Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a good pasta machine. Can anyone make any recommendations.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Forget it. We tried them a few years back. Even if they worked, finding semolina wheat is a problem. It doesn't much matter, because the only type I've seen that work are the manual stainless steel presses and cutters.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
harry, thank you very much for your response. I have been concerned about cleaning the different parts, and if I am spending $200+ I want it to make my life easier.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,273,142 times
I just bought a manual one from Bed, Bath & Beyond for about $29 but haven't opened it yet. It's a lot heavier than I thought it was going to be.

I had recently purchased a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer which was relatively inexpensive and wondered if I could use that at least to make spaghetti? The pasta attachement is very expensive and other than a couple of dies for various other types of pasta and a cleaning tool it appears that the system and the dies I have already in the above might actually work for that purpose.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Ever try to knead bread dough by hand without using flour or oil to keep it from sticking? Now imagine all that sticky dough clogging up the dies and interior of your pasta making machine. Now imagine trying to clean that. Now imagine me cursing when I did that job.

The commercial production of pasta uses high capacity powerful machines with extrusion dies. The little home machines try to work in a similar fashion, but are far more work and produce an inferior product. If you get the pasta to come out, it is either fuzzy and falls apart, or too wet and sticky like glue, or has some other defect.

Use a bread machine to make a dough ball without yeast, flatten it and cut it with the manual cutter and you'll spend a lot less time and money and end up with a better product, easier control over the process, and faster cleanup. After a while you may go back to pre-packaged pasta. There is somewhat of a taste difference, but the effort involved vs buying a sleeve of angel hair makes the packaged product purchase a no-brainer. Linguini or lasagna, well maybe there can be a toss-up there, since they are coarser and easier to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products