Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Walmart or Target??
Walmart 35 33.33%
Target 70 66.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Target seems to attract a more civil customer base. When walking about Walmart you can witness the cycle of evolution, like you see on those Human Evolution Sequence posters. The full range of human existance is in there, from upper-middle class suburbanites down to the thugs scraping their knuckles on the ground as they walk. I see more of the latter in a typical Walmart, especially around the holidays. Kmart was the worst, they should have thrown a circus tent over that place.
As someone who works at one of those mentioned companies, I know exactly what you mean.
I was just telling my mom today, "Working at x makes me really hate people." I've seen some pretty outrageous and gross things where I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Target is closer to my home so I visit there more often. It's a nice clean store with a decent selection of goods. I went there a couple of months ago to buy a kitchen trash container and they didn't have any. Off to Wal-Mart.

If the shopping list is: milk, lipstick, camo duct tape, shovel, it's got to be the Mart.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM

89 posts, read 247,591 times
Can't believe people are still buying into that email. I received it years ago, immediately checked Snopes and discovered that it was, not surprisingly, false. Still, every once in a while I'll receive another copy of it.

Anyway, it's Target for me. I do wish they had more Super Targets and a better grocery selection. The prices are a little higher than Wal-Mart, but I find the quality, especially in children's clothing and shoes, to be much better and well worth the extra money. The customer service is also MUCH better at Target. I'm never more than the third person in line when checking out, and they always call additional checkers to the front lanes when needed. I also never have trouble finding someone to ask for assistance.

And in Tennessee, there was a big story a few years ago about a majority of Wal-Mart's workers being on our state-/tax-funded insurance program, TennCare. Wal-Mart offered their workers few or no benefits, and in the end the taxpayers of the state were paying for their workers' healthcare. This is how Wal-Mart can offer cheaper prices, and though you pay less on the front end, you end up paying more on the back end.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
This one is a no-brainer. Target easily wins the head - to - head competition. Their stores are nicer, they are competitively priced, and the clientele is a step above. WalMart has some better prices on groceries, but not enough to deal with their parking lot and the other shoppers.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Target's lines are shorter, so i don't have to wait as long. Store is cleaner with quality of items above Walmart. However, the female shoppers at my local Walmart dress sexier or less i should say. I don't think many of them know what a bra is.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
When I moved, I moved to a place practically across the street from Wal-Mart. Target is much further away. If Target were closer, I'd go there instead. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target...I find them all to be interchangeable.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
This one is a no-brainer. Target easily wins the head - to - head competition. Their stores are nicer, they are competitively priced, and the clientele is a step above. WalMart has some better prices on groceries, but not enough to deal with their parking lot and the other shoppers.
You are 100% correct!!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMeantime View Post
Can't believe people are still buying into that email. I received it years ago, immediately checked Snopes and discovered that it was, not surprisingly, false. Still, every once in a while I'll receive another copy of it.

Anyway, it's Target for me. I do wish they had more Super Targets and a better grocery selection. The prices are a little higher than Wal-Mart, but I find the quality, especially in children's clothing and shoes, to be much better and well worth the extra money. The customer service is also MUCH better at Target. I'm never more than the third person in line when checking out, and they always call additional checkers to the front lanes when needed. I also never have trouble finding someone to ask for assistance.

And in Tennessee, there was a big story a few years ago about a majority of Wal-Mart's workers being on our state-/tax-funded insurance program, TennCare. Wal-Mart offered their workers few or no benefits, and in the end the taxpayers of the state were paying for their workers' healthcare. This is how Wal-Mart can offer cheaper prices, and though you pay less on the front end, you end up paying more on the back end.
Our Target seems to get a lot of business on the weekend so if there is a rush of people during the week....you will have to wait in line. I have waited in line for a good 10 minutes at a Target. Normally I wouldn't have minded but I was on my lunch break and only wanted to buy a few items.
I also noticed their lanes for the checkout are narrower and the belt is shorter.

::nods with emboldened part of your post::
It's no different here in AR. I know lots of workers at Wal-Mart who are on food stamps.

I mostly shop at Wal-Mart because of the convenience and they tend to have the things I want/need. I like my toilet paper to be made of 100% recycle paper, Wal-Mart has it and Target doesn't.
If there was a store around that was locally owned, payed it's workers more money, etc...I would do it because I know shopping locally helps the local economy more than shopping at chain stores.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:34 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times
My wife would say Target with exclamation-- but I couldn't give a fudge as long as the store had what I wanted. A guy thing, I guess.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
I am not a fan of Walmart and we don't have a Target. So we do our shopping at K Mart. But, we went to get gardening soil and needed 12 bags at 40lbs each. Cheapest at K Mart was $1.52 each and thought WOW that is cheap.

But went to Wal Mart to compare and it was $1.00 each. Well we got our soil at Wal Mart and I might have to change my mind some what on some items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products