Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times

Advertisements

We have a mall that stays busy. It has stores that are one of the highest volume stores year over year for the particular chains. I prefer climate controlled malls and that is where I do almost all of my clothes shopping along with visiting the other various stores. Our weather here is all over the map. In the summer it is way to hot and humid and in the winter is is way to cold to be walking around the outdoor shopping centers....I hate them for the most part.

I don't really think that people necessarily love these newer outdoor mall type shopping centers. I think it is more along the lines that they are so much cheaper for developers to build so they keep popping up everywhere and stores don't have much choice but to locate in them. Our mall stays at almost 100% leased space so it definitely is not having trouble finding tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:13 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
We have a mall that stays busy. It has stores that are one of the highest volume stores year over year for the particular chains. I prefer climate controlled malls and that is where I do almost all of my clothes shopping along with visiting the other various stores. Our weather here is all over the map. In the summer it is way to hot and humid and in the winter is is way to cold to be walking around the outdoor shopping centers....I hate them for the most part.

I don't really think that people necessarily love these newer outdoor mall type shopping centers. I think it is more along the lines that they are so much cheaper for developers to build so they keep popping up everywhere and stores don't have much choice but to locate in them. Our mall stays at almost 100% leased space so it definitely is not having trouble finding tenants.
I agree about climate controlled malls. I think the final nail in the coffin for malls was when they started converting them to outdoor malls. That concept might work in California or Arizona, but anywhere else it is not going to provide a pleasant experience to keep people shopping there.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:42 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
first Mall was the Providence Arcade in RI build in 1828. It is a really neat place.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/rhod...ndoor-mall-ri/

Old 10-02-2018, 12:46 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Did you see the giant Merry Christmas sign at about 10:08 in the video?

Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Edmonson Village opened in 1947.
I grabbed the first place that came to mind; even in Sacramento, there was an earlier "village" mall built around 1948-49. (Still there.) The four big plaza malls built in 1952-3, about 1955 and 1960 were all rebuilt into enclosed malls in the 1970s. A fifth never was and declined to minimal occupancy, then giant box stores, then (I think) was torn down. Another giant mall was built about 1970 as an enclosed wonderland; the quainte village mall across the street built at the same time has never really been successful.

(My mother was property manager for the owner of three of them; I was a mall rat before there were malls to rat in. )

I don't see enclosing a mall as a big step in the development, but maybe.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:42 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
The first mall I ever visited was this one - Mid Island Plaza. It opened in 1956. The video is from the 1963. The mall was built in 1956.

I went there around the time this video was made. I loved the carousel!

The Mid Island Shopping Plaza, is in Hicksville NY. It was built on the same potato fields that were used to build America's first suburb, Levittown NY. It was the third post war mall in the US. It was not enclosed until sometime in the 1980s.

Many locals that did not have extreme weather were not first built enclosed. Our weather, winter's and summers, are no where near as extreme as Minnesota in winter, and some southern climates in summer. I think there was some kind of covering - similar to those found at elementary school bus stops during that time.

One of my first dates was at the "Twin Theater" built later in the mall. We saw "Jaws". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah3NVknsMs8

Last edited by sheena12; 10-02-2018 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Living in Las Vegas without indoor malls is hell. There is one, and it's older and in a neighborhood I've been told isn't the best. There are a few gallerias on the Strip, but who wants to be ripped off?

I hate outdoor malls. I shop more and more online because i don't feel like shopping in 100 plus degree weather.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
If there was ever a place that needed a shopping mall, it's Minnesota where the weather is pretty gruesome year round. I have been to Southdale many times over the years.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:24 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
It’s so sad to think that so many small to medium sized towns lured developers to build malls in an effort to increase tax revenue. That might have worked in the 70s, but now people do a lot of their shopping online, and those small malls can’t compete. The towns are, in the end, left with dead Main Streets and dead malls.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
If I'm at a mall I'm probably waiting outside at a bus stop. For shopping I'd rather bike or drive directly to that store and park close to the door. Parking some distance out in a vast parking lot lost its appeal some decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products