Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:38 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times

Advertisements

I bought a Whirlpool dishwasher from Sears about 2-3 years ago, it broke on me today. This get's me very angry, dishwashers are supposed to last more than 2-3 YEARS! I know that some peoples dishwashers last at least 15-20 years.

So, is there any dishwashers that still make quality products, I hear that GE appliances are very good and it will probably be my next purcahse. I am through with Whirlpool products which unfortunetely include almost every single brand on the market except GE. Whirlpool products include Maytag, Amama, Kenmore, Kitchen Aid, and many more.

Also, I am not the biggest deal finder, where do you find the best prices on home appliances, I am usually a loyal Sears customer, but I have also looked at Best Buy and Lowe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I don't have an answer for you. Start reading reviews and reports on products before you buy another appliance. I bought a new dishwasher four years ago. I had my heart set on a Miele but the whole deal crashed and burned. It was stupid stuff to do with the supplier, installer, etc. I ended up with a Dacor.

BIG MISTAKE! No one buy a Dacor appliance, ever, trust me. You know that little silverware basket that comes inside the dishwasher? Mine started falling apart after I'd had the beast for just over a year. The plastic was becoming brittle and chunks were falling off! They didn't even answer my mail. The cost of replacing that little basket was $100. Give me a break. The rubbery coating has torn off of the racks in six spots and it's rusting, the glides on the upper rack broke and fell out; the rack only rolls out half way now.

JUST SAY NO TO DACOR!!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
I had a horrible experience with a Kenmore vacuum . Fortunately, I was able to return it and the salesman said, "Oh, everybody brings those back. They're terrible."

From now on, I Google the product and find a huge host of information and real people's experiences before I buy it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-19-2008, 08:10 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I bought a Whirlpool dishwasher from Sears about 2-3 years ago, it broke on me today. This get's me very angry, dishwashers are supposed to last more than 2-3 YEARS! I know that some peoples dishwashers last at least 15-20 years.

So, is there any dishwashers that still make quality products, I hear that GE appliances are very good and it will probably be my next purcahse. I am through with Whirlpool products which unfortunetely include almost every single brand on the market except GE. Whirlpool products include Maytag, Amama, Kenmore, Kitchen Aid, and many more.

Also, I am not the biggest deal finder, where do you find the best prices on home appliances, I am usually a loyal Sears customer, but I have also looked at Best Buy and Lowe's.
Anifani (who posts a lot on the House thread) had a new GE DW, barely 3 months out of warranty, and the electronic control pad went out. No to GE IMO. I have a Jennaire which I hate but it came with the house...noisy as an airport tarmac! I want it to break sometime so I can replace it. We've had good luck with Kenmores in the past...I esp. liked the ones with the food grinder so no one needs to prewash the dishes by hand and none of the backwash gets redeposited back!

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 PM

124 posts, read 470,382 times
Every brand breaks. Can't you get it repaired? Maybe things lasted for 25 years because people were'nt so quick to throw it out and buy a new one every time there's a problem. It could be a simple fix will keep it going for many, many more years.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
If you look at the cost of a dishwasher today verus twnty years ago you might be surprised to see that they are no higher or ven cheaper. Most appliances are like this. That means that they have to also be cheaper to produce and noit necessarily more durable. It is common for those with elctronic controls to be chaeper to by a new one than replace the controlmodule when you consider that labor is so much higher.Mine has been good for eight years but i will replace it when it goes out.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Every brand breaks. Can't you get it repaired? Maybe things lasted for 25 years because people were'nt so quick to throw it out and buy a new one every time there's a problem. It could be a simple fix will keep it going for many, many more years.
Agree 100%. Depending on the problem, you may be able to fix it yourself.
In fact, I ordered a replacement part and fixed a problem on my Kenmore dishwasher just last week.

To mix up the pot a little more, I've had horrible experiences with my last two microwave ovens - both were GE, and both died after less than 2 years. Tried to fix them myself, down to testing the HV cap and diode, before resorting to buy a new one. Anyway, as has been mentioned, GE isn't necessarily a sure shot either.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:51 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Agree 100%. Depending on the problem, you may be able to fix it yourself.
In fact, I ordered a replacement part and fixed a problem on my Kenmore dishwasher just last week.

To mix up the pot a little more, I've had horrible experiences with my last two microwave ovens - both were GE, and both died after less than 2 years. Tried to fix them myself, down to testing the HV cap and diode, before resorting to buy a new one. Anyway, as has been mentioned, GE isn't necessarily a sure shot either.
Well I have had the same dishwasher for some 45 yrs now and she still works fine (( Ha , Ha). I tried to by one of those comercial ones when we first got married , she said at that time over her "dead body"! she is still alive and well and I must say I have never had a complaint about how the dishes were cleaned . So In closing, If your looking for a good diswasher i would have to recomend the one called "The 2 handed manual model" Any color they all work fine if you don't yell at them.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 AM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times
Thank you for your posts, like many of you said, "All the brands break" it's sad that these companies can't make a quality dishwasher anymore.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:08 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
We've had nightmares with GE. They came with the house and if we weren't selling I would dump them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products