Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM

307 posts, read 363,291 times

Advertisements

....does anybody buy groceries from Amazon? I believe Amazon has services called Prime Pantry where you can buy basically stuff in your kitchen pantry as the name suggests. Asides from that their's also AmazonFresh that allows you to buy fresh meat, frozen food, and produce and have it delivered to your house.

Has anybody strategized a way to get a full benefit from these services? Obviously the extra-smart folks believe that theirs a benefit. I suppose it's an interesting question to ask at CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 04:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Tried Prime Pantry a few times but having to pay the extra $6 is not worth it. I do it mostly with Prime and Add-ons. Tried Jet and they became a epic fail after Walmart purchased them and Walmart itself is consistently late.

Waiting on AmazonFresh to try it out as they will be using Whole Foods. With Wegmans opening more stores, I've found their prices and quality to be much better than Whole Foods. So will have to wait and see if they balance out.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
I used AmazonFresh years ago, but have since moved to InstaCart as well as home-delivery from one of my local grocery chains, as I find the selection of products to be more suited to my tastes. What I like about InstaCart is that I can shop from a variety of different stores. Also, I do not have a prime membership.

Now that Amazon bought Whole Foods, though, I wonder how this will impact InstaCart as WF is one of the stores they deliver from. I am wondering if Amazon will buy them too, or shut it down, or if IC will part ways with WF.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:58 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
I used Amazon Pantry several times for dry and canned goods. No big deal at all.

I have also tried Amazon Fresh last winter when my whole family had horrible bronchitis and didn't want to go food shopping. Everything came in great shape, well packaged, appropriately cold or not, eggs all unbroken, vegetables and fruits fresh.

I'd do it again for convenience reasons. I wouldn't do it regularly because I can get things usually a bit cheaper in person.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:10 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
I use Prime and Prime Pantry...to remove the $6 ship fee, buy 5 items listed in the Prime
Pantry...they have dozens of choices in each groc category.

When using PP, I always choose products to avoid the ship fee. I also buy more than one of many items to stock up. Some of the most cash-saving products are bulk-buy of toilet paper and paper towels...also coffee. If you like Starbucks but don't like paying $11 per bag, buy bulk...I get Sumatra for $8 bag when I buy bulk...ie 6 bags.

They have the price of item and price per ounce, pound etc., so you can choose the cheapest.

AmazonFresh not available yet for me but I'll try it if it comes my way. I save so much time, gas etc. by buying online. Prices are cheaper plus they are delivered TO MY DOOR free. No carrying of heavy items ie cat litter etc.

Love online shopping...plus, with PP, you get movies and tv shows free.

Prime Pantry costs around $99year....but it doesn't take long to offset that, with bulk purchases and especially watching free movies...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Tried Prime Pantry a few times but having to pay the extra $6 is not worth it. I do it mostly with Prime and Add-ons. Tried Jet and they became a epic fail after Walmart purchased them and Walmart itself is consistently late.

Waiting on AmazonFresh to try it out as they will be using Whole Foods. With Wegmans opening more stores, I've found their prices and quality to be much better than Whole Foods. So will have to wait and see if they balance out.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I used Amazon Pantry several times for dry and canned goods. No big deal at all.

I have also tried Amazon Fresh last winter when my whole family had horrible bronchitis and didn't want to go food shopping. Everything came in great shape, well packaged, appropriately cold or not, eggs all unbroken, vegetables and fruits fresh.

I'd do it again for convenience reasons. I wouldn't do it regularly because I can get things usually a bit cheaper in person.
Ok, I see. So your takeaway benefit was more of the convenience not necessarily saving money or time. cool.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I use Prime and Prime Pantry...to remove the $6 ship fee, buy 5 items listed in the Prime
Pantry...they have dozens of choices in each groc category.

When using PP, I always choose products to avoid the ship fee. I also buy more than one of many items to stock up. Some of the most cash-saving products are bulk-buy of toilet paper and paper towels...also coffee. If you like Starbucks but don't like paying $11 per bag, buy bulk...I get Sumatra for $8 bag when I buy bulk...ie 6 bags.

They have the price of item and price per ounce, pound etc., so you can choose the cheapest.

AmazonFresh not available yet for me but I'll try it if it comes my way. I save so much time, gas etc. by buying online. Prices are cheaper plus they are delivered TO MY DOOR free. No carrying of heavy items ie cat litter etc.

Love online shopping...plus, with PP, you get movies and tv shows free.

Prime Pantry costs around $99year....but it doesn't take long to offset that, with bulk purchases and especially watching free movies...

[/b]
greatblue How much do you tip the delivery guy?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
My friend lives in an outback area of Utah. Closes wallywart,is 35 minute drive. He uses Amazon pantry. He says...Convenient and necessary. Does that answer your inquiry? He also gets his meat/poultry from a near by farm. They deliver for $5. He makes sure to order enough to fill his garage freezer.
I laughed the other day as a Amazon Drop zone locker was setup right outside our local grocery. Guess they get a kick back from Amazon to use their walk space. I'm not home enough to wait on food packages. Nice idea for folks (shut ins).

Old 12-16-2017, 08:48 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I used Amazon Prime Now for delivery from Sprouts on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It was awesome to not have to face the crowds at the store and it worked wonderfully. I put my order in while I was at work, and scheduled it for later that afternoon when I knew I'd be home. They arrived right in the middle of the two hour window I had selected. Spouts has great sales every week and I got the sale prices on the things that I ordered that were in that week's flyer.

Quality of the produce and meats was excellent, definitely the same level that I would have selected myself. Cold and frozen foods were packed in reflective bubble wrap bags to keep everything cold. The shopper texted me about a couple of items that were not in stock, suggesting comparable substitutions that worked well for me.

I would absolutely use this service again, although I would wait for another time where I had a large order in order to get free delivery (I think it was $60 minimum for free delivery).

I haven't done prime pantry because when I need something, I need something and haven't been able to coordinate things well enough to fill up a Prime Pantry box. But there are definitely some good savings there if you are more organized than me!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:50 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
While I use Amazon Prime for some non perishable food items that are less expensive than locally, I too am not organized enough to fill up a Prime Pantry box either. I usually go over the amount or are way under and then have to go back and find more or delete some things. It's too much effort and a lot of their items are the same price as my local store.

Once they take over Whole foods though I may give Prime Fresh a try though.

My local Shoprite offers home delivery for 10 bucks. I put my order in and they assign me a personal shopper who calls me and offers substitutions on out of stock items, and asks me specifically what size meats I'd like, or if I'd like ripe banana's or semi green and or I can even add on more items that I forgot which always happens. I use the coupons and get the flyer ad price's just like I'd get when shopping in person. They also deliver the same day which has been a lifesaver sometimes. The delivery people are nice and always offer to carry my bags right to my kitchen which is up a flight of stairs. I hate lugging in groceries as my knees are bad so it's well worth the 10 buck tip that I give them. For years I've said I'd gladly pay someone to do my food shopping for me, and now I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products