Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 06:17 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,256 times

Advertisements

Hi -

My Rowenta of 8 or 9 years stopped working the day before a suitcase-packing trip...

Don't want to spend much -- can someone recommend a decent no-frills
steam iron? Stores near me are Target, WalMart, Sears, BedBath&Beyond....Ace Hardware, Lowe's and Home Depot and all major dept stores like Macy's, Kohl's, JCPenney. Don't even know if the Lowe's and HD sell them but thought I'd throw them in because someone might say they have good stuff.

I don't iron a lot but of course when you need one you need one. I often say a steam iron is a girl's best friend because it can "stretch" those pant rises or blouses when you need a little more room!

Thanks much for all input. Don't have time or patience right now to wade thru epinions and such web locales....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
The no-frills irons have never worked for me; they just don't get hot enough. If you don't want to get another Rowenta, which is what I also use, maybe a steamer. I think Oreck makes one and they are not usually too expensive. Also, check Amazon and look at the reviews.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 AM

23 posts, read 105,628 times
Panasonic just came out with a high tech one.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
I have a nice Tefal that I've had for about 10 years. I don't use it often either but it is a wonderful iron....3 different types of steam on it, it's not too heavy, glides easily and never sticks, (the bottom is white and gray, called 'ultraglide'), gets hot fast, has a shut-off on it if you don't use it for a few mintues--green and red light on it..... However, it probably cost @ $80.00 at the time, but trust me, it's the last iron I'll ever buy and I'm just in my 50's. I'm sorry, I don't recall where I bought it.....maybe Target, Wally or Macy's....

See if Kohl's has any good buys...I bought my big steamer there when they had a good sale.......lots of Mother's Day sales this weekend and Kohl's had some great % off coupons, one is still good but one expired yesterday......

Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have very bad luck with irons, and have probably had a dozen or so. I keep getting more and more expensive ones thinking they will be better, but they're not. The best iron I have used lately is my DILs super cheapy which looks like the irons in hotels. Next time, I'm going to Walmart and getting a $10. iron.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,256 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. For now the iron seems to be working again though not super hot. I think a cheapie may be in my future!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have very bad luck with irons, and have probably had a dozen or so. I keep getting more and more expensive ones thinking they will be better, but they're not. The best iron I have used lately is my DILs super cheapy which looks like the irons in hotels. Next time, I'm going to Walmart and getting a $10. iron.
One of the things that I notice with hotel irons is that they don't weigh a lot......that's a plus in my book....

Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I actually like to iron and touch up my clothes on a regular basis. Through the years, I've found that a cheaper one works just as well as the more expensive ones. The fabrics made today are relatively easy to iron....not like the old wrinkly cotton stuff that you have to spend lots of steam time with. I buy a new one every couple of years now at WalMart or even one of the Dollar General type stores. Too many frills makes them too heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products