Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 01:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

I had a Sunbeam Oskar for many years that served me well until the nylon gears in its drive failed. Parts are no longer available and I'm a bit leery of buying a used one so I'm curious, anyone found a nice small processor? I have a Cuisinart I picked up at the Goodwill that's great for chopping and making dough but I don't have the top with feed tube for chopping and what I really want a small unit for is mainly grating things like hard cheeses and horseradish root.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 01:38 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
We’ve used Cuisinart food processors over the years (currently have both 3 cup and 8 cup capacity models) and they have “stood the test of time” for us - very reliable and durable.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
We’ve used Cuisinart food processors over the years (currently have both 3 cup and 8 cup capacity models) and they have “stood the test of time” for us - very reliable and durable.

I actually have a Cuisinart DLC-10S which I believe is 7 cups as well as a Cuisinart 'Mini-Prep' which I believe is 3 cups. The small one has no grating disc and I'd like something about that size with a grating disc. The Oskar was just perfect for this when doing small quantities, I'm surprised it was discontinued.

I suppose if I can't find something small I can get the top with feed tube for the 7 cup as I have the grating disc, just hoping to find something a bit smaller.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-25-2023, 03:11 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
If you just have a small amount of food to slice dice chop grate or whatever, just use the old fashioned hand tools. Paring knife, chef's knife, grater, cutting board. The amount of cleanup time isn't that much less on a little processor than a big one. We went down that road some years ago and decided that unless you're doing heavy prep work many times a week for big meals for lots of people, the cleanup time isn't worth it. A couple knives clean up awful fast.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
If you just have a small amount of food to slice dice chop grate or whatever, just use the old fashioned hand tools. Paring knife, chef's knife, grater, cutting board. The amount of cleanup time isn't that much less on a little processor than a big one. We went down that road some years ago and decided that unless you're doing heavy prep work many times a week for big meals for lots of people, the cleanup time isn't worth it. A couple knives clean up awful fast.

That's what I thought but grating horseradish root on a fine microplane was really slow going, I tried chopping it in the processor but I'd like to get it finer, I figure the more surface area exposed the hotter it'll be and I'm trying to make a substitute for the Atomic brand my local market no longer carries. Absolutely the best commercially prepared horseradish I've ever had, a necessity in shrimp country.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:10 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Yeah... of course there are always certain exceptions where it won't work adequately, but I do a lot with a good sharp chef's knife and an easy-clean cutting board. And there's nothing to disassemble and reassemble, the shapes are simple - so cleanup is fast and easy.

I can vouch for this knife sharpener that I just keep on the counter - just draw the blade through the rough side a few times and then the same on the fine side, and in less than a minute, your knife is sharp again.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rch_asin_title

Old 05-25-2023, 08:25 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's what I thought but grating horseradish root on a fine microplane was really slow going, I tried chopping it in the processor but I'd like to get it finer, I figure the more surface area exposed the hotter it'll be and I'm trying to make a substitute for the Atomic brand my local market no longer carries. Absolutely the best commercially prepared horseradish I've ever had, a necessity in shrimp country.
Oh heck. Look online.

https://truenaturaltaste.com/atomic-horseradish/

You are incorrect about surface area, although it is a good guess. It is more about freshness and when vinegar is added. Trying to make it if you don't grow it is an iffy process.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:00 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Oh heck. Look online.

You are incorrect about surface area, although it is a good guess. It is more about freshness and when vinegar is added. Trying to make it if you don't grow it is an iffy process.
Also sold at Amazon (of course). And email the company who makes it (Morehouse) asking where to buy it locally. https://www.facebook.com/AtomicHorseradish/

Old 05-26-2023, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,583 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We have a big Cuisinart, but for smaller work we use the attachment on our Stick Blender, also Cuisinart. It's a perfect size for most of our needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Imm...95474471&psc=1

Old 05-26-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Oh heck. Look online.

I did, and ~ $13.00 with shipping for a small jar of horseradish tells me making my own is a better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products