Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times

Advertisements

My friend, wife, and I went to a local bar a few days ago. We had been there once before and liked it. We ordered one drink apiece for a total of $40 including tip. I signed the slip, thinking nothing of it. This morning I get an overdraft warning from my bank. I was shocked to discover the bar had charged me for two different transactions in two different amounts totaling $1101.28!

It wasn't identity theft; the charges came directly from the bar itself. I have been double charged by a bar before and the charge went away on its own, but I have never heard of such a horrendous overcharge from a bar. I know they often overcharge customers, both because strangers can easily put their drinks on another party's tab and because shady bars can overcharge drunk customers who don't remember afterward, especially since receipts are often not itemized. Fortunately I have my receipt and can get it straightened out promptly.

I use my debit/credit card for most financial transactions but I am second guessing this strategy due to multiple issues with identity theft, credit card skimming, and being overcharged or double charged. It made sense to use cards because of credit card protection that was offered, but cash has protection at the outset by bypassing electronic thieves and computer glitches completely. Maybe it's time to go back to good old cash for as many transactions as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 AM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
So, what is the bar’s explanation, Scooby? I seems highly unlikely that one other customer had a tab of $1061.28, so the old “whoops, we swiped your card twice by mistake” excuse isn’t believable. Did they really think you might not notice?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, what is the bar’s explanation, Scooby? I seems highly unlikely that one other customer had a tab of $1061.28, so the old “whoops, we swiped your card twice by mistake” excuse isn’t believable. Did they really think you might not notice?
I have no idea, especially since the transactions weren't for the same amount, so it's not like it was a computer double charge. I can't figure out what happened.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
If you're getting an overdraft notice from your bank, this is a debit card. While I'm sure this will be fixed, debit cards providers are NOT required to offer the same legal protections as credit cards--meaning disputing charges.

Depends on your bank, but until the bar fixes this you may not have the funds available.

I wouldn't worry so much now about how this happened. I'd be on the phone with the bar trying to get it fixed.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
If you're getting an overdraft notice from your bank, this is a debit card. While I'm sure this will be fixed, debit cards providers are NOT required to offer the same legal protections as credit cards--meaning disputing charges.

Depends on your bank, but until the bar fixes this you may not have the funds available.

I wouldn't worry so much now about how this happened. I'd be on the phone with the bar trying to get it fixed.
The bank is Chase and they asked me to call the bar, that doesn't open for a couple of hours, and explain what they did. Chase has been wonderful about protecting transactions on my debit card before. They told me if the bar gives me trouble they will open a dispute case for me.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
It could be a mistake or it could be malicious. The way it works in my area is I order my first drink, they ask if I want to run a tab, I give them my card, they swipe it to get pre-auth and give it back. When I order another drink they give it to me and just ask for last name on the card (esp. at the bar, a table server usually remembers) and away I go. When I close out they ask if I want to put it on my card, I say yes, they run it and bring me receipt to sign.

It could be the big boss was covering a social outing for a dozen employees, had a tab running, went to close out, and bartender *thought* they remembered his name (as you) and ran it on the wrong card. Or maybe they asked, his last name was same as yours, and they ran it on the wrong card. Boss is buzzed, it's company money, so he signs without even looking at it.

Or someone heard you ordering drinks or closing out, then ordered more drinks after you left and said to put it on their tab, using your name. Since they were spending your money they went First Class, ordered expensive bottles of wine or generously bought everyone at the bar a round.

Or a bartender/server was running a scam, ran drinks on your card whenever someone paid them in cash, and kept the cash. The books balance for the bar at the end of the night. Maybe they think the complaint won't get back, or the bar will just write it off, or they can't know/prove who ran the card, or they are just dumb. Crooks are like that.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:20 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
But - but - but - debit cards are SO MUCH BETTER than credit cards or cash!

Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
But - but - but - debit cards are SO MUCH BETTER than credit cards or cash!

I hope that is sarcasm. Debit cards are terrible.

OP...stay on top of it and get it resolved as quickly as possible.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:46 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
Ya know, I had something like that happen to me at the concession stand last year at Tropicana Field. Somehow they charged me $461.87 for a pretzel and a bottle of water. now I realize, MLB stadium prices ARE INFLATED but that was ridiculous! I called the bank and had it removed.

(On a side note, nothing about the RAYS is worth that much anyway)

What I was told is that the concession stands are staffed with volunteers who man the joint as a fundraiser, earning either a flat rate or a percentage of sales towards their organization. Someone likely did not hit the ENTER button on the register until about the 5th or 6th customer, causing MY card to pay for all of the other patron's items. (And they likely got their's free too as a result !)

Mine ended up free as well. The bank said that they deal with this type of thing "All of the time. "

I learned to use CASH ONLY at the stadium.

Which I kind of prefer anyway.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:06 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
I guess lesson learned (or should be) - READ the tab before signing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products