Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times

Advertisements

Back in the territorial wrestling days Shreveport was a hot town for Bill Watts Mid SOuth Wrestling. Some of the wrestlers lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Shreveport had so much potential but the brain drain has hurt the city

In the spring of last year, I had to go to Shreveport to work DSNAP(disaster SNAP) and we stayed at the Hilton downtown. Downtown area is much nicer than Lake Charles and I have to say that I'm actually quite jealous of Shreveport's freeway system! The city, outside of downtown does not look like it has much going for it and it looks like it could be a whole lot more than what it is. Do you guys have a lot of NIMBY type folks in the SBC area?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/louis...se-living.html

Old 05-11-2017, 05:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Shreveport feels like a city the size of BR with it's skyline and freeways. I think Dallas sucked the life out of it. Literally.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
What hurt Shreveport is it's uncontrolled crime which has scared away some prospective businesses/companies from locating there.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 PM

That doesn't make sense.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
how does it not make sense? makes perfect sense...

Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That doesn't make sense.
Why doesn't it? Some companies will not move to a city if it has out of control crime and this has happened to Shreveport. If the city gets crime under control as well as be managed and marketed more efficiently, I have no doubt the city will become much more attractive to other businesses/industries. As to your earlier comment about Shreveport being hurt by Dallas, I agree to a certain extent. I think Shreveport is far enough from the giant known as the Metroplex to where it could have made an even bigger footprint in the Ark-La-Tex and across northern Louisiana.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:17 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
the proximity to Dallas is the biggest attraction for me

Old 05-24-2017, 11:16 AM

16 posts, read 29,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
What hurt Shreveport is it's uncontrolled crime which has scared away some prospective businesses/companies from locating there.
The lack of an educated diverse workforce would keep me from relocating my business there long before crime.

Dallas (where my business is located)...or Chicago...or "insert huge city here" has 10x the crime Shreveport ever dreamed, and it doesn't affect their ability to attract business one iota.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Why doesn't it? Some companies will not move to a city if it has out of control crime and this has happened to Shreveport. If the city gets crime under control as well as be managed and marketed more efficiently, I have no doubt the city will become much more attractive to other businesses/industries. As to your earlier comment about Shreveport being hurt by Dallas, I agree to a certain extent. I think Shreveport is far enough from the giant known as the Metroplex to where it could have made an even bigger footprint in the Ark-La-Tex and across northern Louisiana.
I don't understand the idea of everyone wanting companies to move to a city. If every city had low crime, where would companies move from and to?

What happened with Shreveport is the lack of investment in social programs, education, incubating it's own population so that it can create a sustainable economy with well paying jobs. Crime is a result of poverty and/or lack of economic opportunity so that's the first thing that should be tackled. Corruption in government also leads to a lack of diversification so that the powers that be can keep their power. That's why the 80s bust spelled ruin for the city up until now, it's the same reason why Louisiana as a whole hasn't diversified. And half of the reason why we don't understand this problem and vote these people out is a lack of education, or political awareness to be more precise.

Shreveport should be Dallas IMO. New Orleans should have been a larger version of Houston. Birmingham missed the federal government's offer of a major airport and Atlanta got it, the rest is history. Louisiana missed out on Disney World and now Orlando is the nation's tourism capital. Houston missed out on federal funding for a subway, Atlanta got it instead.

Crime is an issue but it's a symptom of a much more nuanced situation and blaming it on crime is a lazy and fairly incorrect way to place the blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City