Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:24 AM

10 posts, read 63,150 times

Advertisements

I decided to post this thread after reading several attacks on Shreveport. I find it humerous that many of the shreveport-bashing diologues take place from someone claiming to love this area. We should all have pride in the area that we work, live, shop, send our kids to school, etc... All I ever see on this site about the Shreveport area to someone asking about moving to this area is such like-- "Shreveport is where rapes, shooting, thefts, etc. happen but hey, move to Bossier you will be a lot safer..."--come on now those people are scared to death when they read that the only thing protecting them from being gunned down is a few freaking bridges!!! What a way to make them want to move here. Do you really think that bashing Shreveport will somehow help Bossier?? How many of you that bash Shreveport have been raped or stabbed or shot while shopping or eating in Shreveport????? I would have to guess not so many that speak about it so much.

I have lived in Shreveport my whole entire life and NOT ONE TIME seen a stabbing, shooting, rape, theft, etc. ever happen and or had it happen to me OR my family or close friends. In fact the I can't think of one that I know of at all off the top of my head.

And for education.....

There are a handful of school in Bossier---- a LONG LIST of school in Shreveport....of course there is going to be a HUGE difference in the education between the two cities. BUT the TOP SCHOOLS ARE IN SHREVEPORT!! There is a list every year that comes out in The Times and guess what guys....#1 high school, middle, and elementry is from SHREVEPORT.....and in Shreveport we have options for schooling--Magnet programs, if you want the best education that is the way to go!! Plus your kids get an all around education with music, art, and PE being mandatory in all caddo schools, NOT IN BOSSIER schools.

We really should stop the hatred b/w one side or the other, but embrace both. When someone asks advice for moving here, we should not terrify them from both by saying by moving here they endager their life, because that is simply not true. I don't think the way to convince someone about this area is to state "bossier is the way to go.." because honestly that doesn't give them much choice and they become deathly afraid of what is over the bridge and as all of us know that have lived here, we cross them all the time. You can't just simply live your life in one city or the other. We have to coincide.

I think that we should get some COMMUNITY PRIDE and join as one Shreveport-Bossier not constantly find ways to bash the other.

But that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 07:08 AM

5 posts, read 34,172 times
I agree!!!!!! I feel the need to stick up for Shreveport as well!! My husband and I have been living in Shreveport for 6 years and have NEVER, EVER, EVER once had anything bad happen to us. Shreveport has it's bad areas just like everywhere else. But if you take the time and do your research and find out where these bad areas are...and then avoid them...you will be fine! Shootings and murders and rapes don't occur ALL over Shreveport!!! And not only that....but guess what??? Bossier City has it's bad areas also!!! Heck, just the other day I heard of someone trying to rape a young teenage girl at the Pierre Bossier Mall!!! I too...am tired of everyone bashing Shreveport. Not ALL of Shreveport is bad. Please do not discourage new comers from moving to Shreveport because the crime rate is "supposedly" higher then Bossier. The areas that the crime is high in does not mean it's high for every area in Shreveport. Shreveport is a really good place to live...in my opinion..and I certainly am not going to be the one to discourage people from moving here or living here. This city has treated us wonderful in the past 6 years. We are Military and actually may be looking at a PCS next year, so I will actually be sad to leave this city. It's not as bad as all the Shreveport bashers make it out to be! So please...if you are looking to move to this area...consider all the wonderful things that Shreveport has to offer. We did :-) And we don't regret it :-)

Old 09-15-2007, 09:09 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
Shreveport is a gorgeous city, and outside of New Orleans is the most beautiful city in Louisiana to be in at night. The violent crimes occur in certain neighborhoods mostly, and as the original poster stated, MOST residents of this fine city have never been victimized. I will be honest I've been victimized in Bossier more often than Shreveport, but I really brought that all on myself as a young man growing up over there. I've worked in one of Shreveport's worst neighborhoods for nearing 10 years now and have never been vicitimized. I've come across crime scenes more than once, and have even witnessed a police chase through that neighborhood, but I have never really felt unsafe in that neighborhood.

And now... the very beautiful, very urban city of Shreveport, Louisiana, through MY eyes. These are just a handful of the THOUSANDS of photos I've taken of this great southern city over the past year. Please do enjoy.

This post is for Shreveport bashers of all kinds... locals and outsiders alike.

...Shreveport's unrivaled freeway stacks. Shreveport has quite a few freeway stacks that are truly unrivaled in Louisiana outside of New Orleans. Most cities Shreveport's size can't even compare. Shreveport truly does have a great freeway system.

Shreveport... truly a beautiful, charming southern city. In another thread some imbecile had to throw out his opinion that Shreveport is mostly "country," while Baton Rouge is mostly urban. I highly doubt anyone viewing these photos will think "mostly country."

...and FYI all the above photos are copyright SBC Photo.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM

wow!!!! you have taken some really AMAZING pictures!!!!!! those are GREAT!

I am glad that someone sees my side of things. I really like the city I have grown up in and I truely believe that if everyone would take a little more pride that things would improve tremendously for us overall.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 34,172 times
Nice pictures!!! I really enjoyed looking at them :-) I'm also glad to see that someone shares my positive view point about Shreveport as well :-)

Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 AM

yeah i am glad to see someone out there also...

Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
There are TONS of people who are proud of Shreveport-Bossier and Shreveport in general. It's just that, for whatever reason, the internet seems to attract mostly those who have nothing but negative things to say

But to hell with them. As I've always said, if you don't like it you're more than welcome to leave and take your backward attitude with you. We need less backward people, and more progressive people who have pride for their home city.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 AM

4 posts, read 21,674 times
I have spent many decades in Shreveport. I was born there (Schumpert) and grew up there. I am so glad that there are people who spend time promoting the place. Why? I still have property there.
The town has become a tacky gaming center for the Dallas Metroplex. Churches are the size of shopping malls. Corruption is rampant. The sales tax is astronomical. Gang activity, drug addiction, shaky infrastructure, and an inferior school system is prominent.
I lived in a decent area (South Highlands). My home was burglarized twice in three years. The young cop who took the last call to my home was on his way to Farmington NM. A town about the third of the size of Shreveport would double his pay.
State Income Tax: over 7%. Sales Tax: 9%. There are no exeptions on food or medicine. Property taxes are very low. Real Estate is inflated in Shreveport and Bossier. One can get more for the dollar in any other city in Louisiana or Texas.
I am telling you the truth.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 AM

134 posts, read 370,626 times
I am not from Shreveport, and I must say that when my husband came home with pcs papers here, I was every bit skeptical and nervous. But, I have been here for a few years and I love it! Sure, it's not the largest place, it's not the most beautiful, There are alot of stores and things that I have to travel or shop online for, but I have actually FALEN IN LOVE with it! There is something undeniably unique about Shreveport that after a while you just can't deny. I feel safe where I am, and other than the occasional drunk leaving the bars dowtown, I have seen anything unsafe..I have NEVER EVER felt unsafe. Yes oh Yes for all of you negative thinkers, there is crime. But for those who are sooooo worried about that let's take a little ride to a place called Houston, New Orleans, Boston, Philly, heck, Detroit even...Then we can show you crime at it's finest. Or as far as gang activity, our church does LOTS of work in the more less fortunate areas(Queensborough, Stoner Hill, Cedar Grove, etc), and when we do our missionary work, deliver food and even provide rides, we have been offered nothing less that classic southern hospitality. No I have never been shot at, No ones ever tried to sell me drugs(although there is a girl I used to work with from Keithville who offered me some meth once). I have never been raped. And you know whats even more shocking, we have ended up doing misson work well into the night....Gangs? sure everywhere in america has a group of people who choose to hang together and do illegal/dumb things but hey if you would really like to see what a true official gang is...I can take you to Oakland, or even South Texas and locate members of the most dangerous gang in America right now..MS-13. But anyway, to say the least with my husband and father both being Military, I have had the luxury of living and travelling to many places. I can honestly say that little 'ole Shreveport has found a touching place in my heart. And although my husband is currently Deployed now(I miss you chris!), we have been in talks to extend his time here because the people we have met and fell in love with, in addition to a certain "bond" we have formed with the area is simply beautiful.....

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedill View Post
State Income Tax: over 7%. Sales Tax: 9%. There are no exeptions on food or medicine. Property taxes are very low. Real Estate is inflated in Shreveport and Bossier. One can get more for the dollar in any other city in Louisiana or Texas.
I am telling you the truth.
With all respect, there are some inaccuracies here:

(1) The top income tax rate in Louisiana is 6%. And there are also 2 and 4% tax brackets.
(2) You pay NO state sales tax on consumable food and prescriptions. You do still pay the parish portion. Which in EBR is 3 or 4%. You may want to read this: http://www.loudblue.com/stelly/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City