,338,778 times
Pet Peeve. Literally. When they stopped selling Clay Cat Litter. I don't like Scoop Litter. No choice? Other than that, I loved Costco. We moved to a different state where the closest Costco is about 40 miles away. Too far away. Now have BJ's. Costco was better but BJ's does sell Clay Cat Litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products