Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I'm pretty sure they only reason why they ask for your CVS card is because the card allows you to receive a store discount (it essentially works like a coupon). You don't have to have one to shop there and you can still pay in cash if you want.

I don't think it's that big of a deal?
Yes, it entitles you to the weekly discounts, but it also tracks you. It is a marketing device to send you circulars/coupons and may put you in a telemarketing pool. I do use them, but fill out a wrong address and put my cell #.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
At CVS, you can tell them you forgot your card, and then ask them to swipe the generic card for you at the register. You get the discounted price, but your purchase doesn't count toward any accumulated discount you'd get there.

Or, you could shop at Walgreen's or Rite Aid. No cards required to get sale prices.

I hate the stupid cards, too. I'm always forgetting them, and then the cashiers shoot daggers at you when you ask them to key in your phone number. Pffft.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Why don't you just shop in Walgreen's instead?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,324 times
All I can say if I was that poor cashier you flipped out on I'd be calling security!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
1) it's very likely that the cashier has to ask you if you have your card. please don't flip out on the employee for doing his or her job. just like a supermarket employee asking you if you want paper or plastic, there are certain things a cashier must ask every customer. I get aggravated when asked if I want the product of the week, but I just say no and move on

2) yes, the CVS card has saved me some cash. they have a lot of BOGO Free sales that are only valid if you have the card. not all stores allow employees to scan a "general" card as explained by Ohiogirl. the store I usually go to has stopped doing this and I watched one customer get into an argument w/ the cashier for not putting the card in and angrily leave his purchase behind. don't rely on these general cards too much.

I prefer the cards over clipping coupons. whenever I go to Walgreens late in the week (or even on a Tuesday/Wednesday), I have to search through the flyers to find one w/ all the coupons intact. I find that people will collect a ton of flyers, rip out the good ones, and just toss the flyer back. the good coupons are usually all gone by the end of the week and the stores only get a finite number of these to begin w/ so if you can't shop on a Sunday or Monday, you're SOL. w/ the cards, you don't need to worry about this.

3) I believe CVS has a program where for every prescription you fill and use your card for, you get a certain amount of cash back. i think it's $2/Rx but I'm not 100% if this is true or still the case now

Last edited by eevee; 04-09-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 PM

214 posts, read 560,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
With Kaimini's input, I'll stay on course. Besides, even if I get my CVS card, they're STILL going to irritate me everytime, with their question: Do you have your CVS card? And save me from getting dizzy everytime I go into one of these stores with the dual labels on everything: this price with a card, this price without a card.

It's bad enough with the potential tracking of the government of my using the Internet. I know everything I post on this site can potentially be tracked and investigated. Enough is enough!
Whats your problem? You seem so paranoid and edgy, worried about the goverment tracking your internet use and all.

Anyway

Those people at CVS asking you if you have your card are doing there job, and it also helps you save money if an item is on sale.

Lighten up.

You shouldnt be getting dizzy because a CVS Clerk asked you if you had your CVS card and if your that bent out of shape about it and apparently worried about the goverment tracking your internet usage, perhaps you need to talk to a shrink.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,678 times
I have no problem showing my CVS card. It's on my keychain with several others. Sometimes I can get a discount on one or two items, but it never amounts to anything major. There are much better discounts or BOGO deals at other stores. I figure every penny counts, though, so it's not a big deal to give the clerk the CVS card.

The funny thing about CVS, are their email coupons. They are so time-intensive, that they expire in a day or two. Sorry, I'm not going to rush to a CVS to save a few cents on some web-only coupon. Make it so I have a week, maybe, then I'll think about it. I just routinely delete the CVS offers.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,141,675 times
Before they ask me-I tell them please use the store card.

Basically there are too many cards to carry around.

& I also dislike my purchases being tracked by Big Brother.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:57 AM

214 posts, read 560,206 times
Usually the only items I ever buy at CVS are Condoms and soda. I havent recieved any coupons in the mail for either one. I wish I would though. I now buy my Condoms and Soda at Target because its cheaper.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
For me, I think it is an insidious start to something more nefarious.... They do keep track of what you buy from grocery stores and drugstores.... at first it may seem benign as they try to "market" you these things but I figure it won't be long before insurance industries buy rights to this type of information... they may increase rates base on what you eat, what drugs you take, etc etc and base their policy around your actual lifestyle.... I am sure insurance companies would love to monitor what you do and right policies where they have less exposure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products