Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times

Advertisements

I posted this in a separate thread so as not to get lost on my recent car search discussion.

Beware craigslist postings for a Dr. Julie Thompson (gainesville) who contends to be imminently deployed to Afghanistan and needs a quick sale, will have her car shipped to you before she leaves as it's across the country. Sounded more plausible because of the military thing though akward.

In my excessive research I noticed she had pinched the very same photos from an ebay dealer listing. Here's what a further search showed -

Is this a SCAM??? (scroll down for her name) Apparently she's pulled this all over the country with different cars, and now has a report with the FBI as of today.

So, no Fusion. Will take your advice and stick with the Rover afterall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
A friend found something similiar last summer with some Seadoo's. She actually called me to ask what kind ours were so she could compare them. The ad looked odd to me as did the guys responses. I ended up googling and found multiple listings for the same pwc's. The guy had told her they were in Florida but the picture showed them in Arizonia at an outdoor storage facility. I noticed the stuff in the background and went from there to figure out where the pic was taken. This guy told her to wire the money via a certain way in order to "protect" her and that she would have the titles and all but the titles were locked up in the wooden crate WITH the pwc's IN Florida and he was in another state. Same thing about the delivery. He could arrange the delivery to make it hassle free and very affordable. The price on the pwc's was too low as well.

Sadly, there is not much one can do to catch these scam artists other than to not buy from them and insist on seeing the item in person before any money changes hands.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I posted this in a separate thread so as not to get lost on my recent car search discussion.

Beware craigslist postings for a Dr. Julie Thompson (gainesville) who contends to be imminently deployed to Afghanistan and needs a quick sale, will have her car shipped to you before she leaves as it's across the country. Sounded more plausible because of the military thing though akward.

In my excessive research I noticed she had pinched the very same photos from an ebay dealer listing. Here's what a further search showed -

Is this a SCAM??? (scroll down for her name) Apparently she's pulled this all over the country with different cars, and now has a report with the FBI as of today.

So, no Fusion. Will take your advice and stick with the Rover afterall.
Those scams are a dime a dozen on Craigslist.

If the price for the vehicle is too good to be true, and there is no phone number listed, it's a scam.

I'm always amused by how these scammers will post cars on the Omaha Craigslist - complete with pictures that have palm trees in the background - and claim it's a local sale.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
These crooks have infested Craigslist. However, they are very easy to spot. No phone number, want the car to be shipped by Ebay. They require payment by Western Union or Moneygram. Anyone that would fall for this is a total moron.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Full of red flags. It amazes how many people could fall for this junk. Buyer beware.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:22 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Send them a note that you have a friend in the area
and wants to stop by to look at it

Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Sadly, there's almost more of these people around CL than honest ones, all you can do is really avoid it, flag the ad and move on.

...Or get hold of their e-mail and let the harassment commence!

Beware though, I see a lot of people here say look out for ads without phone numbers, but be advised, I've seen plenty scams with phone numbers too.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Are you kidding me, i sell on ebay and buy, does not sound like something ebay would do. I know some who have bought on ebay, and they had to pay immediately, but in this case, they were able to inspect the car, and test drive it, unlike this case which spells Scam to me all the way around. This reaps red flag warning, i would definitely stay away from this one. A scam is a scam with phone number's or without them. And Ebay has nothing to do with the shipping of the car, with the sale yes, not the shipping. If something sounds to good to be true, your huch is usually right.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Are you kidding me, i sell on ebay and buy, does not sound like something ebay would do. I know some who have bought on ebay, and they had to pay immediately, but in this case, they were able to inspect the car, and test drive it, unlike this case which spells Scam to me all the way around. This reaps red flag warning, i would definitely stay away from this one. A scam is a scam with phone number's or without them. And Ebay has nothing to do with the shipping of the car, with the sale yes, not the shipping. If something sounds to good to be true, your huch is usually right.
Here is a sample conversation with a scammer trying to sell a $30,000 BMW. Read from the bottom up. You will see where Ebay comes up....

Thank you, but I have contacted Ebay and they told me they have no such program. They told me it is a flat out scam. I am no longer interested.

Toyo

--- On Wed, 9/24/08, Robert M. Henderson <robert.b.henderson@gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: I still want to buy the Bmw 750. I have $30,000 in cash ready to escrow if necessary
To: toyoproxo@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 7:09 AM

Hi there again,
Being in a dgt training mission we are not allowed to leave the base until 20th of October , think you know that if you served before.
Thats why I insist to use ebay for this deal ,because i can't do the deal in person.
My phone number is (406) 662-0137 ,call me if you need more details.
Here is how it works if you have never used eBay vehicle purchase protection program.
You send me your full name and your shipping address so I can initiate the transaction on eBay.eBay contacts you with further details regarding the payment
and shipping process.You submit the payment to eBay, eBay confirms the payment and asks me to release the shipment.I ship the car which should be at your
door within the next 5 business days.You have a 7 days inspection period before you confirm the deal and eBay forwards the payment to me or you cancel the
deal and you get your money back and return the vehicle free of charge.
Basically ebay holds your money safe until you confirm that the car is what you have expected and you want to buy it. It is not a sight unseen deal.
On the other hand I can ship the car knowing ebay has your money and you wont dissapear with my car.We are both covered.
Sorry for the long emails I have tried to touch all bases.

Thank you,
Robert M. Henderson , TSgt, USAF
373rd TRS/Det. 11
DSN 271-5793

toyo proxo wrote:
I do not understand what you mean? I am a powerseller on Ebay. That is how I make my living. Ebay does not take payments for anything other than auction sales. They certainly are not an escrow service like you a describing. Are you talking about Paypal by chance? They take payments and are owned by Ebay. If you want to run an private auction on Ebay for it, I will still have to pay you directly. I am 100% positive on this. I still want the vehicle, just confused on how you want to do it. If you insist on shipping it and not doing it in person, we can use escrow.com. I have used them before and they are 100% legitimate.

thank you,

Toyo

--- On Tue, 9/23/08, Robert M. Henderson <robert.b.henderson@gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: RE : 2007 BMW 750Li -MONACO/BROWN - DVD CONVENIENCE LUX SEAT - $30000
To: toyoproxo@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 6:20 PM

Hi there again,
Being in a dgt training mission we are not allowed to leave the base until 20th of October , think you know that if you served before.
Thats why I insist to use ebay for this deal and not send the money directly to me,because i can't do the deal in person. The car is located in Helena,
Montana at a local shipping company, that work with DAS,and you should receive the car at your home address,you don't need to picked up from a DAS terminal.
If you want to come and pick up the car,i need the ebay confirmation that the payment has made for keep you the car until 20th of October ,when i will finish
my training mission ,if not i will try to find another client,sorry about this and hope that you can understand me.
Please let me know your decision for i can know what i need to do with my car.
Thank you,
373rd TRS/Det. 11
DSN 271-5793

toyo proxo wrote:
Not a problem, I have the full amount and will pay you in cash immediately. Obviously, given the low price and warnings on craigslist, I will have to do this transaction in person with you.. Let me know where to meet you and I will fly out immediatly.

toyo

--- On Sun, 9/21/08, Robert M. Henderson <robert.b.henderson@gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: RE : 2007 BMW 750Li -MONACO/BROWN - DVD CONVENIENCE LUX SEAT - $30000
To:
Date: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 9:13 AM

Sorry for the late response but I work in the US Air Force and it's very hard for me to reply faster. I wanted to let you know that the car is still available, i had a buyer but his loan did not get approved. If you are still interested please let me know asap, here is a link with more photos: http://www.robert-m-henderson.i8.com/My_Car/ (broken link) At this time the car is in Helena, Montana with me and we can use the e Bay Vehicle Purchase Protection service to handle this deal if you're not able to come pick this up. Let me know if you have any questions, for some reasons your previous email did not load on my screen.

Thank you,
373rd TRS/Det. 11
DSN 271-5793

Old 02-05-2010, 02:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
It's NOT an eBay thing. They're lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products