Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:02 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've had numerous transactions at a supermarket self checkout before I realized that apple fritters are NOT a type of donut! I came out 40 cents each time. However, that was more than undone with my "higher level of impulse shopping" back then, so THEY came out ahead
Apple fritters have always been classified as a donut every place I've ever been to, that includes both the grocery store and donut shops. Strange that some places don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 04:23 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
People complain now about the stores and employees and say things like "they need to close now" but then what? Lots of unemployed people if that happens. Then people will complain that it's their taxes that have to pay for those people's food stamps and medical care. Sounds to me like the employees of those stores can't win for losing. All they want is to keep their jobs, earn a decent paycheck, pay their bills and take care of their families. Between the big corporations and the customers they are caught between a rock and a hard place. And it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
They are trying to create stores with no employees, where customers have to do everything themselves. The employees will be gone either way. Easy profits for the corporations. But there is just one problem for them, it's not going to work. Most people don't want to shop in stores like that. Which is why this thread is here, so they need to close, the sooner the better.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 10-31-2018 at 04:35 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 08:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They are trying to create stores with no employees, where customers have to do everything themselves. The employees will be gone either way. Easy profits for the corporations. But there is just one problem for them, it's not going to work. Most people don't want to shop in stores like that. Which is why this thread is here, so they need to close, the sooner the better.

Sounds to me like people won't have a whole lot of choices. If they want to do their own shopping they will, eventually, accept the changes. If not, online shopping will take over. Either way it's the ones now employed who are going to suffer for it. If online shopping continues to grow it will, at least, be good news for UPS and FedEx and maybe even new delivery companies will start up. There will still be jobs for some.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:21 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like people won't have a whole lot of choices. If they want to do their own shopping they will, eventually, accept the changes. If not, online shopping will take over. Either way it's the ones now employed who are going to suffer for it. If online shopping continues to grow it will, at least, be good news for UPS and FedEx and maybe even new delivery companies will start up. There will still be jobs for some.
I'm already trying to figure out how to buy the few things online, that I'm not already buying online. By the time somebody starts a good grocery delivery service near me, I will be shopping 100% online.

And yes, online shopping provides a lot of jobs. From people who pack and ship the items to the people who deliver them. Online shopping is convenient and creates jobs. We don't need stores, and we certainly don't need stores with no customer service.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
All the places around here, the self checkout attendant goes around and opens the bags as customers leave. I bring my own bags, so I always have to flatten the store's bags back up to fit my own bags in the bagging area.
That is a good thing. At WalMart and Harris Teeter they aren't doing that here.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I like the convenience of self-checkout and use it all the time when possible (there's still stores nearby that don't offer them) especially because it allows me to avoid dealing with the cashiers..who often don't come across especially competent. On the other hand, I do wonder what those people are meant to do with themselves if those types of jobs disappear.
Get better jobs, go into store management, stock the shelves. They will be okay.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:13 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Get better jobs, go into store management, stock the shelves. They will be okay.

They'll find a way to automate the stocking as well. Automated warehouses are already a thing and honestly given how often I find expired stuff on shelves..it'd probably be more beneficial for shoppers than self-checkout.

And let's be real here, you don't need that many managers and a lot of those folks don't have the skill set to do that kind of job or many other more sophisticated jobs. And everything basic and straight forward is in the process of being automated basically.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm already trying to figure out how to buy the few things online, that I'm not already buying online. By the time somebody starts a good grocery delivery service near me, I will be shopping 100% online.

And yes, online shopping provides a lot of jobs. From people who pack and ship the items to the people who deliver them. Online shopping is convenient and creates jobs. We don't need stores, and we certainly don't need stores with no customer service.

I guess I'm kind of wishy washy about buying online. I have, in the past, and been pleased enough but I really like actually seeing, touching and choosing my 'stuff' myself. At this time I think we only have one store that does delivery but Walmart is ramping up for that too. It won't be Walmart employees doing it though. They will have a third party contracted for that. I expect more and more stores to get in on it soon enough.

Considering the long lines at the return counter I'm wondering how easy/hard it's going to be for people to return items if they take away the employees. It's a PITA when you have to return online orders through the mail, etc..

Old 11-01-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post

I live in a small town so jobs are pretty much limited and mostly service type jobs. Not necessarily "better jobs". Walmart is cutting their management and stocking staffs. Walmart is THE largest employer in the entire valley of 45,000 people and I think most of them have worked there at one time or another.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Considering the long lines at the return counter I'm wondering how easy/hard it's going to be for people to return items if they take away the employees. It's a PITA when you have to return online orders through the mail, etc..
It would basically be the same as self checkout. The customer would scan the receipt, and then scan the item. There could even be a button on the screen thst you select to walk yoh through the steps. Then the money is either put back on the card uses, thr customer is prompted to scan a gift card, or money is given back just like if you were owed change. Cashiers aren't doing anything difficult or magical when processing a return. It can easily be done without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products