Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM

157 posts, read 381,192 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to launch a store on Etsy.com. I will be using PayPal for payment. Can those who have sold items on Ebay, etc., tell me if you have had any problems with payers using PayPal and what they were.
Would you suggest opening a PayPal account at a bank other than the one you normally bank at?
Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,039 times
I've never had any problems with payment or getting money transferred into my bank account from PayPal. The one thing I will caution you on is to make sure all of your personal information is correct. There could be problems transferring payment if there is any discrepancy with your info.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I've used paypal for the past 6 or 7 years. I've never had a problem with it. If you do have issues along the way (non payment from buyers, requests for refunds, etc) paypal is usually good at helping resolve those issues.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
I've sold on Ebay off and on for a few years and haven't had any problems using paypal but I have heard others have. I'm not sure if the forums exist any more but Ebay used to have some forums and there used to be a lot of q and a on there and I think that would help you out. Paypal fees aren't cheap either when added to any other fees you might already pay.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
I don't sell but I do buy and I am always happy to see the PayPal option for payment.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
I REFUSE to use paypal as a buyer. They want to get their tendrils into my checking account, and account they have NO business or need having access to.

They also require that they keep my credit card information in their system, and if I remove a CC from paypal, they will not allow that card to ever be used again for a pp transactions, also proving they do retain the information even when I told them to delete it.

Paypal cannot and should not be trusted.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I started using Paypal the first month it opened...probably 8-9 years ago. I love it, not only for eBay and etsy, but also for any online purchases. A seller who uses Paypal is more trustworthy, in my eyes, than one who doesnt. In fact, when I find something I want to buy, I'll check around the internet until I can find a merchant who takes Paypal.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Asheville Native, I've deleted credit cards from my Paypal account and then added them back later -- with no problem at all.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I started using Paypal the first month it opened...probably 8-9 years ago. I love it, not only for eBay and etsy, but also for any online purchases. A seller who uses Paypal is more trustworthy, in my eyes, than one who doesnt. In fact, when I find something I want to buy, I'll check around the internet until I can find a merchant who takes Paypal.
Have you verified your PP account by allowing them to make two small deposits into your checking account?

Now can you give me any rational reason taht PP wants to link their tendrils into your checking account if you always pay with a CC, and have had no issues with any CC purchase in the past.

I have asked PP to clarify that, and all they can come up with is a bunch of pure bullcrap about how it allows them to provide better service or some such nonsense.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Have you verified your PP account by allowing them to make two small deposits into your checking account?

Yes, I did that when I first opened my account.

I think the reason Paypal wants to attach a checking account is because it makes your checking account the default for payment purposes (so it doesnt have to pay credit card fees). I actually have to change the payment method on every transaction or it takes the $$$ out of my checking account. That's somewhat irritating but it's worth the inconvenience.

I love Paypal because, if a seller doesnt ship (or, as happened to me once, if the seller ships to the wrong address), I dont have to fight with a credit card company to get a refund. Too, if the merchandise differs significantly from what was described, I get a refund. I've had to file claims only twice (due to non-delivery) in all these years and the process was painless.

If I were a seller, I might not be so crazy about Paypal, as I've heard stories about unethical buyers switching merchandise and then filing a claim. But more and more buyers, like myself, are looking for the Paypal logo on websites because of the protection it offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products