Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:42 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Yeah, I use it to ferment dosa batter (sort of a sourdough-version of a crepe). I had a spot in the old house where I could always get it to ferment more or less-ish, but since we moved 4 years ago could never find anywhere in the new place where it would ferment right. It either didn't ferment at all or it turned into pink-streaked goop.

With total control over the temp in the IP, it comes out perfectly. Every. Single. Time.

There are 2 different temp ranges to ferment at, the "regular" yogurt setting and the "low" setting (I forget what they call it). I think the temp ranges are in the manual. If not I'll try to find that and post it for you.

Oh what the heck. I had it bookmarked anyway, so here it is - temps and times for various IP Ultra settings. Most will be the same for the Duo as well. Where the Duo and the IP have the same functionality it will be the same - its just the Ultra has some extra things it can do that the Duo can't do at all.

Low Yogurt: 86F to 93F

Regular Yogurt: 97F to 109F

Sterilize: 160F to 180F

Keep Warm function: 63 - 78°C (145 ~ 172°F)

Slow Cook function:

Low: 82-87.8°C / 180-190°F
Med: 87.8-93°C / 190-200°F
High: 93-99°C /200-210°F

Sauté function:

Low: 135 -150°C (275 -302°F)
Med: 160 -176°C (320 -349°F)
High: 175 - 210°C (347-410°F)
I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to reply on this. I'll have to see about the kraut. I'm thinking the keep warm function is the one.

Ideally 65-72° F and I live in FL so that's generally not a problem except when my AC gets cranking too high, which does happen at times. When it's too hot, I can just ferment less time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 PM

689 posts, read 973,897 times
First let me say I'm an avid slow cooker enthusiast. BUT I got my IP about a month ago and wow - it's fantastic! Of course there's still foods that do better in the oven but, honestly, most of the recipes I've enjoyed making in the slow cooker are as good if not better in the IP - not to mention how quickly things come together.

It takes a short period of time to get up the courage to use it if you're not experienced with pressure cooking, which I wasn't. I watched lots of videos and googled questions until I was convinced I wouldn't blow up the house or burn my hand off

There's a beginners Facebook group, specifically, for this and I learned a ton of things there including some awesome recipes.

Instant Pot Beginner Recipes and Tips https://www.facebook.com/groups/286039511904840/

It's a closed group so you have to join, but well worth it. Be prepared though, your news feed will be packed with member comments and info, so you may have to tone down the notifications sometimes...

Old 02-06-2018, 06:36 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to reply on this. I'll have to see about the kraut. I'm thinking the keep warm function is the one.

Ideally 65-72° F and I live in FL so that's generally not a problem except when my AC gets cranking too high, which does happen at times. When it's too hot, I can just ferment less time.
Whoops, the IP won't go that low. The Keep Warm function runs 63 to 78 CENTIGRADE - that is 145F to 172F. The IP will vary between that range - a 27F variation. It works by cycling - when it drops below 145F it will turn the heat on, then cut it off again when it hits 172F. So it will cycle on and off sort of like a sine wave.

The lowest temp possible on the IP is on the low yogurt setting - 86F to 93F, only a 7 degree variation on that setting. Would that still be too hot? It's about 12F above the range you quoted for sauerkraut.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 AM

841 posts, read 553,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I have a very basic pressure cooker (for stove top use) + a very basic crock pot, both of which take up a lot of cupboard space in my small kitchen. So I was contemplating the Instant Pot for its more up to date features and less cupboard space! From what I'm reading in this thread those that have one love them so I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on getting one.

Thanks everyone for all your input - you've all been very helpful
I do have an Instant Pot (6 qt duo model), but I still use my slow cooker as well. I do not use the slow cooker function on the IP as I have not heard any good things about it. I use my slow cooker for things with a thick liquid (like chicken in condensed soup) or for things I am afraid might burn. I use the IP much more often than my slow cooker. IP stays in my kitchen, slow cooker is stored elsewhere.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 AM

631 posts, read 399,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Is shipping something from a US store an option?
There are a few stores that do ship via a border broker but it involves an additional fee for their services. When you add those fees and shipping costs in Canadian Dollars, its just too costly. For example $1.00Cdn is only worth $0.80 US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
First let me say I'm an avid slow cooker enthusiast. BUT I got my IP about a month ago and wow - it's fantastic! Of course there's still foods that do better in the oven but, honestly, most of the recipes I've enjoyed making in the slow cooker are as good if not better in the IP - not to mention how quickly things come together.

It takes a short period of time to get up the courage to use it if you're not experienced with pressure cooking, which I wasn't. I watched lots of videos and googled questions until I was convinced I wouldn't blow up the house or burn my hand off

There's a beginners Facebook group, specifically, for this and I learned a ton of things there including some awesome recipes.

Instant Pot Beginner Recipes and Tips https://www.facebook.com/groups/286039511904840/

It's a closed group so you have to join, but well worth it. Be prepared though, your news feed will be packed with member comments and info, so you may have to tone down the notifications sometimes...
I love my slow cooker too and use it weekly. I recently bought a slow cooker recipe book with some great stuff in there, now I'm unsure how to modify those recipes to the IP. Maybe I'll join that group you posted and get some info there. Thanks for the link!

Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 AM

631 posts, read 399,806 times
I finally went out last night and splurged on a 6Qt Duo . Even though I've used a pressure cooker before I'm a bit intimidated by it - the instructions seem endless. I'll go and heat up some water in it shortly and see how it goes.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I need to figure out how to adapt my slow cooker recipes to the IP in terms of cooking times

Old 02-06-2018, 11:18 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
I finally went out last night and splurged on a 6Qt Duo . Even though I've used a pressure cooker before I'm a bit intimidated by it - the instructions seem endless. I'll go and heat up some water in it shortly and see how it goes.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I need to figure out how to adapt my slow cooker recipes to the IP in terms of cooking times
There are some great resources out there on the web for new IP users. I joined a couple of Facebook groups, but if you're not into Facebook, there are a couple of good websites that give you detailed instructions like hippressure.com and thisoldgal.com.

Since I'm still fairly new to using it, I tend to start earlier in case I need to add more time after I've let it release naturally. The keep warm function is great if it is done before you are ready to serve.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:

First water, then try making a few hardboiled eggs. After that, you should be good to go.

Did yours come with a couple of plastic utensils? One of them has a hole in the handle that's exactly the right size and shape to release the pressure valve, so you don't have to put your hand on the valve. Also, you can get a little pvc elbow at the hardware store that fits over the valve perfectly, and will direct the steam away from the underside of your cabinets.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Whoops, the IP won't go that low. The Keep Warm function runs 63 to 78 CENTIGRADE - that is 145F to 172F. The IP will vary between that range - a 27F variation. It works by cycling - when it drops below 145F it will turn the heat on, then cut it off again when it hits 172F. So it will cycle on and off sort of like a sine wave.

The lowest temp possible on the IP is on the low yogurt setting - 86F to 93F, only a 7 degree variation on that setting. Would that still be too hot? It's about 12F above the range you quoted for sauerkraut.
Ahhh I see that now where the Warm snuck in Centigrade LOL.

Well, I'm reading some lady's site who's supposed to be a fermenting ANd IP expert so we'll see what she has to say.

thanks!

Old 02-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Oh now I'm scared.

The pressure's ON!

Just kidding.

Just make sure you know to do the silicone seal correctly (push it down under the little metal wing things, put the little drip cup on the back (which I always forget), make sure you turn the spigot thingy to SEALING not VENTING....and throw in the water and do whatever they say, I forget.

If you stare at the face as it goes to pressure and stuff you'll see what each step is and how long it takes.

If you hear some noises or some steam comes out a little in the beginning, it's normal.

You can throw in a $2.00 block of frozen spinach or some other stuff that you don't mind "wasting" instead of a real recipe.

Or some pasta and sauce just to take a test run.

Up by the spigot is a little chrome button that will come UP when it's at presssure and go DOWN when it's "safe" to open. Under Natural Release conditions.

If you're wanting Quick Release, you turn the spigot to VENTING using a long spoon or something. That's REALLY the only time you may mess up and need to be careful so you don't burn yourself with hot steam.

Hedgehog_mom is right, I always move it away from my cabinets when releasing. Dangling a towel doesn't really work! So that PVC is a great suggestion.

DONT PUT YOUR FACE THERE! LOL.

It won't LET you open it if it's unsafe.

If the spigot falls off when carrying it around or you bump it or knock it off somehow WHEN IT'S COLD AND NOT IN USE, just place it back on.

It will appear to be a little "loose" and scary. That's normal. So it can operate right.

There are some people who throw bacon in with greens but for me, that's just a throwaway flavoring since the texture would be yukky so that's the type of thing that is individual preference, IMO.

Don't forget youtube.

You can see recipes in action and what the food looks like in case it's not how YOU would want it.

If I were testing the slow cook, I'd start with something like marinara with maybe a small-ish hunk of pork since I make A LOT of it. See how you feel it reduces or doesn't reduce to your liking. Are the onions right? Is it still watery? Stuff like that.

AND I'd use a thermometer so I'd know the temp and not waste 8 hours then getting mad LOL. (even though you're not supposed to open slow cookers when cooking but you CAN see in there with the glass lid. So maybe use the thermometer you can stick in the meat standing up while cooking o you can see it instead of the one with the long wire that you use in an oven.

You can always compensate by cranking up the SAUTE function to get a reduction, too.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-06-2018 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: WHEN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products