Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:40 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times

Advertisements

but has anyone noticed when grocery shopping or at target etc. they are giving you more bags then the carts these days can hold? I literally was given 9 bags today while checking out with 1 item in each bag??? 3 bags with 2 items each and 2 bags with about 5 or 6 small items in each. This cannot be good for us, as we must be paying for it somehow......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
It's insane! I always try to get in line where there's not a bagger. Love how they try to throw the Eye-roast in there with the soap & Gilette razors, then the Pork Loin in with hairspray, too (just happened last Sunday.) I did intercept and try to explain & show him, though, but he was oblivious.

I politely request to "help" or bag our own items altogether because the poor kids and cashiers are not even remotely trained. Duh, cans of spaghetti sauce on the bottom, please!! If you make a suggestion around here, it's as if you're from another planet. They do have their standards set in place :<(
(The "Oh well, who cares" attitude so prevalent.)

Used my own tote bag when I was alone; nice, easy out to bag myself when that store had baggers at every check-out.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Speak up - you have control over this not the bag person. Yes, it is wasteful and totally unnecessary. And to make matters worse - they don't care. I either try to bag things myself or tell the bag person to fill up the bag even if they resist.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 AM

373 posts, read 1,853,125 times
I go to the natural store and my bags break open because they've stuffed them so full. Then I go to Albertson's and they put hardly anything a in a bag and double bag them all. I can't win!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 AM

Well, I usually try to bag myself, or politely explain what can go where (meaning add more stuff). But this gal was grabbing 1 item, stuffing then flinging the bags towards the end of the bagging table so fast. lol! Until I hailed a "whoa" timeout! lol. The line backed up, but everyone on line who chimed in agreed this was a bit ridiculous.

I know what you mean about too little or too much in a bag. Been there done that. lol.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I'm not sure about other places, but in CA the baggers who work in grocery stores go to bagging school. I have never had any complaints about the way my items were bagged until I moved out of state. In the state I moved to (and since have moved from) they would never put wine into a special brown bag to protect it from the other items. They had no idea about not putting your loaf of bread under a bunch of canned goods. The thing that really irked me (I never said anything though, because I didn't want to be rude) was that even after I had finished paying and was ready to leave, they were STILL bagging my stuff! I wasn't used to that. I've never had to wait for my groceries to be bagged. It's usually the other way around - the groceries are bagged and I'm finishing up the payment transaction.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
...there's a bagging school?!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 AM

OMG bagging school, wow! I have heard of those bagging contests, but bagging school, I will have to politely mention that down here 1 day. Ha, who would have thought bagging school. Or maybe open up a bagging school. Yes, I have a PHD in bagging, hee hee.

I remember in England they had no bags. And the bags they did have you had to pay for. Only learned it cause I helped myself to some bags and started bagging, lol! Now apparently my friends say you can get complimentary bags.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:02 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
No, bagging school isn't like going to college or anything. It's part of the training you get when you work for a grocery store. I have a good friend who is the manager of a Vons/Pavillion and he tells me about this stuff.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No, bagging school isn't like going to college or anything. It's part of the training you get when you work for a grocery store. I have a good friend who is the manager of a Vons/Pavillion and he tells me about this stuff.
I know I was just being silly. But it is a great thing, most should follow this training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products