Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,545,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Well, I will say this in defense of B&N: I sit and read books I have no intention of purchasing at a WNY Barnes & Noble around 10 hours per week on average. I do purchase a coffee or tea from the in-store cafe every other visit or so. I've yet to do that at an Amazon warehouse. Given that you go often and yet are criticizing people for purchasing books there, you might well do something similar to what I do
This essentially stealing the book. It's allowed but B&N isn't the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 PM

15,160 posts, read 27,869,053 times
I just don't get how people justify that they go into a bookstore and sit for hours reading a book but not buy it (and think buying a beverage or a pastry makes it okay) - they have these things called Libraries!!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,497,223 times
Amazon. Backordered,shipping cost. Lost. Damaged. I ordered and it took 6 weeks to get the book. It got shipped from NJ,over to California,then to GA,then finally to PA. It got some great tours of the USA!
At barnes- book in stock,wait ten minutes, leave a happy customer.
I love published in print books.
I got a 50% off one book of my choice ( up to 30$) by writing to a publishing company about a typographical error. Sometimes the customer gets a thanks with a coupon

Old 12-07-2017, 06:50 PM

666 posts, read 515,108 times
Why do people see Amazon as some kind of brick and mortar killer? It's so bizarre. I remember how ages ago, I used to think that I didn't have to shop anywhere else outside of Amazon to get what I want. Now it's the opposite; I don't see what the big deal is anymore. I buy all my books everywhere else except Amazon now, especially indie places like Edward R. Hamilton and The Illustrated Press, Edward R. Hamilton, especially. That place is actually cheaper than Amazon!

As for why I would choose B and N over Amazon? That's easy. I love browsing the bargain books section (which have fun coffee table books) and getting copies of specialty magazines that are hard to find. The B and Ns in NYC have tons of great UK magazines in digital media and illustration, and you can't just pick up a copy of Imagine FX or Cosmopolitan UK at Amazon.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 391,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Well, I will say this in defense of B&N: I sit and read books I have no intention of purchasing at a WNY Barnes & Noble around 10 hours per week on average. I do purchase a coffee or tea from the in-store cafe every other visit or so. I've yet to do that at an Amazon warehouse. Given that you go often and yet are criticizing people for purchasing books there, you might well do something similar to what I do

It’s not like anyone spends time writing those silly book things, or has to pay bills and buy food from the sales or anything like that.

Thanks a lot (wow)

- from a published author, and on behalf of most of my peers. At least have the decency to read at a library. They get my books discounted but I still get paid. Most authors don’t get those giant advance checks either, in case you feel entitled because we’re all “stinking rich”

Old 12-07-2017, 06:56 PM

666 posts, read 515,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I purposely recently paid more to buy a book from Barnes & Noble because I wanted to help the chain to stay in business. It’s sad that Amazon is running so many brick and mortar companies (including malls) out of business.

Amazon is becoming a monopoly and the government should take a look at them.
They're also destroying indie designers and product makers but that's for a whole other thread.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:24 PM

42,002 posts, read 75,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Why would anyone chose Barnes and Noble over Amazon.com?

Why would you care? People like to do what they like to do.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 PM

15,556 posts, read 10,549,254 times
" Why would someone wait in line at Barnes and Noble to purchase a book when theres Amazon.com? "

Why sit around waiting for a book when you can just go get it?

Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,262,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Some people value the bookstore experience. They like to browse and make serendipitous discoveries of books they might not have found otherwise. They like to see and experience the books before they buy them.
I do all of the above that you mentioned. I ask BN workers for suggestions or help finding books. I read a little bit of the book in the store. But I end up buying the book at Amazon.com.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,262,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Why would someone wait in line at Barnes and Noble to purchase a book when theres Amazon.com? "

Why sit around waiting for a book when you can just go get it?
It's more convenient if the books are shipped to my home. Why carry all those books back home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products