Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 21,862 times

Advertisements

Hi, Anyone with experience buying online from Ikea?
Will be staying at chapel Hill. Is the shipping worth the savings on the low-priced furniture?

Need to buy some kids furniture from them, any other places i can look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Definitely not recommended because of shipping cost and cost to return if defective.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
I have to agree. Best bet is to drive up there with a minivan and bring it back (virtually everything packs flat). Shipping may double the cost of many items.

Alternatively, there's some fantastic deals on furniture on Craigslist if you are willing to do alot of looking around.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 AM

467 posts, read 1,774,639 times
agree w/ everyone else -- shipping is too ridiculous.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
If you are purchasing several items at once, the shipping may cover all of them. You might want to call (you can order via catalog over the phone, as well) and ask what the shipping will run, and then it is up to you to decide whether it is worth it to you.

I purchased a sofa from Ikea about five years ago when I was still in FL. I also ordered a few other things and the shipping remained the same as for just the sofa alone. For me, it still came out a better deal than purchasing a similar sofa from a local store. I still have the sofa and it's in great shape - I'm definitely happy with that minor investment!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Lots of commerical truck deliveries require you to unload your stuff from a trailer.

Damage in commercial freight is common.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,976 times
x2 for make the drive to the nearest one...PLUS unless you've actually seen and touched the stuff you are looking at, you wont know if it feels like cheap crap...which a lot of IKEA stuff does....being from CA, we had IKEA everywhere and I was always very selective about what I did and did not buy there. I'd never EVER buy a sofa there, for example.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
Ikea shipping is insane. The only way to make buying from Ikea worthwhile is to drive up there in a van. My wife and I have done that twice and both times it was well worth it.

BTW, they're opening an Ikea in Charlotte next summer if you can wait that long.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Default Ikea Charlotte?

Ok, I heard Ikea was suppose to open in Charlotte Spring/ Summer 08. But I don't see any mention of it on their website. Has anyone heard the open date?

OP, sometimes I've thought about going up to Ikea w/ orders from folks down here, renting a small uhaul truck, and charging a small gas/moving fee. I bet if someone did that they could easily make back the rental and gas cost.

While I am a craigslist shopper and also a used furniture store shopper, Ikea is great for inexpensive linens and toy storage for kids and such.

Edit:Ooops I see someone said Charlotte Ikea is suppose to open next summer. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Ok, I heard Ikea was suppose to open in Charlotte Spring/ Summer 08. But I don't see any mention of it on their website. Has anyone heard the open date?

OP, sometimes I've thought about going up to Ikea w/ orders from folks down here, renting a small uhaul truck, and charging a small gas/moving fee. I bet if someone did that they could easily make back the rental and gas cost.

While I am a craigslist shopper and also a used furniture store shopper, Ikea is great for inexpensive linens and toy storage for kids and such.

Edit:Ooops I see someone said Charlotte Ikea is suppose to open next summer. Thanks!
My parents live right down the road from the location and they can't wait for it to open - so that my wife and I visit more often! We're looking forward to it. Sure, it's 2 hours away, but you don't need to deal with DC-area traffic to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products