Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2023, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 17,566 times

Advertisements

They are making it harder and harder to obtain incandescent bulbs. It's no big deal to those who don't mind spectral, fluorescent lighting, but my eyes, old eyes, can't stand them. Anyway.... If you want to get the Philips 100w halogens (or GE), you can still get them on ebay. I just bought a dozen which should see me off. Some day they'll be gone so it's seems to be now or never. My local hardware store sold out. LEDs only now. How I hate that light!

However... while they are making it difficult it may also turn out that you'll always be able to go online to China vendors to get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 02:06 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkatie View Post
They are making it harder and harder to obtain incandescent bulbs. It's no big deal to those who don't mind spectral, fluorescent lighting, but my eyes, old eyes, can't stand them. Anyway.... If you want to get the Philips 100w halogens (or GE), you can still get them on ebay. I just bought a dozen which should see me off. Some day they'll be gone so it's seems to be now or never. My local hardware store sold out. LEDs only now. How I hate that light!

However... while they are making it difficult it may also turn out that you'll always be able to go online to China vendors to get them.
Or you could actually do ten minutes of research and figure out that LEDs come in every type of color rendering index temperature possible in a variety of sizes and shapes. I use 2700K Sylvania 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs all over my house for many years with zero issues, and the light quality is nearly identical to an incandescent soft white. They are also 90% more efficient instead of having an incandescent bulb waste 90% of the total wattage as heat instead of available illumination.

Old 04-09-2023, 02:44 PM

A blue LED (light emitting diode) is used to excite the very phosphors that are use in the common fluorescent lamp (tube). Color temperatures do not address the spectral nature of the light. Any color temperature you can design for a LED, you can design for a tube fluorescent lamp. LED lamps are insanely efficient. I was talking about the quality of the light. LED configurations often include a 'quality' number which relates to it.

Some people don't notice the difference, some do. I am one of them. To me, spectral lighting is flat and annoying. There are inspection systems that particularly use incandescent lighting.

LEDs bulbs require integrated power supplies which use various elements and manufacturing materials. That may or may not be an issue with an environmentalist. I have nothing against you using an LED lamp.

As a radio operator I note that LED lights produce a lot of electrical noise. For cabin owners, turn off the LED lights if you're trying to receive WCCO in the cold white north.

Old 04-09-2023, 03:07 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I am on 12 volts and have been using LEDs-since it’s availability and there is no noise period.
However AC powered LEDs may have a sound issue.
12 volt DC power is far more efficient .
I have LED.style bulbs replacing 12 volt DC fluorescent bulbs an no noise.
40 years ago or more I converted my living spaces to 12 volt battery power and only rarely need to replaced them .
If your rich ignore me.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:46 AM

You are correct. It's not the actual diode that make the electrical noise, it's the power supply. Most electronic devices today use high frequency switchers. They can sing. If you have a dc supply then you have a near native voltage and regulation artifacts go away. Man, how far up there are you? We see honda generators used at cabins but I've never seen someone deck one out with 12v wiring. How many batteries do you use and what type? Are the solar charged? Cabin or RV? Is it only lighting or do you have 12v appliances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products